1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Leaf Rebate vs IRS tax Credit and Ca rebate program

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by forte88, Nov 12, 2012.

1. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just purchased a Leaf Yesterday and I'm kind of confused about something regarding the rebates. On purchasing the car, I was given a "Nissan" rebate of $9775.00. When I asked the finance manager if that somehow intercepts my IRS tax credit he said "NO". He said any government tax incentives or state rebates are separate and I can file those separately. Not believing this can be true, I also asked my sales man who also just recently purchased a Leaf and he said he plans on claiming his car to the IRS this tax year. So is this true? Nissan is giving me a $9975.00 rebate, AND I can claim my Leaf to the IRS for a $7500.00 credit (my tax liability is much larger than this, so I should get full credit). AND I can submit a rebate request to the California Sustainable Energy Commision. I didn't sign anything that showed they are taking any money from my Taxes. I didn't sign anything for them to claim my refund from the California Sustainable Energy Commission.

If they ARE taking those monies.. the total should be $10,0000, not $9775.00 which would mean that Nissan is collecting 225.00 of my tax credits and rebates. The California Rebate is $2500.00 not "up to" 2500.00. And with my income and Tax Liability.. I should be eligible for the entire $7500.00 credit. Again.. when I brought this up during the purchase.. they told me I can still file for those credits and rebate. Is this true? If true.. on a lease.. if I used all my rebates and tax credits.. it basically makes my payment for me for the entire length of the lease term. Can't be true.. is it?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm confused. Did you buy or lease? If leased, the federal $7500 tax credit typically goes to the lessor (bank) not the lessee (you).

3. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I leased it. But when I leased my Toyota Prius Plug In.. they did not take my 2500.00 tax credit.. And they ALSO said I could file for the IRS 2500.oo tax credit. I only got a 1000.00 dollar toyota rebate. I remember specifically asking the sales about that as well. I even asked Prius Chat's Dianne Whitmire who is a salesperson here if on a lease you can still request the tax credit, and she told me she did on hers. Sorry, I should have been more clear on the lease vs purchase.. Still feels like I bought something :)

4. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The guys at the Nissan Leaf Forums are telling me that the Federal Tax is part of the rebate. I will have to educate the guys at Nissan Today about that little misinformation or.. "fib". However, the California rebate is still claimable. Now what I'm confused about is my Toyota PIP tax. Toyota never gave me $2500.00. I should still be able to claim that.. either that or Toyota ripped me off for 1500.00 out of a tax credit.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing they took the federal credit but not the california one. You can claim a credit if the leasing company did not, but they should be clear when they sell your car.

Nissan and GM typically take the credit to lower your rate. Toyota for some strange reason does not lower your rate.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From my reply to your other thread: