1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Prices LEAF Battery Replacement at $5,499, New Packs More Heat Durable

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jun 28, 2014.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nissan Prices LEAF Battery Replacement at $5,499, New Packs More Heat Durable

FINALLY we got a price! After the discoveries of horrific battery degradation in hot places like Phoenix (My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Lost Battery Capacity and Range / Autonomy, Page 2) and also generally, in many parts of the US, worse degradation than Nissan claimed, they instituted My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF.

But then, they didn't give a battery price. The originally promised "spring" (of 2013). Instead, they waited until last the last minute and announced My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details, a $100/mo battery lease/rental program, that some have dubbed "steal your battery" (SYB). Nissan then went silent.

Anyhow, now they announced the above. Yay! I posted this on MNL:
    Bravo!

I haven't had time to comment until now and the thread has already exploded! After many delays and the disappointing $100/mo "SYB" program instead of a price, I'm very pleasantly surprised to hear all this good news. The price is more reasonable than I expected and I'm glad the warranty portion was answered as well.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely great news. So far no degradation on my pack, but it is good to know that it is only $5499 with exchange of the old pack. I wonder if you could just pay the $6499 for a new one and keep the old one since they "value" the old pack at $1K...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Now I am feeling a lot better about a used Leaf. Knowing there is a route to upgrade the battery, the rest of the car should pretty well run for an incredibly long time. I also like this bit:
    source: Nissan Prices LEAF Battery Replacement at $5,499, New Packs More Heat Durable

The 150 miles becomes a day-trip range to Nashville. I don't need cross country all the time but there is no practical substitute when we need it. These are not ad hoc, we know when we have to go. But being able to get there and stay long enough to recharge and return . . . life is good.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not too much more $$ for batt replacement compared to Toyota quotes approaching $4000 to some Prius owners. Either Toyota is soaking us or Nissan is giving a "subsidized" price?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The battery in the Leaf is much larger. This is a good question!

SCH-R530M ?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I get the impression the Nissan battery-pack replacement is future-priced, selling it now at a price that will eventually become profitable. After all, how many owners would actually purchase one right away anyway?

Cost is likely higher than price currently reflects, but there's no harm from that. In fact, there won't be any need to price adjust later or deal with any of the online nonsense we routinely see with changes being forgotten, overlooked, or intentionally omitted. Subsidizing a little is just another form of warranty.

Being able to upgrade with replacement is an interesting (and much hoped for) twist. Support of older vehicles from on-going improvement with battery chemistry is great. It adds a new dimension to automotive practices. We may come to expect mid-cycle upgrades at some point. At the moment, that's just thought of as a bonus. Everyone is use to having to wait until the next generation. This will likely raise resell value too.

If nothing else, it's nice knowing with this level of certainly. That unknown was always an opportunity to undermine & mislead in the past. Having such a specific expectation will help prevent some FUD nonsense.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep on truckin' nissan!

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was thinking about how many man years the Prius community spent reverse engineering our wonderful cars and how simple is the Leaf. I would need three charts but that would be it.

My hard requirement is to reach Nashville which is 125 miles and a little over 100m higher. I really have to wait for the extended range Leaf but I trust it is coming.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. once a week for lunch with my father, i need a guaranteed 120 miles in any weather, using heat or a/c.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Now we wait to find out how much the stealership adds to the bill for installation.

Addendum: Nissan estimates 3 hours of labor

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius pack: $3,000
    - 2 mile range
    -nimh

Leaf pack: $5,499
    - 60 mile range
    - Lithium

Leaf pack is a much better deal.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can't help but think of buying the LEAF pack for an off-grid home PV setup. With Federal tax credits, and amortized over 20 years since the battery can be babied and starts off with at more than double the capacity I require, it is ~ $13.75 a month.

Compare that to my local co-op that charges $30 a month just for the grid-tie and then 9 cents a kWh for dirty electricity.

Edison is going to get the last laugh. I bet forward thinking homeowners are going to convert to a DC setup and tell the utilities to take a hike LOL

#12 SageBrush, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Having owned two PHEV's, I can tell you highway speeds (70+mph) devour battery range. I assume you'd be driving I-65 but maybe you'd take the back roads. Also, a 150mile battery would need an overnight charge at 240v rates to get back home the next day; something most hotels can't provide. Lastly, the 150mile range may not be EPA rated as the original Leaf was touted as a 100 miler.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is about the range I need too, not counting heat.
    I figure 85 needed in winter. So EPA of 125 should get me about that in most bad winter days.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you might share a paragraph about each and the 'lessons learned?'

The reason I ask is I'm fairly confident in my engineering skills and since 2012, there haven't been that many commercial PHEVs. Before, folks had to 'roll their own.' Worse, some of the commercial PHEVs have been not terribly impresive. Your real-world experience could help.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep.

FWIW, yeah, unfortunately the Leaf was marketed as a "100 mile" car but then EPA ratings came out, which pegged it at 73 miles (for '11 and '12), 75 miles for '13 and "84 miles" for '14. Long story on each of these...

But yeah, the 100 mile crap kept continuing. See My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 100 mi and even a European Nissan exec said about the '13 Leaf being 200 km (!) which is 124 miles: My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 100 mi. :rolleyes: Leaf apparently does get 199 km on an inflated NEDC test...

From Tony's range chart at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Range Chart, a Leaf w/a new battery should be able to achieve 100 miles on level ground, no headwind, no HVAC usage if you average not much above 45 mph...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the thing is, with ev's, everyone's experience is different. i would have to rent one or something to find out if it works for me. we see this everyday with the pip. some get 8 miles, some get 18. you can't go by an epa test or mfg.'s claims. it's the same with gas, but the range is large enough to cover most needs.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, there have been numerous range tests involving the Leaf besides people documenting their records/achievements at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - 100 Mile Club, plus 200 km, 300 km & NEW 200 Mile Club !!!!.

My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - 2012 / 2013 LEAF Range Test San Diego Mar 8, 2013
    My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - 2013 LEAF Range Test Feb 24, 2013 in San Diego; 81 miles
    Driving It To The Bitter End - 2011 Nissan Leaf Long-Term Road Test
    Testing Electric Vehicles in the Real World - I don't like how they added the GOM (guess-o-meter) values to driven distance besides testing an '11 Leaf w/a degraded battery vs. the others.

The range chart I posted is a good rule of thumb for driving w/o heater or AC usage on a new battery. One can see range falls quite a bit as speeds get high as efficiency gets worse (in miles/kWh). Leaf has about 21 kWh usable.

Go 75 mph? Consumption should be 3.0 miles/kWh and you should achieve ~62 miles of range. Go 35 mph? Consumption should be 6.3 miles/kWh and you should achieve 132 miles, which is exactly what Edmunds got.

Heater and AC use will cut range and cold weather will result in temporarily reduced capacity.

#18 cwerdna, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  19. epi117

epi117 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree, im on month 16 on my two year leaf lease. Its been great, but highway speed and uphill are a killer, i mean i can get from home to airport and back with no problem, but it concerning.

On the other hand 99% of my trip are at speeds of 25 to 40, leaf really shines at those speeds.

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is very interesting reading. There is much consternation about the overly inflated PIP cost here in UK forums. It has been worked out from the full cost of the PIP at £32k against the £24k of the similarly specced t-spirit standard Prius minus it's battery, that the HV pack for the PIP is £8,000 or $13,600! Obviously that is madness.

And now with Nissan releasing their pack price just proves that Toyota UK are taking the p***.

I do like the idea of the extended range Leaf. Always thought that was a possibility due to the extra room available. If the pack costs $7k, then a 50% increase in size would be just over $10k? Or just an extra $3,500 for an extra 50/60 miles. Definitely worthwhile, but makes the existing PIP look outdated and overpriced.