1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No factory installed oil filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ref2641, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Ref2641

Ref2641 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brought my new 2010 to get its first oil change today to an independent garage. I supplied the oil and a new Toyota filter. The tech removes the canister and finds no filter inside. 5075 miles on the car and I am very unhappy with this incident. How should I handle this? Thinking metal shavings dirt and everything else has gone unfiltered for 4 months of city driving. Suggestions please.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad you did not get the first oil change at the dealer......
    Now it's gonna be a case of "He Said, You Said"
    Good Luck

3. A_Man

A_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chances are that if you took it to a dealership, they would never have bothered to tell you, because it would mean having to deal with a angry customer.

From my recent experience with Toyota Canada, they'll probably tell you it doesn't matter because you still have warranty left (not taking into account that most of us are not planning to scrap the car when the warranty ends)

My suggestion is that you communicate with Toyota in writing, asking for an explanation, and what they would be willing to do to guarantee that this has not caused excessive wear on your engine. Also get your mechanic to record clearly on the work order that no filter was found in the canister, and send toyota that in your communication. If something happens to the engine, at least you then have proof and a response from toyota.

Good luck!

4. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How would that work? I used to change oil in cars, and a missing filter would gush oil out immediately. Did they just screw a cap on where the oil filter is supposed to go?

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is, unfortunately, nothing you can do. You don't have an ounce of objective evidence. It would be your word and that of your mechanic against a giant corporation with buildings full of lawyers that would be able to "prove" that such a thing could never happen.

The car will probably be OK. I might give it an early oil change next time.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :eek: Unbelievable. But probably not the first time though... take it up with Toy and get a statement from the mechanic.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This car has a cartridge type oil filter, kind of like cars used during the 50s and before. Putting it together without a filter element in the housing would cause no leaks and, as in the OPs Prius, would not be discovered until it was removed to change the filer element.

There are pictures in the .pdf attached to post #1 of this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../67747-oil-change-2010-prius-do-yourself.html

1 person likes this.
  8. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with all of this, but emphasize that it cannot hurt to try. Get everything in writing as mentioned above, send it up the corporate ladder one step at a time, and ask for an extended warranty on the engine, or extra coverage of some type (however it might be phrased). If you can get names, get them on the phone, be very polite but firm--don't yell and threaten lawsuits, but tell them how disappointed you are and how much you love the car otherwise etc., and you are hopeful that they can be of help to you. No guarantees, but it sometimes works. It is unfortunate--you cannot prove an absence--but be persistent and document everything.

Lastly, I'd suggest doing used oil analyses--numerous ones--to doument any engine damage, or the potential.

You have my sympathy. Best of luck.
    ~T