1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No gas/gas stations closed in NY... trouble brewing..

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ny_rob, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since Hurricane Sandy hit NY on Monday- there have been severe gas shortages in the five boroughs also including Long Island. The local (NJ) refineries shut down before the hurricane and the tanker trucks can't get through the tunnels/bridges to supply the area once the refinery opened back up they do get gas. There are 4+hour lines at stations that actually have gas, with local police personnel on hand to keep things under control. Most of the area stations are just closed now. It's getting pretty crazy- even our letter carrier told me he had a fight with the postmaster this morning who asked him to give up his fully fueled vehicle.

I filled my PIP last Thursday night before the hurricane hit on Monday because last year before hurricane Irene hit it was impossible to get gas the day before the storm . I did go to work Monday morning (left for home at 10am when things started getting pretty bad and the state started announcing 12 noon road closings). Went to work again Tues, Wed, Thurs and today Friday.

As of today I'm at one pip above half on the fuel indicator... I've been charging at home and at the Chargepoint station at work. This morning on the way in- without all the huge SUV's on the Long Island Expressway pushing 75mph, I could actually drive at a reasonable speed of 61-65mph (on a 55mph limit rd). Driving at that speed- I actually attained 100mpg for the trip once I arrived at my job this morning- the trip from home to work is 28.3 miles. I used just over a quart of gas to get to work! I figure I have enough for at least another full week of commutes to work- I also have a 6 gallon tank of gas in my shed- and two more full 6 gallon tanks at a relatives house who borrowed my generator but didn't need the extra gas cause his power came on the next day.

Last night I had to drive my mother to church, so we combined that with her usual Saturday grocery shopping and her pharmacy trip- my wife also tagged along and we did our weekend grocery shopping too while mom was in church! All on 100% electric... no gas.

Toyota has done an amazing job with the Prius, and even more amazing is the PIP!
    Now that gas is scarce around here- I appreciate the electric capability of the PIP even more..

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The above paragraph said it all.

Thanks for sharing.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also offered to drive any of my co-workers around for local errands today as long as it's within electric range- and that they pull in my parking spot at the charging station (that is always occupied all day long by ICE vehicles as soon as I leave it once my morning charge is complete at 10:15am every morning) so I can recharge for the ride home.

Corwyn and Tracksyde like this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In about 3 years I will sell my 2012 Prius and get the PIP. I always hear great stories like this one.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Call me stupid, but I have 40 gallons of gas stored in my garden shed in five gallon metal jerry cans. I put Stabil in them and rotate them to my cars.

Maybe, I will never need it, but that's great insurance for my cars and my generator.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Irvine Comany ( A large Property management company) energy guy stopped in and offered free electric consulting in tow with the SDG&E consultant. I said you guys should install Charging Stations in the parking garage for the EV drivers. He immediately got defensive. Too bad.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope riots don't start to break out... been reading it is getting pretty tense.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using up EV power just maneuvering around fuel lines to get to work and back.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There is actually plenty of gas, it is mainly that 60% of the stations don't have power and so they can't pump the gas they have.
    I applaud all owners of fuel efficient vehicles. Times like this show how much efficiency really pays off.

10. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why call you stupid? I'd call you smart. Personally I don't understand why people who know a disaster is on the way DONT store more gas if they're able. (I do understand apartment dwellers can't do it.) :)

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are those who compare us with "apocalypse"end of the world"prepers."

I'm just careful. I have water for 2-3 weeks, food for the same period, various non-electric or non-gas cooking stoves, a kerosene heater and 20 gallons of kersosene.

I don't tell and of the neighbors that I have it and hide it from the sight of others.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  12. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing wrong with being a Prepper and people who take care of themselves and their families don't have to rely on govmin't handouts/welfare. I'm a bit of a Prepper myself. I have between 55 and 110 gallons of gas onhand all the time. I have LOTS of freeze dried and dehydrated food, along with 1/2 ton of hard red wheat. Antibiotics bought from a farm supply store....moooo. The necessary guns and ammo to protect it all. A supply of trade goods. I had a propane fueled generator installed and attached to my house wiring along with a 500 gallon filled propane tank. Solar panels, new in boxes. Garden and sealed cans of Heirloom seeds. We live in a small town and live near a year round creek.

My wife thinks I'm nuts but she'll come abeggin' for a handout IF the crap hits the fan....hahahaha.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 411 miles and used about 5 gallons of gas. At this rate, I can go another 400 miles but the fact that there is only 5 gallons in my tank is making me nervous. I am going to fill it up after work today.

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I call that smart!
    I had 3 full six gallon jugs in my shed- I gave 2 away to relatives to use with my generator (which also had a full 5 gal tank before I lent it out) after the hurricane ended. Now I'm a bit nervous only having 6 gal in reserve. Live and learn- as soon as this incident is over I'll fill the other two spare six gal jugs I have, so at that point I'll have 30 gal in reserve.

15. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw two lines of about 1/2 mile long this morning for a gas station that wasn't even opened yet. I think they were waiting for a delivery. Your best best is with a Hess or Gulf station since their tanks are located on the Island. Also, a tanker is supposed to pull into Port Jeff today.

I think the problem will be resolved by Sunday. According to the LIPA map there are still 524K customers without electricity. I don't think it's up to date, since it hasn't changed that much since this morning.

16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Hess at exit 71 on the LIE had 1/2mile long line this afternoon- the station had three police cars on the scene to keep the peace... unbelievable! I saw on the news ppl pushing their cars in the line to the pumps... they ran out while waiting in line. One guy got 57 cents worth before the pump ran dry- he said he's been waiting four hours.

If PIP's don't sell now- they never will....

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people are getting big surprises when they find out some stations won't fill their containers unless they're approved for gasoline.

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. blakemster

blakemster Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

And O'Bama has gone to Vegas, after he got his photo opps ... niiiiiiice

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went to a local gas station on my way for dinner. No gas there. The station was closed off with police line and a cop car standing by.