1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise coming from back seat battery vent

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 'E', Jul 26, 2014.

1. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all. I've been doing a lot of research for the problem I'm having but I can't seem to find an answer so I figured it was time to ask for some help.

A few weeks ago I started to notice that the battery vent fan was turning on way more than usual. I've had the car now for five years (34K miles) and I've only heard the fan go on a handful of times, even in the hot Las Vegas summers. Once I really started to pay attention to it I noticed the noise only started once I hit about 30-35 mph and got louder as I went faster. As I slowed down, the noise would get quieter and eventually stop as the car came to a stop.

This week I caved and brought the car in to the dealer to get checked out and they did an inspection of the vent, fan and did a complete diagnostic on the hybrid system and batteries. I was worried about damage to the traction battery if the vent fan was malfunctioning or clogged. I'm out of warranty with no extended coverage so I was pretty shocked that the dealer didn't charge me a dime to do the tests. All the tests came back clean and they said all the systems tested above average and that the fan was operating normally so I shouldn't worry about it.

But the noise still persists and it's starting to drive me a little batty. It has never made this much noise before. Is there something else that could be going on that the dealer missed? Maybe the noise I'm hearing is something else and it only sounds like it's coming from that area?

I guess I won't really know if it is heat related until things start to cool down here in a few months. If anyone has experienced this and has some insight please let me know. Thanks for the help.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you buy new? What total miles does the car have? Or is 34k the total? Do you have dogs that sit on the back seat. Is the rear fan vent covered up by accident? Are you running the a/c hard? Does the noise sound like an old hairdryer? Or could it be the a/c compressor at the front? That can make a loud buzzing noise when on full. It is said it draws about 4kw from the 1.5 kwh battery. Mine buzzes even more when the a/c gas is low.

3. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It was bought new, I've been the only driver. The car has a total of 33-34k miles on it. I do have a dog (Beagle) that sits in the back once in a while. I did tell the service adviser about the dog and asked them to make sure the vent wasn't clogged and to clean it if necessary. I'd say I'm not running the A/C harder than I have in the past. Noise does sound a bit like a hair dryer.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they report specifically about the cleanliness of the fan? or just 'everything normal'? a lot of testing is done electronically, and not taken apart and visually inspected, which is time consuming and would unlikely be free.

5. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I specifically asked if the vent was clean and clear and they said it was fine.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it concerns you, i would either diy it per the thread here, or take it to a mechanic willing to disassemble it with you looking on. i don't think there is anything else back there to make a hair dryer noise while you're driving. it could be that the fan is running at a higher speed than in the past which might indicate a warmer battery and potential problem going forward. keep in mind, dealers look fore trouble codes, they don't have time to try an diagnose a problem outside their computer parameters.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd invest in a cheap ling hemostat off of eBay or $5 from Harbor Freight and a thin powerful LED flashlight like those that you get free with a coupon from Harbor Freight.

Make sure the fan is off and regularly snag the hair and debris with the hemostat.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really suspect the Las Vegas 110 degree heat is causing the fan to come on more often. You seem to just now seem to notice the fan more. If you are concerned about the dog hair, ask the dealer to do a "HV battery fan cleaning", shouldn't be more than 1 hours worth of labor. It has nothing to do with the vents, it's the actual fan itself. If dog hair collect on it, it will not function as well, thus maybe the reason why it's constantly on, louder because it's not working properly from dog hair. Just a guess though......

dorunron and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  9. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got off the phone with the service manager and he reviewed all the information from the visit on Monday. He says from what he can see the mechanic only checked the vent and not the fan itself. He said the fan is quite possibly clogged with dog fur (since I have a bread that sheds heavily) and he wants me to bring it back again. He's also no going to charge me since it should have been done the first time. I'll report back Tuesday when the car goes in again.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

Okinawa likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What a great dealer, definitely not your typical stealership type of operation.

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If I were you I would stay with that dealer. He is a good one.

12. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree that it's probably a combination of the heat here in Vegas and a clogged fan. The fan is probably working overtime to get the job done. This dealership has surprised me with their customer service lately. This is the second out of warranty repair they have done for no charge and they gave me coupon for a free green service when I had to wait too long to get the last recall service done.

13. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am! There is a much closer dealer but I stay with this one because the service has been far superior.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be curious to see if they do find the fan clogged up with fur. If it was, then that's your problem. If it isn't, then hmmm maybe the heat.

dorunron and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's the fan, and they get it cleaned, trying putting some coarse weave filter material at the inlet, from now on. With a bit of wrenching you can tuck it in behind the grill, looks cleaner. Or on the outside. With a dog in the car there will be a lot of hair floating around.

16. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree; it's the dog hair in the fan that needs to be cleaned.

17. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed when getting a gen 3 after having a gen2 that the gen2 has a tube going from the traction battery right to the 12v battery and pout of the car, on the gen 3 the tube is gone, now the spare tire area is included in the air circulation, and I noticed a lot more noise when driving, I put sound deadening around the spare and it's less noticeable, I like the hemostats to unclog the fan idea
    [​IMG]

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Getting down to the fan yourself is a moderately easy DIY. The main issue is the $#%&*!! fasteners holding the hatch flooring to the top of the battery. Gentle prying with various trim piece type pry bars will get it off, hopefully without breakage. You can leave 75 % of them off at re-assembly, the floors still plenty secure. And when you get down to the fan, it's still tough to get it right out. I left it in and just looked at it (ours was clean). I think with tools like the above, plus some compressed air, you could clean it in-place.

dorunron likes this.
  19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The contrast between these two fans indicates the damage dog hair in the fan can do;

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

dorunron likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    give that dealer a shout out so others can enjoy being treated like a human being!(y)