1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise / Vibration proportional to speed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kensiko, Jan 20, 2014.

1. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys, I'm worried about a possible issue with my Prius.

I bought it last year. This summer I noticed a noise proportional to speed when running below 40 mph where there is not much wind noise. I assumed it was due to my tires, but it was not a tire noise, more like a bearing noise.

When I switched to my winter tires, I was still able to hear the same noise. Now I can hear it better, it could be worse than before. It's making more noise than the engine! Yesterday I lifted the front wheels and tested the rotation in EV mode. I couldn't increase the speed to more than 10 mph due to the traction control system. I tested each wheel independently and both. I could hear some noise but I'm not sure if this noise was normal. It was the same noise with 1 or 2 wheels.

Did anybody here ever had their Prius lifted and heard the noise coming from the rotation of the wheels in EV mode?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't think it's a wheel bearing? how many miles on her?

3. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    188000 km / 117000 miles.

I first thought it would be a wheel bearing, but it's the same noise for both of them. While that is totally possible it would still be a coincidence.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose it could be in the transaxle. you think the noise is right at the wheels? brake pads rubbing?

5. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    No I'm not sure that the noise is coming from the wheels. I'm not even sure that the noise I heard with the raised wheels was the same of what I can hear while driving or it's just a normal rotation sound.

Is the transaxle used in EV mode?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty sure it is. did you try putting it in neutal and spinning the wheels by hand? when i had a noise, i had someone walk alongside the car while driving slowly in ev, and also sit in the hatch.

7. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    I thought of doing it but didn't, I'll try that next time. For the rear wheels it seemed ok but it was not easy to turn because the brake pads were rubbing.

8. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Checked with my father this last week-end. He is a mechanic. He is almost sure that the front left wheel bearing is due and possibly the right too.

I ordered an SKF bearing for 300$ shipped, I hope the quality will be sufficient for my low mileage (10000 km / year).

9. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    I received the bearing, it says made in Japan, good thing :)

10. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    I ordered a 12pt 32mm box and it's too big, I guess it was 30mm after all as seen here:

11. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    First bearing was replaced (front left). Had less noise but was still present.

Replaced the other bearing (front right), noise is gone.

Problem resolved!
    Cost: 650$. Done with my father. Was easy but the bearing was stuck in the aluminum frame.

12. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    had a bearing go in my HHR . same symptoms. when I turned one way it got worse, the other way it went away. bearing was only about 80 bucks for a timken..