1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northeast Passage 2013

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 18, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It looks like 2013 will also have a good tonnage year. The NorthEast passage has one segment with 10-30% sea ice, probably ice breaker assisted passage, and everything else along the coast is clear. I also found this impressive interactive chart showing the transits in 2011.

The trend is clear that September is when the bulk of the transits occur before the cold returns makes the NorthEast impassible. So the rest of August through September we'll see how much it gets used.

Shipping needs an assurance that the passage will be open. With 2011 and 2012 providing good access and the pattern of thinning Arctic Sea ice well established, it is very likely we'll see more tonnage headed that way. Eventually, the NorthWest passage too but the NorthEast passage looks to be improving.

Bob Wilson

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FlaP,

I confess I am no climate scientist, but I do live in the the sub arctic where the effect of snow and ice is profound. I have also read numerous scholarly and anecdotal reports suggesting that decreased albedo in arctic have a real potential to help accelerate climate change. Small inputs have large effects. Earlier ice free leads to warmer water, which leads to later freeze up, which in turn leads to earlier ice free etc.

The effect can be felt further down, in lower latitudes. The ability of the arctic to reflect or absorb heat, and to radiate cold has a profound effect on lower latitudes. What many folks don't realize is that how the (accelerated) changes happening in the far north, effect those further south.

Icarus

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It must be understood that my comments here are not in defense or support of any viewpoint about AGW. While albedo effects should have some ripple effects, they must be kept in perspective of the total system effects. It would be almost automatic for an natural ice variation to be mistaken for a pure AGW effect by anyone looking at it for the first time or not exposed to it first hand like I was.

Having studied and observed the arctic ice extensively for months, it was clear to me that it is "always" in flux. In the 1980, the understanding of widespread ice behavior was a real void. Long before AGW was remotely an issue, Arctic Ice was known to be extremely variable at the fringes (since the fringes varied by 100s of miles from year to year). There could be more cold war knowledge of ice behavior than open source knowledge.

The arctic regions could be extremely sensitive to what humans are doing in the middle latitudes. But wide variations in natural behavior need to be considered as a high likelihood given the extremely limited thickness compared to all other ice expanses in the world. Extensive arctic ice records of what the sea ice has done over a long stretch of history is pretty sparse since it was far from civilization and was something best avoided by all ships.

austingreen likes this.
  4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^agreed

Icarus

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^No news here! The passage has been historically more closed than open!

This article is sorta like saying it snowed somewhere today, ergo, there is no global warming/climate change! A bit of cherry picking at the very least!

Here a good day,

Icarus

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Indeed, the NorthEast passage is what remains commercially open and the Russians have made ice breaker investments to make sure that stays the case. Given the likely fossil fuels in that area, it makes a lot of sense . . . until they are gone.

Bob Wilson

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Arctic Open for Business : Discovery News

As the sea levels rise, the land touching ice sheets will lift a little allowing more sea water to lubricate the bottoms of the coastal glaciers. It will be interesting to see what happens in Antarctica in February/March/April.

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The last gap of 10-30%, sea ice is about 1/3d of the coastal area to the east of the Severnaya Zemlya Island group and a smaller section to the mainland on the southeast corner. My understanding is either, fairly short section can be navigated without an ice re-enforced hull.

The Northern route is still likely to have icebergs so navigation there still needs to be careful. Still, looks to be a pretty good, commercial season in the Northeast passage:
    • 2011 - first navigation season
    • 2012 - second season, doubling navigation
    • 2013 - third season, largest number of permits todate
    Bob Wilson

10. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Where did you get that information? Icebergs in the Arctic Ocean are rare, so I would like to learn more about where they came from.

11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I understand it, the vast majority of icebergs in the north are calves from Greenland glaciers. These tend to sail down Davis Strait into the north Atlantic above Newfoundand. (see also Titanic!)

Floating sea ice slabs are not really considered in bergs, but are non the less dangerous to vessels.

As a side note, I was on the Northern Coast of Newfoundland in the fall of 2011. The remnants of an iceberg that had called off in greenland that was reported to b the size of Manhatten Island was grounded for months in the Bay of St. Anthony . The parts of this berg scattered along the N. coast of the Island of Newfoundland for most of the fall. Locals had never seen bergs so late in the fall as that year. Some of the smaller "Bergy bits" we as big or bigger thn a cruise ship. Pretty impressive. I believe this was the berg whose calving was filmed by the filmmaker of "Chasing Ice"

Icarus

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  13. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    From a submarine view, arctic ice is something fairly easily avoided by going under it. Not so with a big iceberg. Those can ruin your day. However really big northern icebergs are exclusively a Greenland product (the glacier generating an deep iceberg must be really thick at the calving point). They then have to go a long long way North to get into the Arctic. Once in the Arctic, they are blocked by the ice sheet from moving very fast. The bottom line is submarines don't find icebergs that far north in the ice regions. A little counterintuitive for sure....but not impossible by any means.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is time to call out a fib. The claimed 69% increase (as of Aug 25 or a bit earlier) is not compared to the same date in 2012. Instead, it compares Aug 17, 2013, to the season and all-time record low of Sept 16, 2012.

Comparing Aug 25 2013 (5589531 units km^2) to the same date in 2012 (4138125), the increase is just 35%.

Compared to the same dates in prior years, coverage on Aug 25 2013 was:
    10% higher than 2011;
    1% higher than 2010;
    1% lower than 2009;
    5% higher than 2008;
    15% higher than 2007;
    7% lower than 2006;
    4% lower than 2005;
    9% lower than 2004;
    13% lower than 2003;
    8% lower than 2002;
    7% lower than 2000s average;
    21% lower than 1990s average;
    27% lower than 1980s average.

To see this graphically, and for the whole year, see my graph in post #36.

mojo and icarus like this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What an interesting thought, submergible cargo barges towed by nuclear submarines. But until then, surface ships find and are held up by little more Arctic ice than submarines find.

UPDATE: Apparently the Chinese are thinking about this in a patent application.

Fortunately, the Northeast passage appears to be a new shipping route with significant shipping advantages over other routes between the Pacific and Atlantic. The shipping season will vary so companies need accurate information about Arctic weather. Still, the savings are significant.

Perhaps in another 5-10 years we might be able to take a cruise through the Northeast passage. I can think of a few names to write in the snow . . .

Bob Wilson

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect you are correct .
    Im going to contact Goddard and see whats true.
    But otherwise touche.
    Good call.
    Anyway 30% increase from 2012 is huge.
    The point being the Arctic is not going to be ice free this year.
    Meanwhile the Antarctic is at record high ice levels.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, but I would think airships would be far cheaper, and more practical. Not least because they can also service places inland.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The raw data is at http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/plot.csv

When the average summer minimum of the 1980s was 110% greater than the 2012 summer minimum, this year's 30% increase doesn't sound very impressive.
    Volume, or surface area? They are not the same. I think we were already talking about the distinction in a couple other threads.