1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil - Synthetic vs real?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mikenancy1, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mikenancy1

mikenancy1 2012 PiP (Base), '10 Highlander Hybrid, '05 Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now that my car is at 30,000 miles and I'm footing the bill for oil changes, anyone have thoughts on any advantages of spending the extra bucks for synthetic rather than just getting a regular oil change?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably not a big deal but I thought Gen3 people mostly use synthetic, I use Mobil-1 from Walmart $22.60 and there are even chpeaer brands I think. With synthetic I perceive I can procrastinate to replace, with dino I think probably 5000 miles is about it.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you want to stick with 0W20 I think all the choices are synthetic. As far as saving money: check with the dealership parts department how much their Toyota 0W20 is. Up here I get liters for $5.65 CAN.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think the powertrain warranty is 60,000 miles, I would try to preserve that. Use the recommended fluids, do the recommended service, don't give Toyota an 'out'.

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't feel like I could go too much past 5k miles with regular stuff but don't have a problem going over 10k miles with synthetic. So you'll actually be saving money with synthetic (not to mention helping the environment in a small way).

mtbiker53 likes this.
  6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I exclusively use synthetic but am not qualified to discuss actual benefits.
    It just makes me feel good to know that I'm not using dinosaurs. And whether it's accurate or not, I want to believe there's a real benefit to using synthetic.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For me, it's simple: if you like engine-wear, don't use synthetic.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just reading up a little. Synthetic oils can be purely synthetic, or derived from modified petroleum products:

Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a snap of Toyota 0W20, left side after about 4500 km's (6 months governs with our usage), right side new:

combined.jpg

CapeAnn likes this.
  9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The color isn't always the best way to measure the lubricating quality of the oil. It's more a sign of how cleanly the engine is burning fuel.

If I didn't trust my synthetic oil, I'd get the oil analyzed, to see if any metal is getting into the oil. If I wasn't getting free oil changes, I'd have no problem at all with changing my oil twice a year.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I agree, should have mentioned that. But it does dirty up pretty quick.

Hang on, you're in Canada. Does the dealership give you a hard time about doubling the Canadian service interval (8000 km or 6 months? From your postings about oil intervals, I keep picturing your location as a little tributary of US soil, kinda like West Berlin. ;)

Did you buy a service plan?? I didn't know Toyota Canada is offering free oil changes.

Even if they did, I'd still DIY, enjoy taking care of it myself, don't overfill, the underpanel's still in one piece, the filter housing and drain bolt are pristine, my door hinges don't look like the tars sands, and so on.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use synthetic....

But after watching Jurassic Park, I'll do anything to get back at those damn Dinosaurs.

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use synthetic, change the oil every 10,000 miles and let the dealer change it.

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy, if that makes you feel good, then you get your money worth.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    • The dealer is offering free oil changes for life, but I don't know if Toyota is sponsoring it or not.
    • I didn't buy any extended service plan.
    • Canada uses the metric system, but everyone, both American and Canadian understands US units, so I convert.
    • When I'm responsible for my own maintenance, I use synthetic oil and change it twice a year; been doing that for decades.
    PS, Only 5% of the oil sands is surface mined, the rest is extracted from drilled wells. The term "tar sands" is incorrect, as it contains no tar.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    partly correct. In large part - oil degradation comes from getting washed out & broken down with blow-by gasses. I converted one of my ICE cars to run straight LPG. Danged if it's oil didn't still look like honey - even after 30K miles. I could hardly believe it even tho I was previously told that this would be the case. One of PC's members converted to LPG & experienced the same results - as have many other Prius owners
    [​IMG]

#15 hill, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  16. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Use Your Dip Stick Man! I say synthetic every 10,000 and if you have to do something every 5, change your oil filter and top off.

iPhone ?

17. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Real thing ( in title) you mean extract of > 65- million- year- old dead dinosaurs? :)
    I would prefer a chemical intentionally synthesized for a purpose of lubrication.

Alex

18. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ask because I have no clue. How many dead dinos go into making synthetic oil?

19. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I might be wrong, but I think they use natural gas as a raw starting material for synthesis of synthetic oil. It's much cleaner and more uniform than oil. BTW the hydrogen for fuel cell cars is made from natural gas too.
    Alex

20. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And what about the production facility and petroleum-based energy for the production itself?