1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ON/OFF again Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PristinePrius, Oct 24, 2013.

1. PristinePrius

PristinePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, as my first post about my headlight issue stated, I don't know hardly anything about cars. The deep details anyway. Anyways, a little less than a month ago the "check engine light" came on and I panicked. Lit up orange, not red and it was flashing, just a stagnant orange check engine light. I tried do some research and found that the gas cap was the majority reason why it tends to go on.

I checked my gas cap, and I thought it seemed lose by what it seemed like a simple screw off. So I screwed it back on and made sure I heard the couple clicks. After about 2-3 runs and turning the car on and off the light disappeared, thank you jebus!

The next day, was driving and it came back on. I didn't even mess with the gas cap...over the next period of days, it turned off..then turned on again. Has anyone, anyone at all experienced this? I have a check engine light that doesn't know what it wants to do.

Thanks in advance

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should have the diagnostic trouble code(s) read to have a clue about what is wrong with your car's engine.

3. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know about the code reader, waiting to get it from a family member. Just wanted to know if this happened to someone else to what I might be finding out.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check under the hood?
    Check the oil dipstick. May be out of oil.

5. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pulled the codes today... Had a scare while coming home, the Exclamation point triangle came on for a couple secs, then went away. Did this about three times. I was about 20 minutes minutes from home, I stopped turned off the car, checked under the hood, no smoke or smell. Jumped back on the freeway and it came on again, this time I glanced at the screen and the little temperature icon came on in the corner, again, the light went off. Got home and pulled the codes, my father in law looked under the hood and the cap to the coolant wasn't screwed on so he screwed and tightened it. The codes came up P1116 COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR (CTS) CIRCUIT STACK FOR COOLANT HEAD STORAGE SYSTEM & P1121. COOLANT FLOW CONTROL VALAVE POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT STACK. It would be more than awesome if the codes and light problem were just due to the cap basically being off, but I have a feeling it isn't that simple. One can hope right? So, does anyone have any experience in this? Thanks in advance!

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was it low on coolant? Can you post a picture of the cap that was not on correctly? How many miles are on it?

Avi

7. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can tell you the miles are high, We bough the car used from the toyota dealership Mar 12 and the milage was 174,ooo something. Yes I know, the miles are high. But the car has not given us ONE problem until this. The cap is on the passanger side, silver one almost under the black plastic hood accesory, basically near the light. Checked coolant and it seemed a little low. But I have a question, there are two yellowish jugs, one is near the top by the motor filled with pink stuff and that's not low. Then the other similiar yellow jug container (the one thats next to the coolant cap), took off the cap, and the pink stuff isn't anywhere to be seen just looking in the hole, are these two jugs one in the same? Both coolant containers, one for the electric motor and one for the regular?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there are two coolant containers. One is located immediately behind the engine radiator, near the radiator cap that you found was loose. That is the overflow container for the engine radiator, and the fluid level needs to be at the line.

The other coolant container is positioned between the engine and the inverter (the inverter has the shiny aluminum cover). That is for the inverter/transaxle coolant and the fluid level needs to be at or near the top line.

Use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant to replenish the coolant reservoirs. Do not use other coolant. This can be purchased at your local Toyota dealer's parts department for ~$22 per gallon. The coolant is already premixed with distilled water, so you just need to pour it in.

Also keep an eye on the engine coolant level since there may be a leak somewhere. For example, look at the engine coolant pump to see if it is leaking fluid onto the inside of the pump pulley or the air conditioning compressor housing which is below the engine coolant pump. Also look at the engine coolant hoses for a leak.

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The one next to the inverter (silver box that says "hybrid synergy drive" on it) is for the hybrid system. The other (next to the radiator cap) is for the engine. They are separate systems. If you look into the neck on the one for the engine you will likely not see anything. I put a flashlight up to it and look at the level at the back of the bottle.

I would start with making sure the engine cooling system is full and radiator cap on correctly.

Avi

10. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my question is, once I refill, am I pouring the coolant into the one with the silver cap or right into the one with the black rubbery one? I know, it's a stupid question, but this is MY first car I can call my own and a hybrid at that. I'm use to my 88 toyota camry.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to make sure that the radiator is full (which has the silver cap) as well as the overflow container (which has the black rubber cap that snaps on.) Fill both.

If you have to add much fluid to the radiator, then you will need to continue to check the radiator coolant level, first thing each morning, before you drive the car. Continue checking daily, until the radiator coolant level remains totally full at the neck.

Also turn on the cabin heating system, setting the temperature to MAX HEAT, to make sure the heater works and you don't hear air bubbles gurgling around. If you do hear air bubbles, this will need to be purged out of the system.

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The radiator (silver cap) should be full. The bottle next to it (black cap) should be filled to the "F" line at the back of the bottle.

Avi

13. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I know, it's dirty. We live in a desert like area.

Attached Files:

14. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like your windshield washer reservoir (closest to passenger-side fender) needs to be refilled.

16. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you post a picture of the underside of the hood. Passenger side just like the picture above.

Avi

17. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, that one I do know. JUst ran out!

18. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A picture of the yellow jug? Cause the picture I posted is of the passanger side.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also looks like the inverter reservoir cap is not on tight.

This is how your cap looks, which appears to not be all the way tightened.

yours.jpg

This is the way it should look, note the difference in the way the text lines up with the firewall of the car.

ours.JPG

20. PristinePrius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O.K, Checked all my caps to make sure they were sealed tight. As far as the coolant by the passanger side, I looked on the side and it's maybe a smidge below full but no where near low. Could those two codes ( P1116 P1121) been just because something was lose?