1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opel Ampera videos

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by andi1111, May 8, 2012.

1. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

I will also have a SOC PID overlay video, but the Torque dev has to fix some things.

P.S.: The car is not mine. I had it for 4 days to test it.

1 person likes this.
  2. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    0-100km/h:

2 people like this.
  3. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks.. some definite weirdness in the SOC display as well as the MPG.. they are going crazy in the beginning at least. is that in the log data or something in the video conversion?

I guess that was modest acceleration.. I've don 0-60mph in 8.9sec from a dead stop ;-)

4. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that's a bug in the software. Each time it begins recording, it starts with default values, not the values which are already taken from the OBD. They reach the real values in a second or so. If I started recording a bit sooner, the values would reach their end values until the actual start time.

Well, I did press the throttle pedal to the bottom, but I guess I lost some time moving my leg from the brake to the throttle pedal. I should have held the brake pedal with the left leg and press the throttle pedal with the right hand and at green light, I should have only released the left- brake leg. I'm sure I've lost at least 0.5s when moving my leg.

I've also done a 10 minute SOC video yesterday. I may upload it to YT.

5. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

1 person likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  7. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome!

Well, this was my catch of the day. It's a Chevrolet :eek:

[​IMG]

8. brewstermac

brewstermac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the video, very interesting andi1111.
    What sort of camera did you use and how did you mount it?
    What would be the longest time you could shoot the video for in one take?
    As well as the instantaneous mpg and l/100km are you able to show an updated rolling average for a trip?
    It would also be interesting to see the change to Hold mode and when it cuts out at iys top limit after coming from its low SOC around 20% SOC, interested to see how long it takes to build up to the HOLD maximum SOC.
    Once again, love your work and congratulations on getting the Ampera.

9. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!

I used a Samsung Galaxy Note phone with a windshield mount. I used a Torque app to connect to OBD2 bluetooth module, which can be bought for 15$ with postage.

I haven't yet tried the longest recording yet, but I think the limit might be Samsung's file system, which is a sort of extended FAT32, which allows files no larger than 4GB. At 720p recording (the phone can do 1080p easily), 15 minutes takes about 2GB, so 30 minutes should be doable.

The app does have the trip mileage data display, but with PiP and the Ampera, it defaulted to really strange values of 8 litres / 100km even though I was driving in EV. For example, when driving my regular ICE cars (Renault Clio and Citroes Xsara Picasso), the trip average is where it should be. That's why I opted not to show this data in order to not to mislead the viewers, because you can still calculate the trip average by using the trip kilometers and fuel consumed data.

HOLD mode only stop depleting the battery SOC. It does not add any SOC as Mountain Mode does. (or maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say :)

Thank you! However, these videos are done by test Amperas (I had 2 different ones on different occasions). I have yet to buy one. I'm currently in the process to negotiate the lower price.

EU version of PiP disappointed me, because it only runs up to 51mph in EV mode and than adds the ICE power, compared to the US PiP and prototype PiP I tested, which go up to 62mph in EV mode.
    I have an option to charge both at work and at home with the range, which I could easily do in EV mode only, but about 3km of that trip is 100km/h section, where the ICE would run.

I've been driving my electric Vectrix for 4 years now and I don't want to consume any more gasoline while driving to work.
    So, the Ampera is my no.1 car to consider right now, but only at the lower price than what they're selling it right now (42.500 EUR for base Ampera (55.250 US$) - 4.000 EUR of government grant).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. brewstermac

brewstermac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick response and answers, I didn't understand how HOLD worked, so thanks for the explanation. No pricing announced in OZ as not available till the end of 2012 here, so maybe MY2013 version when it is available.

11. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what Volt specific PIDs have you found for Torque? I see the SOC displayed, any others?

13. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    No others. SOC PID was provided to me by user driinovation.