1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operating surface temperature of Prius muffler?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Aug 22, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    After seeing lots of rust spots on the muffler and the pipe before it this spring (see pictures #88 ~ 91 in this post
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-visual-inspection-dummies-2.html#post1115382
    for example), I bought some high heat primers and paints. Yesterday I finally had some time to do the painting. The instruction on the can says the paint needs heat to completely cure. So this morning I took a drive around the local roads. 11 miles and ~30 minutes later I came back home and parked the car. I touched the muffler and found it just lukewarm. After breakfast I took the car on the highway at 55 ~ 65 MPH. 17 miles and ~30 minutes later after parking in the garage I found the muffler was warm to touch, not hot at all. Outside air temperature was 70F.

Thus my question in the title. Does Prius muffler operates at low temperature (no need for high heat paint, regular paint is fine)? Or does it cool down quickly during the ~ 5 minutes travel from the highway exit to home?

Thanks!

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exhaust system temperature is roughly proportional to what percentage of full power your engine is making.

Stick with the high temperature paint, the exhaust system will get hot on a long hard run, like pulling a long grade at highway speed.

And yes, mufflers and tail pipes cool down fairly rapidly... unless you are going to be working near them, then they stay hot just to remove some of your skin.:D

1 person likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not sure painting the muffler will really help; I think they usually rust from the inside out anyway.

1 person likes this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You think right.