1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

optimize A-B routing for fuel efficiency in city driving

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tomlouie, Jun 8, 2011.

1. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a idea for improving fuel efficiency in city driving. Assuming that everything else has been done on ones car to improve FE such as: tweak tire pressure, grill blocking, engine block heating, proper oil viscosity, proper driving technique.

... one of the remaining significant drain on fuel economy is stops/starts due to traffic congestion and intersections. Even with regen brakes and ICE shutoff, it still takes energy to bring the car to a complete stop and then to get it rolling again.

1. Optimize for road grade, preferring downhill over flats, flats over uphills. On my daily commute, there are some traffic lights that I'll prefer to avoid because the lead-up to the intersection is uphill. Conversely, I'd prefer to be on a downhill grade if I do need to stop due to traffic conditions.

2. Optimize choice of intersections to favor those that allow turn on red lights. This will reduce the time spent stopped at a red light, and reduce the amount of engine cool down. And reduce travel time.

I don't think that there are any turn by turn mapping systems that take these factors into account. I don't think there are many databases that have these factors captured for urban intersections. At the same time, these factors if taken into account, will improve any driver's FE, no matter the car.

Any thoughts?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Such software does exist: No-Left-Turn Software Saves UPS a Bundle | Autopia | Wired.com

It does way more than just try to avoid left turns.

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/products.aspx Allows plotting 50 to 75 locations then optimizing the route between them and downloading that to a garmin GPS for route planning.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=70853
    Select Fuel-efficient Routes

nüLink! 1695 saves you gas and money with ecoRoute — a green feature that calculates the most fuel-efficient route, tracks fuel usage and more. With ecoRoute, you have a “less fuel” option as a routing preference. When selected, the 1695 will determine if a more fuel efficient route exists based upon road speed data and vehicle acceleration data for a given route.
    Route Planning

nüLink! 1695 includes advanced navigation features to take the worry out of traveling. With route planning you can save 10 routes, specify via points and preview simulated turns on the 1695's wide screen. In addition, nüLink! 1695 automatically sorts multiple destinations to provide an efficient route for errands, deliveries or sales calls. It also displays speed limits for highways and Interstates.

1 person likes this.