1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000 and P0A80 codes. dealers suggests replacing hybrid computer and hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by barrystein, May 21, 2012.

1. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Our 2005 Prius with 160,000 miles is displaying warning lights and the gasoline engine is reving at times and not shutting off when the car is at a stop light.

The dealer says it is throwing a P3000 and P0A80 codes.
    I asked for subcodes, the dealer doesn't know what I am talking about.

The dealer wants to replace the hybrid computer for $900 and if that doesn't fix it they want to replace the hybrid battery for $3500.

I don't think I am getting a straight answer from the dealer....

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Failed traction (HV) battery, what to do? - Prius Wiki

Since you aren't that far past the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty, hopefully they can open up a case w/Toyota to see if they'll cover part of the cost as goodwill.

We never heard the outcome of your first post. If that dealer screwed you the first time, perhaps you need a new dealer...

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect the hybrid battery probably failed. Using Techstream, you can confirm this. Has the dealer done some investigating on the condition of the hybrid battery?

4. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for that link, it is very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion, I contacted Toyota corporate, and they are looking into the situation, and will be getting back to me.

Back in 2010 the dealer was unaware that the catalytic converter was warrantied to 150,000 in Calif. So I called Toyota corporate and since I was at 133,000 they instructed the dealer to replace it under warranty.

5. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is techstream?

The dealer just wanted to replace the Hybrid Computer for $900 and then if that didn't work, replace the hybrid batter for $3400.

I've taken the car back home. I am waiting to hear from Toyota and will be working with my normal local dealer if Toyota corporate decides to intervene. The car was at my daughters college about 100 miles away. She had taken to a dealer near her school.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Techstream is the Toyota diagnostic software. Not likely that an individual owner would have access to that unless you wish to invest four-digits to buy it.

It does sound like the traction battery is bad. An alternative to having the dealer install a new battery is to obtain a used battery from a salvage yard and find an independent to install that.

I would not replace the traction battery ECU yet. First replace the battery and see what happens.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Replacing the battery ECU is a standard upsell because there is a different part number for newer Gen IIs. But it is not necessary.

The cheapest way out is to get a battery from a junkyard. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.