1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pacakge 6 vs. Package 5 w/ port-installed leather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sincitymedic, Feb 15, 2007.

1. sincitymedic

sincitymedic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if anyone could give comment on having factory-installed leather (i.e. package 6) vs. the port-installed leather (i.e. package 5 w/ port-installed leather)? I have heard from one source that the port-installed leather is lumpy & didn't feel as nice. Plus, I'm not sure if the package 5 w/ the port-installed leather would have a leather steering wheel.....

Thanks.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy...

Last November, we traded our 2004 Prius for a 2007 Prius, Package 6, Option A... which had the factory-installed leather. We found an area dealer who had both Package 5 and 6 actually in stock are were able to compare them 'live.' We noted that the Pkg 5 with "port installed" leather [we could tell by the 'Liqui Cell Comfort' tag sewn into a seam on the leather] had a 'lumpy' feel particularly on the passenger seat and Pkg 5 did NOT have a leather-wrapped steering wheel. The Pkg 6 with "factory installed" leather felt smoother and did have the leather wrapped steering wheel. Both did look about the same with the exception of the steering wheel. It's interesting that the MSRP was the same on Pkg 5 and Pkg 6.

We felt the 'factory installed' would be a smoother and more professional installation and have been pleased with the Pkg 6. It was interesting that an 'Internet Salesman' at that dealer assured me that "All leather seats are 'port installed.' I suggested he check on the difference between Pkg 5 and Pkg 6, which he did and said "I learned something today." The 'LiquiCell Comfort' is nothing more than a thin pad under the leather... If you're curious Google 'LiquiCell'

From other PriusChat posts, it seems that some Toyota Regions do not offer the Pkg 6, or offer Pkg 6 in very limited quantities.

YOU'RE GONNA ENJOY YOUR PRIUS B)

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You do have a third option...aftermarket leather. I have no experience personally (yet), but it seems most opinions have been that the Katzkin leather is superior to the factory leather. I will find out in a month.

Additional advantages to going aftermarket: 1. only about $1000 for the leather; 2. can pick your color from many (incl. black), or even go two-tone; 3. can go perforated, smooth, or combo; 4. can easily and more cheaply add lumbar, massage, and/or heat functions. You won't get the leather steering wheel, but I can tell you that the Wheelskins leather cover makes it fat and soft; I preferred that (on my old 2005) to the factory leather wheel (on my 2006), and you can match colors, two-tone, perf., etc.

4. Charles Suitt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Aftermarket Leather may be wonderful - BUT - If your Prius has side airbags located on the outside of the front seat backs, you must be sure that the stitching in those areas is specifically designed to release in an event which deploys the airbags.

5. PorkchopPrius

PorkchopPrius New Member

The dealerships in my area will not do aftermarket leather through them on any car with side airbags for that reason; I guess they see it as a liability. I have not seen any "port installed" leather Prii in RI or MA at the dealerships I visited.

My brother-in-law is a service manager at a Nissan store and would have done it, but I really liked the factory leather and there is still a small part of me that wonders if the airbag would be affected by aftermarket leather. I know it is pretty silly & probably wouldn't happen, but I'd rather not mess with safety stuff, call me a worry wart.

I recommend the factory leather :)

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PorkchopPrius @ Feb 15 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]391189[/snapback]</div>
    I had aftermarket leather installed on my Prius. The leather shells are set up to accomodate the side air bags. There are even labels showing where the bags are. All the armrests, and the center console were covered as well. The only thing not covered was the steering wheel, which I didn't really care about.

7. sincitymedic

sincitymedic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much did you pay for your aftermarket-installed leather? Sounds nice.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Feb 15 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]391212[/snapback]</div>

Another note of interest supports what Charles said above....in the DFW area &, dare I say, throughout TX, there is no such thing a Standard Edition Package 6.....it simply doesn't exist in the minds of the dealers. Now, I have it on good authority that it is available on the west coast, though.

Side note:
    I contacted 8 dealers today. Price range for a 2007 Touring Edition Package 6 ranged from $27,900 - $30,001. Quite a difference. How does this sound (on the low end, anyways)? Think I coudl get them to go lower? Or is that a price I should be happy with? I know the financing deals are good right now, too.

Thanks for the great replies. Keep 'em coming.

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PorkchopPrius @ Feb 15 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]391189[/snapback]</div>
    Don't do it through your dealership, you'll end up paying more. katzkin.com can give you a list of locally-approved installers.

And the kits allow for the side airbags, same as the OEM leather; no problem.

rpm

9. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the port installed leather and the seats aren't lumpy at all.

The only down side is that the center console, the armrests, and the steering wheel are not leather. I believe they would be if you get the factory leather package.

10. Charles Suitt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) The "factory installed" leather option does cover the center console and armrests, but I believe they are a matching vinyl as are the sides and backs of the seats. Looks the same, but natural leather is used on the 'seating surfaces.'