1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PEAK OIL: The 'fix' for the transportation half of emissions.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by pingnak, Mar 12, 2010.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yes, with the batteries we have now, one can just imagine land vehicles generally being powered from fixed energy sources. I recognize that darelldd and others might be more optimistic, but gosh that's a lot of batteries to 'mine', build and deploy.

However, airborne vehicles are much more tightly wedded to the high energy density of liquid hydrocarbon fuels. It is difficult to imagine an alternative, for me at least.
    This leads directly to bio-aviation fuels, for both military and commercial transport. Both fleets consist of expensive vehicles that need long service lives for economic reasons. So thoughtful long-range planning is required to adapt to potential fossil avaiation fuel supply 'issues'.

Happening now, I am sure, whether the popular media tells us or not. I added that dig because I have not seen much media coverage of the US Joint Forces Command report.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If you chop all the trees down for firewood and such ... eventually there won't be enough trees left to even build boats to sail off to go conquer another island.

ero ~ I give you, peak trees:

[​IMG]

Sadly, mankind seems to not be able to learn very much from history, so we do it again, and keep doing it again.

:rolleyes: