1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance Ignition Coils

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Justdidit, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Plugging away as usual and stumbled on this:

Okada Plasma Direct Coil 1NZ FE 1NZ FXE NHW11 NHW20 | eBay

Trying to see why in Japan this is a 'kinda popular' upgrade for the NHW20 PRIUS/TOYOTA|Parts Reviews|Minkara - The Car & Automobile SNS - sure seems expensive...

Here is an article I also found.

Performance Ignition Coils - Import Tuner Magazine

Okada Projects - Performance Ignition Coils

Plasma Boosting Your Ignition

Okada Projects of Japan recently introduced an innovative, highly effective and easy-to-install ignition Plasma Direct system, replacing the factory coils while promising to increase both horsepower and torque in less time than it takes to change out your spark plugs. What is the Plasma Direct ignition system you ask? Simply stated, the Plasma Direct is an ignition coil system that uses a high-power amplifier built into the unit. It produces 4 times more spark energy and a 100 percent improvement in secondary current (Spark Amperage) increase than the average stock coils without generating any additional heat inside the ignition coil. Extensive testings show that Plasma Direct also generates a highly effective multi-spark discharge of 10 sparks throughout the powerband. In comparison to the factory coil, which delivers a single spark discharge. The Plasma Directs multiple spark discharge and improved spark energy yields improved ignition and greater combustion efficiency, all of which is beneficial for those driving high-horsepower machines-but is a limiting factor often overlooked when building your street machine.

Perhaps you enjoy the aroma of burnt wires and coils under the hood? We sure don't. Believe it or not, many aftermarket ignition coil packs are sold with a higher voltage range in comparison to most factory systems, which use a range of 300 volts to 400 volts. These aftermarket systems increase the payload to a whopping 450 to 500 volts, which can cause an ignition overload and net you with a crispy disaster. Not only do many of these ignition units bump up the voltage, they also produce negative current spikes of -30 amps to -40 amps, which will eventually lead to killing the coils due to its excessive negative current. Not all is lost with high voltage systems, though, these ignition units that often advertise how many mill joules and volts they deliver are considered ideal for drag racing, which demand high rpms during short intervals, but show limitations in performance gains within the midrange and lower rpm due to an overload in voltage and short lifespan of components. Damaging the factory ignitor on vehicles such as the BMW, which inconveniently integrates the unit within the factory ECU, will set you back a hefty chunk of change.

The Okada Project Plasma Direct system requires no splicing or cutting into stock wiring; Simply replacing the stock coil with the Plasma Direct system and re-plugging the harness wires onto the new unit is a simple one-two process. And the best part you ask? All Plasma Direct components are OBD II compliant and C.A.R.B. approved which means you can give your local smog tech and friendly cop the finger while you rock your new Plasma Direct ignition system. Check out the Okada Projects website for more information and application specifics for your vehicle.

The secondary spark current on an Okada Project Direct Ignition reaches an improved 140mA and shows a wave pattern present in the multi spark oscillation, which improves combustion and increases ignition spark. Okada Projects representative Akira Sato states that the main importance of their Plasma Direct ignition is the change in current capacity while voltage is not important when looking to create an increase in energy spark. The oscilloscope shows the Okada Plasma Booster Direct goes from a range of 10 amps to -10 amps which are twice that of the factory unit. The secondary current also reaches 100mA, which is twice the twice milliamps of the factory 50mA current while also making an AC discharge, not possible on the factory setup.

Like most factory and aftermarket ignitions sold on the market today, a majority of them use a DC charge. Okada Projects has specially modified the coil pack to provide a DC to AC discharge which promotes larger oscillation and creates larger energy. Converting DC to AC creates more ions, which in scientific terms means larger current. Too good to be true? This simple, yet effective system also boasts a CARB certification for legal use on highways. How you like them apples?

Upgrading to the new plasma direct coil packs requires a quick swap of your factory 4G63 EVO coil packs otherwise known as a waste spark system. Replacing the stock units with the simple plug and play design minimizes any room for error with even the most novices of mechanics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPLITFIRE makes one as well and its cheaper $520 Model: SF-DIS-011

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another company called LASTSTATION makes a DIS but didn't find much info on it.

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Daves09prius likes this.
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    looks cool; i'd like to see someone try it and document the results on a dyno...

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Does anyone have the time/$ to swap out the coils and do a dyno for us? I'd love to see how much difference the split fire coils makes. Maybe the next time I get a pay raise I'll get them... so don't hold your breath - it won't be anytime soon.

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i'd be happy to install them for you, but you gots to come down to sterling where my tools are. the dyno runs and $ are on you.

Daves09prius and Justdidit like this.
  5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here's my plan: started intake - need to diagnose the MAF CEL issue then Dyno results vs. stock setup
    then:
    #1 - suspension
    #2 - stealth stereo
    #3 - 19" wheels & tire combo - OEM Toyota/Lexus BBK
    #4 - exhaust mods and Dyno
    #5 - DIS upgrade and Dyno
    #6 - Rear disk brakes
    ...aaaaand then....!?

I hope to have this finished by Spring time 2013

6. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can swap out the coils myself I just need the $ to buy them... then more $ for the dyno time... so no time soon for me! but I can dream right!? ;)

Justdidit likes this.
  7. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Everything in life is time and money... I have the time to swap out the coils, but not the money :(.
    But now I have something to dream about :)

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude that's going to add a LOT of rotating mass and is going to seriously slow down your car. Hell, on most race cars they don't upgrade to a big brake kit unless there are serious heat dissipation issues.

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Agreed. The larger brakes weight I'm not too worried about, its the weight of the wheels. ugh... heavy! I wouldn't try to race the car w/ the 19" on. Those are for daily driving - "all fo show and no go". The brakes will help slow the extra weight down.

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    its gonna suck when 240Ds can beat you from the traffic light... why not some lightweight 17s w/ LRR tires?

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

+35s 0-60?? nah, :) I'll still be able to beat the diesel.

I agree that a light 17" combo would be best for performance and mpg but I haven't found any 17" combo look without having to dump the car. I hate scraping the front end already. Just don't like much wheel well gap.

As good as this looks, the added weight didn't justify: G3 OEM 17" + Michelin HX Pilot MXM4 = 44 lbs
    [​IMG]

Daves09prius likes this.
  12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i like a little more sidewall than those tires. they must be 35's. back in the good old days, all we had was 15" mags. so you'd run N50R15 or L60R15-- i'm not so old i ever bought bias ply junk. so i'm used to a little more sidewall, and if you run your tire a little taller the oem, the speedo will be more accurate, and probably the mpg reading will be more accurate. the roads around here suck so bad, you want the tires to have a little cushion. i don't mind a harsh ride that much-- i do ride a rigid chopper, but it gets old going down the road kathunkathunkathunk... all the time.

Justdidit likes this.
  13. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I use to have 18's on my specV loved them but Washington DC pot holes destroyed them. I had to switch back to the OEM 17's I wish I had 17's on my Prius.

Justdidit likes this.
  14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ya, its pretty smooth sailing up the I-5 or I-15 where I do most of my driving. So I'm not worried about the pot holes 2 much. Maybe driving around DT SD...or in Pacific Beach area...THEN i have something to worry about.

Back to the original questions... I know we already have DIS, anyone care to put some input in on what an aftermarket Splitefire or Okada Projects Plama DIS setup might add? Please don't tell me "Toyota didn't skimp around" - "You can't improve millions of $$ of R&D with aftermarket part" - because I dont wanna hear it... I'm not looking for Life altering improvements, but if it improves the PRII, regardless of ROI, I'd like to learn about it.

15. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i guess in socal you don't have morons gouging the pavement up w/ snow plows like we do here.

if it was the case that the prius ice doesn't have good flame front travel in the combustion chamber, a multiple spark ignition or some kind of hotter spark might help, but if the factory ignition system does give a complete burn, there would be no advantage to an msd or plasma system. msd works great with poorly designed combustion chambers and sloppy fuel-slobbering carburetors, might not make any difference on modern engines. once again we're back to the dyno required to verify.

16. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, Mr. Contradiction, which is it?

Generally, people upgrade their ignition when they start dumping more fuel into the cylinder, i.e. after upgrading injectors, adding forced induction, etc.

If you haven't done anything like this, why do you see the need to upgrade your ignition?

17. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You love to take things out of context, I said,

If you can't read literally what's written, then please don't even open ur condescending mouth.

I want to learn about things that can improve the Prii, not hear how aftermarket parts can't improve over R&D that Toyota has already done. That's just being closed minded. Prii owners in Japan have done this upgrade and have had good results and haven't upgraded their injectors nor changed their fuel mapping. Sooo, "GENERALLY" is not what I'm looking for. If you'd look outside your own world, you could learn a thing or two as well.

Honestly, "Maestro8," if you don't have anything helpful to add, your sarcasm isn't welcome or appreciated. Thank you.

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the JP Prius tuned just like the US Prius? Something tells me "no".

What are these "good results" that you're reading? I know you don't want any ROI, but for anyone else that might consider this... they might want to know what they get for their money.

19. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How the JDM ECU and the USDM ECU differs, I dont know. However, the Prii that set the land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats - was using the JDM ECU. Something I have looked at buying on eBay later on down the line if I can't find a way to tune the USDM ECU with EManage.

I'm going to talk to Micro Image in Canoga Park, CA about doing some tuning of the 1NZ-FXE - hopefully they can help. They know quite a bit about the 1NZ-FE. Another Yaris owner had Bisimoto do some tuning with some great results... Also in the LA area. His knowledge and experience in the tuning world is above most anyone else I'm familiar with.

Its not that I don't care about ROI, I do, its that I'm looking for real world experience with aftermarket DIS. But since no one seems to have this experience, looks like someone may have to make the jump, dyno and post the results. If it ends up being me or someone else, then so be it.

Those that have done the upgrade WITHOUT dumping extra fuel - (although the browser chrome only converts a lil Japanese), from what I've read, All you have 'splurged the extra $' have nothing bad to say.

From PRIUS/TOYOTA|Parts Reviews|Minkara - The Car & Automobile SNS

...please excuse the 'Google Chrome Translation' - but I don't know Japanese...so this will have to do for now.

Daves09prius likes this.
  20. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...just like the folks that were trying to sell you the solid body mounts. Just sayin'.

I've put an Electromotive XDI system in one of my cars, to replace the dual coil / dual distributor system that wasn't the most reliable design. With such a system, you can't get full power at high RPMs, nor under rapid acceleration. Adding a DIS to a car that uses mechanical switching and a mechanical advance mechanism just makes sense...

...but the Prius already has a coil at each plug. In terms of ignition, it's more advanced than just about every high-performance sports car from the 80s and older. I'm just not buying the reports that you're posting which say the Prius is sending unburnt fuel out of the exhaust, and that engine vibrations are reduced. Doesn't make sense.