1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photo of recall pump/steering-shaft

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R-P, Jan 28, 2013.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had the recall work done today and the mechanic was a very pleasant guy explaining everything (during the short time I was pestering him).

(Edit: do note I am in the Netherlands, so don't draw conclusions in regards to e.g. you not having gotten the recall letter yet)

Here's the pump:
    [​IMG]
    I was expecting a cast iron thing of 5kg/10pounds, but not this :LOL: It weighs about the same as two quarters...

And here's the steeringshaft as seem from the bottom of the car:
    [​IMG]
    As I interpreted his explanation: if the bolt is sunk into the surface it sits on, both metal parts have to be exchanged, but in my case, he would just put in a new bolt.
    OK, if he says so...

It looked like it just left the factory (145000km(90kmiles)/4years old) despite the fact we regularly bang the steering all the way left or right. The Prius has a short turningcircle compared to my other car, so for innercity driving (read: parking), we always take the Prius, and the short turningcircle IS USED!!!

2009Prius, uart and bisco like this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I understand it, your interpretation is correct. If the shaft has a counter sink (some call it a counter bore), then both the bolt and the extension shaft needs to be replaced along with some additional bolts and work.

I haven't had the work done yet on our Prius, but I do have the letters here and will be scheduling the work soon.

For more information concerning the procedure of the recall, please refer to the attached pdf file. The file details the work specified to done.

Good luck to you.

Ron

Attached Files:

3. RedskinPrius

RedskinPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I took mine in yesterday to the dealership. This is what was done.."inspect bolt hole and replace steering shaft bolt". This is the intermediate extension shaft. No charge.

SCH-I605 ? 2

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had mine done yesterday as well. Changed bolt. 50,000 Kilometers. H

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the pics and info r-p! my daughter received the letter for her 08, but it said she would be notified when parts were available.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your daughter is state side, she should be receiving the letter soon. They are being mailed out now as I understand it. We got ours this week, and other's here have been reporting getting theirs too.

Ron

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks to the OP for the pictures and info. I am still waiting for the second letter as well. By the way counter sink is cone shaped and counter bore is cylindrical - they accommodate different kind of screw heads.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the terminology is correct concerning the geometry as 2009 Prius pointed out. However Toyota is truly calling what is known as a counter bore a countersink. The photo's I have seen of the countersink (as per Toyota) appear to have a diameter machined into the shaft that is 90 degrees from the casting which has a flat bottom for the bolt head to sit on.

A normal countersink would be a angular surface intersecting with another angle or flat surface. A good example would like this.

countersink.jpg

Whereas a counter bore would look like this.

Counterbore.jpg
    Coming from the field of a machinist who cut all sorts of alloy's over the years, I find it odd that Toyota is referring to the extension shaft in question stating that it has a countersink when in reality it appears to be a counterbore.

Here's a picture that Luscious Garage posted on the two different shafts.

Steering_Shaft_countersink.jpg

If I get the opportunity to view an actual shaft extension with the so called countersink, I will try to photograph it and document it here.

Furthermore, I do understand it could be a counterbore with a chamfer on the top of the part. But from everything I have seen so far, I do question the term "countersink".

Ron

Attached Files:

Patrick Wong, uart and 2009Prius like this.
  9. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for that, I didn't understand the difference between countersink and -bore and chalked this up to English not being my first language. It seems the Japanese guys at Toyota are having the same problem :)

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got my letter last month. Still waiting on the next letter.

11. RedskinPrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They put the bolt on mine..what determines if they out the bolt only or the entire unit?

SCH-I605 ? 2

12. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Took my 2007 (manuf. 11/06) into a dealer yesterday. Only got a new bolt.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read post #8 in this string and also read through the attached pdf file. Basically, it involves the manufacturing of the extension shaft and the presence of a so called "countersink".

Ron

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got my letter today! And made my appointment. I can't wait to see how much damage they do to my car and the
    flood of calls to my cell pushing everything from good better best fuel line cleaners to a new flux capacitor.

Its not looking good. My service adviser wrote me up with a meatball sandwich in his hands.

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ed, see if you can get a photo of the extension shaft, especially if yours has the countersink. I haven't done ours yet, but am considering taking it in sometime in the near future.

Life yourself, I too am a little leery of the whole thing.

Ron

16. RedskinPrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I dropped it off at the dealership I told them.."Don't call me with a laundry list of crap to do unless it is free". To their credit they didn't..and even courtesy washed it. Oil/filter/tires rotated/fluids topped..$39

SCH-I605 ? 2

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope don't touch my oil (btw they overfilled yours). But I might have them rotate the tires. (and they underinflated your tires).

18. RedskinPrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well you are just full of good news, think they took a dump in my back seat? ;)

SCH-I605 ? 2

edthefox5 likes this.
  19. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My '05 was 'repaired' the same way as many others here [bolt replacement].
    I believe there were [at least] 2 suppliers for the shaft in question. Apparently the only means to verify which type was installed is to remove that bolt.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HA!! Would not surprise me. I do cover the drivers seat with a towel though and I do so love how they put that piece of sh*t paper thing on the floor and then leave greasy fingerprints on the door.

RedskinPrius likes this.