1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics of other super whites with bumper issues ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Oct 4, 2008.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found pics of other super whites with bumper issues

I hope that the owners of these cars/pics won't be mad at me. I was looking at pics in the superwhite group and found what appears to be others super whites with bumper color problems (not as bad as mine but still not perfect). Even if toyota says this is within tolerance I will not accept it. Toyota quality can not be this bad when it comes to finish or can it ?

Curious to hear other's comments about these pics as they relate to my problem. Thanks to the posters of these pics - please don't flame me.

Attached Files:

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't see any issue with the color.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't see a problem w/most of the pictures. FWIW, I have a super white but someone hit my Prius and the rear bumper cover had to get replaced (and therefore newly painted).

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither do I. BTW.... What type of vehicle is that in the last photo?

5. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These pictures all show either front or rear bumpers appearing grey instead of white or a white with some green tones mixed in ? Granted not as bad as mine but still not right. Did you think the pics of mine in previous thread looked acceptable ? Just curious ?

6. lwnboy

lwnboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have noticed that all of the Prius colors look a little different on the bumpers, not sure it's only isolated to the whites. It may have something to do with the painting of plastic

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's Citroën C4, which isn't available in North America.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is my car the day after I bought it. I never noticed it before, but there may be a slight color difference in the rear bumper cover. It has been repainted now, since I was rear ended about 2 mos after this. The match is very good now. I don't see any color difference in the front cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20 years from now, owners of the Super White Prius who endeavor to restore their car to factory condition will have to ensure that the rear bumper cover color is slightly grey when compared to the body!

10. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or the owner advertises "better than factory paint match" :D

Mine is now ruined as a show car. :madgrin:

11. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    patrick .... Funny comment! Dogfriend. Thanks for posting those images from before accident. Your front 'skins' in the 1st image look like back. In image 1 the front bumper clearly illustrates the problem. Front cover appears grey with a touch of antique white or ivory (it shows a hint of green I notice on mine. )

12. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose with white prius you'll want all the 'numbers to match' and the bumpers to clash for it to be a good classic car. I wish I could be as jovial as I sound about this but I'm really not pleased about my discovery. I think it looks like crap. If I was sure dealer wouldn't make a bigger mess, repaint would match and wouldn't peel or crack I wouldn't hesitate to demand them to fix it. This isn't a $13k ford or Pontiac. It must be a prius thing because Toyota gets white right on camry 08'. I'm pissed that I have this issue on a brand new car. Even if they fix it I'll have to worry about it peeling or explaining why it was painted to whoever I sell trade it to. I know I won't be happy and be able to enjoy the car until it looks 'right' or at least not like a 'second or irregular'.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I must not be as sensitive to it, because I never really noticed. I think the pics of your car in the other thread seem worse than my car.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, then it seems reasonable for you to visit your dealer and ask to have the bumper covers repainted, after you have freshly washed the car. If they agree to this, then visit the body shop that they use and satisfy yourself that the workmanship demonstrated on other recently painted vehicles will meet your standards.

If that body shop does not meet your standards, then another option is for you to wait until you have accumulated a few bug or rock dings on the front bumper cover; then pay $700 or so to have the front and rear bumper covers removed and repainted, at a body shop of your choice.