1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP Stealth

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by El Dobro, Apr 21, 2014.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know if the PiP counts stealth mileage on the EV side of the percentage screen or does it count it on the HV side of the screen?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it counts it as hv. pretty sure it just depends what mode you're in.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's say you used up all your EV mode, so your strictly in HV mode now. You continue traveling and go into stealth a few times. Where does it count?

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HV, if you want to cheat. Save some EV. Like 0.1 mile. Switch to EV whenever you brake. You'll never run out of EV and EV miles keep accumulating.

iPhone ?

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The main reason I'm asking is because of yet another Volt/PiP pissing match on the Volt Forums and it made me wonder if the EV mileage percentage still racks up after EV depletion by using stealth.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think modem has it right. but we don't have enough downhill around here to pull that off.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just realized. What if you are out of EV. You take a huge hill like the Grapevine hwy 5 out LA. I know I can accumulate 4.5 EV miles on the downhill. What if I regen all of it in HV mode? Then I proceed to use it in EV mode? Does that increase my EV ratio? I'm going to have to test it out on my next trip.

iPhone ?

8. woody weaver

woody weaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My PiP is primarily used as a commuter box, right now 47 miles each way with no recharge. So that should be something like 80 miles on gas, 10 miles on electric, with a ratio of 88%/12%. But my percentage is much higher, above 14% -- which suggests that the regen miles fall into the electric camp; and it makes sense, if the idea is to measure "gas saved by use of electric" then the regen miles should count.

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've found that the miles count for EV or HV depending on the mode you are in. However, the kwh from regen (except for a small amount) will not count in EV unless they match a wall-charged amount.

So you fully charge (3 kwh) and have 13 miles of EV and you drive 12 miles, using 2.8 kwh (the display will show just 2 kwh).
    Now you switch to HV and drive 25 miles uphill. You turn around, switch to EV and mostly brake/coast downhill. You'll now have 32 miles of EV, 2 kwh (maybe 3) and 25 miles HV and 0.5 gal gas (zero showing). Your battery is full and shows 13 miles. You now drive 13 more miles and stop just before the ICE comes on.
    You'll have 45 miles EV, 2 kwh (reset back to 2.8), 25 miles HV and zero gas used.
    Plug in and charge and you'll see the same numbers, but your EV estimate will be something like 15 or 16 miles, depending on previous history.
    I've seen this type of behavior a few times and have seen the kwh actually go backwards at least twice due to long hills.

Mike

mmmodem likes this.
  10. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm pretty sure it counts on the EV side. I reset one of mine whenever I fill up the gas tank. Most recently, I filled right before a 150 mile mostly-highway trip. When I arrived, it showed 38 miles EV. Good luck getting that out of just being in EV mode from one charge :).

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Took a trip to my brother's place and back for a total of 880 some strictly HV miles and zeroed out the EV/HV display every time I filled up and got 0% EV the entire trip. The vague-o-meter and the end of trip screens said I did 64mpg and 65mpg, so I can't complain. :D

retired4999 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    From my observations, the EV kWh used is that from the external charging, not regen. And this makes sense. Just as consumption of fuel occurs after you've filled the tank, the same principle holds for the EV capacity.

So you will see a variable number of EV miles (depending on regen) but the kWh usage always reflects the "exogenous" energy from the plug-in only. The "gasoline saved" is a function of all EV miles (regardless of power source, wall or regen).

Anyone with a different interpretation?

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. The electrical energy acquired from plugging-in works out to approximately to an equivalent of 1/10 of a gallon of gasoline. That doesn't quite line up with the Prius' normal fuel economy of 60 MPG, because that would mean you could only get about 6 miles on an EV charge, but as we all know, it's twice that. Therefore, it appears that the MPGe coefficient is derived from a "normal" fuel economy rating of 30 MPG.

The MPGe coefficient is listed as 33.7 kWh per gallon of gasoline equivalent by the EPA. In the case of the PIP, a typical plug-in charge (3.37 kWh is not far off) works out to about 12.6 ounces of fuel. In the case of the Prius, it's about 25 ounces.