1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic (?) bumper cracks - can they be repaired?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is probably not in the correct forum but I could not find anywhere else, so moderator please move if incorrect.

Does anyone know of a way to repair (glue?) a crack in a plastic bumper? My wife's car has a crack from hitting a snow mound in a parking lot. The "crack" lines up nicely if there is something that can "glue" it back together. I tried Superglue but no help.

Or is the only choice is to replace the bumper?

Thanks,

Dwight

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Duck tape on the back side of the plastic?

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am finding the the bumper on my 2010 already looks more banged up and ragged on the bottom than my 2005 did.....I wonder if they changed something else there??

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  5. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have two cracks (both about 2 inches long) on the front of my bumper cover, and the snow seems to also have reaped havoc on the wheelwell liner (Front Passenger side), as it is no longer there.

Seems that having a low ground clearance is very bad for driving in snow of any depth. Anyone know the cost to replace the wheel fender liner? I have been hearing around $500 to replace the bumper cover and repaint it to match the rest of my Blizzard baby

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  8. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the suggestion mgb4tim, I'll be trying that glue come spring. Had my car since December and at some point have put 2 cracks in it about 4" apart.

I've had run-ins with car-cicles (boulders of ice dropped in the road off of cars and trucks) and had to push through a few snow berms to get in and out of parking spaces, and my own driveway.

Anyone know if BT will be making a skidplate for the GenIII's? I need that as well. I scrape my belly just getting around with all the ice and snow we've had this year. A bit more protection would be well worth the $300.

Lowest car I've ever owned, and my last car was a 4runner so the adjustment about what I can safely "clear" has been a bit painful.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's what autobody shops use:

3M

And there's a bunch of video's on Youtube of guys using hairdryers with some cool results. But the 3M Automix works excellent. Still needs to be painted though.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you don't want trouble down the road, the only choice is to replace anything plastic that has a crack or hole in it.

11. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I figure it's just going to keep getting beat up. I'm less concerned about looks then I am about structural. It's tough having a piece that low, be so weak.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I repaired a crack in my wife's front bumper with Gorilla Glue made for plastics. I repaired it last winter and it still looks the same a year later. Other than being able to see some of the lines where it cracked, it seems to be holding up nicely.

13. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    So continuing on with this thread, I have a bit more than a crack... pictures attached for viewing pleasure. Can I repair this myself with some sort of adhesive, and if so which one? I'm a little wary because the piece actually holds down the part of the wheel fender... any suggestions are welcome!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Lyle Ryan

Lyle Ryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An old thread, but better to reply here than start anew, right?

I just got a 2010 Prius, and found the small rip (see attached) in the corner of the front bumper.

If I understand correctly, the bumper is pretty easily removed, and I guess I'll try glue or epoxy after roughing-up the interior. Maybe add a thin reinforcing material to the inside.

Any better ideas? Thanks...Lyle

Attached Files:

15. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, how do you go from "cracked" to completely torn the f up!? No, that cannot be repaired properly. You can use some sort of industrial plastic glue, but it'll look awkward.