1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll on charging and maintaining Gen III 12 volt battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dorunron, Apr 3, 2014.

?
  1. Connect Battery Minder to jump post

87.5%
  2. Connect Battery Minder directly to battery

12.5%
  1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I did search on the topic, but I want to place a poll to see how the results would end up.

The poll revolves around specific connection of a battery charger such as a BatteryMinder 12248 using a 4 AMP charging rate with the AGM selection. I do own and use the specified charger for this purpose.

I specifically want to learn if it is Ok to connect to the jump post under the hood or is it better to connect to the battery directly. I do not intend to disconnect the 12 volt as per the owners manual.

The BatteryMinder will be used strictly for monthly top off and maintenance of the 12 volt battery.

The poll will be active for 30 days. I hope I can get a good response on this narrow topic. FWIW, I really like our new Gen III. It is a lot better Prius than our Gen II was. And the Gen II was a great car!

Thanks everyone!

Ron (dorunron)

DSC01548.JPG

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've charged ours periodically, at the connection in fusebox in engine bay. Didn't disconnect the battery in any way. Seems to work fine, no problems.

dorunron likes this.
  3. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure if this helps you....My battery maintainer/trickle charger has an adopter wire (extends out 2 ft) for the battery posts, so I can plug and charge directly to the 12V battery without lifting/opening the back trunk covers.

dorunron likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never charged my 12 volt and had excellent longevity. is this a climate thing? or a short trip/rarely drive thing or what all?

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    bisco,

Climate a little (winter only), mainly short trip, rarely drive thing... - you know me - retired, no care in the world. Car used to chauffer the wife and her aunt to the thrift store, motor me to the barber and grocery store and used once in a while to go out of town to see the wife's sister. Usually drive about 10,000 miles a year. Car will sometimes sit three days or more at a time. Usually top off battery once a month to keep it fully charged as much as possible. Poor man that believes in keeping the battery charged for longevity.

Ron

bisco likes this.
  6. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice wheels.

alekska and dorunron like this.
  7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Are you trying to find the "right" or best way........or are you just looking for how others have done it ??

Electrically, for a 4 amp max. connection, it makes absolutely no difference. No need for a poll to answer that.

You should connect it wherever it is most convenient for YOU and then not worry about it.

P.S. Regardless of where you attach it, the new wires (assuming that they will be permanently connected) MUST have an inline fuse incase the wire gets pinched and shorts out.

TsKarma likes this.