1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Posts in Fred's no longer count toward post count

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Starting today, posts made in the 2 Fred's forums (Pancakes and Politics) will not count toward your post count. There are people on PriusChat with thousands of posts and I certainly appreciate all of the time you have spent on PriusChat, but as the site continues to grow it is important that the "Post Count" metric mean something with regards to your knowledge and participation in the Prius-related forums.

Discussion is welcome, though I think this is a change I should have made a long time ago.

OceanEyes, markderail, hill and 11 others like this.
  2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. Sounds good.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know if Danny wants me to divulge this, but what this is all leading up to is that at some non-disclosed point in the future, the person with the most posts WINS!!

1 person likes this.
  4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's "He who dies with the most toys wins".....
    I am accepting ALL donations to the Pat Sullivan "Toys for the Rich Campaign"!!!

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might seem a strange thing to say, for someone with so many posts, but I'm not here to rack up points. Take them and the 'thanks' away altogether if you like - ultimately, each post should stand on its own merits. I participate in car-related threads now and then, but it's the 'coffee shop' conversation that holds my interest. I hope the change in point-tallying is not meant to say that such contributions to the community are worthless.

2 people like this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...

I actually have very few posts in Freds Houses...respectively.

And I realize this IS Prius Chat..not "Chat Chat"...

But really? Does post count really mean much one way or another? Participation is participation, and I personally don't equate a high post count one way or another with necessarily "better" participation.

My post count is ridiculous, and I have no idea what I'm talking about. I sometimes think post count should be connected to a color coded shading system and once you exceed a certain amount it turn red alongs with your moniker being surrounded with the flashing exclamation of "Get A Life!".

But do what you want. Too many pancakes aren't good for you.

1 person likes this.
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a very good idea. (+1 :D)

8. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wondering if this is being done for some larger purpose is there going to be any sort of change to the main forums - just off the top of my head there are a heck of a lot of one or two word posts in all threads.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two thousand is ridiculous? Ouch. :p

'Get a life'? Hmmm. I've made some genuine friends here, and had more personal involvement and done more travelling than I would have otherwise. I could be a bigger fish in a smaller pond by interacting only with those in my physical community, but that seems like less of a life, not more.

3 people like this.
  10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is poetry less valuable than prose?

There are are a great number of very wordy posts that don't say anything at all. It's not the number of words you use that count, it's which words. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hyo, you definitely should not take it that way. FHOP was created as a way to keep the Prius community spirit going even after some posters lost interest in replying to the standard "How do I disable the backup beep?" thread for the 1,000th time. FHOP is an integral and important part of PC and will continue to be.

OceanEyes, hyo silver and Rokeby like this.
  12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, it seems many people find FHOP distracting.

13. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

So - does that count as prose or poetry?

1 person likes this.
  14. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the fact that there is FHOP available. I think there's a good number of people that come here for the Prius information, end up meeting people you enjoy talking to (or perhaps arguing against:) ), and FHOP allows you to continue that. Some forums don't have that ability and don't allow threads to go off-topic, and I think they lose a lot of the community feel that way.
    We come to PriusChat for the dry facts, and stay for the stories.

1 person likes this.
  15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a moderator I find the post count useful/helpful in making decisions about how to deal with potential infractions--If you've got 3000 posts and someone complains about a turn of phrase I'm much more likely to give you slack than if you've got 5 posts and post a link to an inappropriate site or something.

Also, I think new posters might look at the post count when given advice on a subject to guage the value of that advice. Someone who's been here since, say Nov. 2003 with 15k posts who tells you to check your tire pressure might be taken more seriously than the guy with 10 posts who says "take it to the dealer".

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Forum....
    Your rules.

or.... "Aye-aye, sir!"

Personally, I'd include the environmental section as well, but I've already acknowledged that I know where I lie in the chain of command, so we'll do it your way! ;)

Request permission to carry on, sir!

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just kidding. Of course I include myself in any evaluation. I like Prius Chat and have enjoyed the debates and discussions.

One could argue that the entire internet is mostly a "get a life" enviroment. But I don't mean to personally suggest that anyone within Prius Chat needs to "get a life".

I guess my wandering point is, it's okay with me if Danny wants to either NOT count FHOP posts, or count FHOP posts. Because I personally don't attach validity or value of a post to the total amount of posts someone has contributed.

Lack of posts or history I think can be valuable in potentially indentifying a troll. BUT number of posts is NOT necessarily an indicator of the "value" of that persons overall participation, in my opinion.

I guess it comes down to what you think is identifying of value. "The Prius" or "The Chat"....

If it was me? I think I'd let it all count.....

18. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe the Mods can implement a relevance filter, a nifty bit of artificial intelligence code that gages the relevance of a post in a given thread and subtract from the post count when a post detracts from the overall topic instead of contributes to it... Of course I'd probably end up with a negative post count, but it would be interesting to track!

19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i love it.. i noticed a lot of new people with really high counts who are good conversationalist yet fail to recall old data that's been floating around on the forums... although old data is going out the window because a log of newer prii are on the forum now.

thanks are still a great idea... for those of you with over 200 thanks... does count really matter?...

the only flaw i see with thanks is that it's a first come first server situation a lot of times. are people restricted till they have x post before they can thank someone? if a person jumps on with wrong data and gets a thanks and is corrected... what happens then? what stops a newbie from thanking everyone?

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    paul... i was thinking along the lines of a user selected category... answer, question, non related, pictures, data, etc.... no clue where to draw the lines on that