1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-collision system activation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swerthei, Sep 23, 2009.

1. swerthei

swerthei Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The pre-collision system in my new 2010 Prius activated on my way to work this morning. The road was straight, I was not approaching any obstacle, and there was no other car as far as I could see in the lane ahead of me. I'm just driving along and all of a sudden the beeper sounds, the seatbelts tighten, and the car slams on its brakes hard enough to make the tires squeal (it all happened very quickly, but I clearly recall the sound of the tires screeching). Very shortly afterwards the system apparently realized it was a false alarm and everything went back to normal. I think the whole incident took less than one second from start to end.

I can think of some reasons why this might have happened, and would welcome other ideas:

• The radar unit or computer is faulty. I.e. this was just a complete and total malfunction. Seems pretty unlikely.
    • I was driving through moderate low-level fog at the time. Not enough to prevent me from seeing quite a distance ahead of me, but I was driving through the occasional white wisp of fog. Perhaps the rader got a hit from a bit of fog. This also seems pretty unlikely.
    • I think the most likely reason is that the slope of the road changes at the exact point where I was when this happened. I was traveling southbound on the Golden Gate Bridge at the time, and I had just entered the northern end of the bridge. Here is a picture that should give you a pretty good idea of what the road does at that location. You can click on the picture to get a high-resolution view. This picture faces south, so the cars going away from you are going the way that I was at the time. I was at about the same location as the dark red Honda Civic that you can see the back of, in the third-from-the-right lane, just to the left of the green VW Bug. I think that the PCS saw the change in road slope as an approaching obstacle, and then cancelled the alert as soon as I actually entered the upslope. This does meet one of the criteria described on page 252 of the owner's manual, as a condition that can trigger the system, an "uneven road surface", but keep in mind that the change in slope is not nearly as pronounced as it seems to be in the picture. In real life you don't really notice the change in slope while driving over it.
    Some random thoughts I've had about this are:

• The system is quite fast and aggressive. I had read a lot about it in the manual and here on PC, but there is no substitute for actually experiencing it. The beeper, seatbelts, and brakes all activated simultaneously, and the braking and seatbelt tightening were very forceful. I have no doubt that this system could save you from rear-ending someone.
    • If someone had been close behind me this morning, it is highly likely that they would have rear-ended me. My car braked hard, with no warning, on a completely clear road, which would have been completely unexpected for the driver behind (yes, I know people shouldn't be following so closely, but sometimes they do).
    • I need to weigh the likelihood of false positives vs. times when I might actually need the system. If my car spontaneously brakes hard in the middle of the freeway once every year or two, that seems to put me at a lot more risk than that of my rear-ending someone by mistake.
    • For the time being I have disabled PCS braking using the switch down in the driver's footwell. I'm glad that Toyota decided to allow us to disable just this aspect of PCS while leaving the rest of the system operative. I'm going to drive the car with PCS braking disabled for a while and see how often the system activates, before I decide whether to enable PCS braking.
    • Even if I do decide to drive the car myself with PCS braking enabled, I'm going to disable it whenever I let anybody else drive the car.
    • I'm going to ask my dealer if perhaps the radar unit needs to be adjusted or calibrated.
    • I'm going to ask my dealer whether the computer stores any diagnostic codes when a PCS activation occurs, that might help to figure out why it happened.
    • A few other people in this thread have talked about explainable PCS activations. I suppose mine is explainable too, but the only reasonable explanation seems pretty weak. Has anybody else had the PCS activate when the road ahead was straight and clear?
    • The manual warns against hard braking for the first 200 miles, and a few other restrictions. When this happened, I had less than 200 miles on the car. I hope the hard braking did not cause any damage.
    • I'm wondering if I should call Toyota Customer Care to let them know about this.

9 people like this.
  2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great post! Thank you for providing a thorough statement of what happened.

While your explanation seems to be the most plausible one aside from a malfunction or default, I would not accept it as the answer.

Please call your dealer immediately, as well as Toyota Customer Care. This does not sound right. The danger to you and others seems rather excessive.

By the way, I did not quite follow or understand your plan to see if the PCS activates after you have turned it off. Did you mean to suggest something different, or are you concerned that the switch may not actually disengage the system?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree, Toyota needs to know about this.

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I forgot to mention that I've seen some fairly intense fog on the GG Bridge. Here is a picture I took on what I thought was a fairly typical morning in San Francisco:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. swerthei

swerthei Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not worried that the switch won't work. What I mean is that I will disable PCS braking, but I'll still be able to tell when PCS activates, because the seat belts will tighten and the buzzer will sound (according to the manual, the switch disables the braking aspect of the PCS, but the PCS remains active and all other PCS features can still activate). The non-braking aspects of PCS are a lot less risky than the braking behavior.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Looks like the PCS radar got a strong reflection from the bridge metal expansion joint two cars ahead of the Civic. Then the reflection went away in just a second, the PCS then understand the obstacle disappeared and resets itself.
    You may want to drive on the same lane again and see if this happens again.

7. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I am driving a Toyota demo Prius 3G car for some weeks now, and last saturdary I drove through intense fog with radar on maximum range with no problems at all.

In fact this was one aspect of the ACC I immediately commented on Prius-PT.com site. It was the first time I was driving in dense fog without any fear of rear ending someone else. Fantastic.

The Prius would "find" the next car and start braking far sooner that i would, since it started with no car in clear site at all. Again, this is a major safety feature that needs to be mentioned when discussing ACC.

The false positive you got was probably due to the slope and dilatation joint as others have mentioned.

8. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this as the cause.
    The radar would be passing through the tar/concrete & reflecting off the metal.
    I honestly reckon this will happen everytime you drive this stretch of road/bridge.

I wonder what the long term solution will be.
    The only thing I can think of is somehow the camera used for lane keep assist 'analyses' the relative height of the road marking (dashes) to the metal or whatever is on the road ahead.

Good luck Toyota!!

9. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It would be really bad if this happened while there was someone following very closely.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the most likely explanation. To the radar, it would look like you were driving straight toward a metal wall.

Tom

11. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting to hear, I've always wondered what it was like when it activates, but dont have the nerve to try to trigger it. Just for clarification, PCS is disabled when the light is displayed on the dash? or if there is no PCS light on the dash is it disabled? I know its in the manual, but I dont like to RTFM.

Nate

12. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The PCS light will be "ON" when the PCS is disabled.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you disable PCS, the PCS light appears. Enable it again, it goes away.

14. swerthei

swerthei Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to clarify, according to the manual, the switch does not completely disable PCS. It merely disables the active braking feature. All other parts of PCS (warning buzzer, seatbelt tightening, brake-line pre-pressurization) remain active and cannot be disabled.

15. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share my experience with the PCS this evening. I was headed out to dinner, and a van that was slightly in front of me and to the right came to a stop. This just happened to be in a place where his lane was ending, so I went to the left to go around him. As I got a little closer, the PCS activated and slammed on the brake. It scared the crap out of me. I'm sure it was because the car saw the van as being in my path, even though it actually wasn't.

As with the original post, luckily I wasn't being followed by anyway, so no one hit me. I will be a lot more attentive to potential PCS activation scenarios going forward.

16. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Has anyone on here been saved from a crash by the PCS?

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that if you had slowed down along with avoiding the van, then PCS would not have activated...you must have closed on the van pretty fast (possibly without even braking) and the PCS reacted.

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had PCS invoked once on the freeway when a car started to merge towards me from the onramp and I got on the brakes very quickly. Neither I nor the car slammed on the brakes though; just cinched up the belts and probably did some prep for a brake slam. Since it was a bunch of priuschatters in the car with me, they all enjoyed the demo a lot!

19. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    I don't think the radar reacts to light reflection. It should only be sensative to physical objects. PCS responds to objects very close to the car.

20. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    Yes, just last Friday, it saved me from serious injuries. I was driving about 30 miles/hour in a major street in DC under day light. There was no traffic lights, stop sign, nor other cars in front of me. But all of a sudden, a van making illegal left turn (or U-turn) appeared in front of my nose from my left. The next thing I knew was the flashing warning light, tightend belt, and "Ban", I hit directly into the van's passenger door. Two of the airbags exploded (one on the steering wheel, other under my knees). My car suffered substantial damage in front and not drivable. Fortunately no one was injured in this accident. The van driver got a ticket from police, who happen to be there.

I was very lucky indeed to have the PCS. I did not even touch the airbags, just saw one exploded on the steering wheel a foot from my face. I am sure if the belt did not tighten, my body would lean forward to hit the airbag. It could harm my face as many people reported. As I said, I did not have time to react to the van, so I did not conciously hit the brakes. But the PCS might have applied brakes for me. I couldn't verify it. However, I guess the damages to the front end of the care would have been greater if there was no braking at all.

The other driver's insurance is going to pay for the damage. But I am very sad for my one-year old Prius V. I hope they will be able to fix it to pre-accident condition instead totaling it. I will hear from the insurance adjustor Thursday. Wish me good luck!

Reade, Thai and mad-dog-one like this.