1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

preius 2001 computer error codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by supra90, Oct 16, 2008.

1. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    prius 2001 computer error codes

HI
    How can i retrieve the faulty codes in this vehicle ?

in my supra i jump 2 terminals in the diagnostic terminal

can something like be done in a Prius ?
    thank you

2. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

• h47.pdf
      File size:
      288.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have access to a generic OBD-II code reader, you may be able to read Prius DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes). However, no guarantee since Prius has several ECUs that all can produce DTC and your code reader may ignore some of the produced codes.

Generally, it is not possible to jump terminals and look for lamp flashes as was the case with older vehicles that had a limited number of trouble codes that potentially could be produced.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In a first-generation Prius, it is entirely possible to read codes by jumpering the TC and CG terminals at the diagnostic connector beneath the steering wheel, for most of the control units in the car. When you do this, the engine control unit will blink its codes on the check-engine light, the brake control unit will use the ABS light, the body controller will use the door-ajar warning light, the airbag controller will use the airbag light, and the steering controller will blink a light that isn't there (you have to supply your own and connect it from the steering WL terminal to ground, but then you get steering codes too). Also the MFD will go into its diagnostic mode, but in Japanese. (The usual way of getting the MFD diag mode will bring it up in your language.)

The method of reading the A/C controller is different: start with ignition off, fan off; turn ignition on, press A/C 3 times, turn fan to auto; all the A/C lights blink.

The two control units you can't read this way are the hybrid-vehicle controller and the battery controller.

This approach isn't as nice as the official Toyota scanner, which can read all the codes from all the controllers. But with the alternative being generic scanners that mostly can't read anything but the engine controller, this may be your only way to read most of those other codes.

If the active codes are coming from the HV or battery controller, you don't have much choice but to find somebody with the Toyota scanner.

The blinking-light codes generally need to be converted to the normal codes you would see on a scanner by looking them up in the manual. (The steering codes just blink the last two digits, so you can just add C15 in front, but some of the other controllers don't make it that simple.)

-Chap

5. Robert Grove

Robert Grove New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have the error codes of 3030 and 3106. Anyone have an idea on what this might be?

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Robert 1st time poster. The first code refers to voltage sensing lines in the HV battery. one of more of them is not working. 3106 means an electronic control module communication error or some sort. There are at least 5 subcodes for that one, but they don't mean much to me (sorry).

I have to wonder how you are obtaining these codes and whether there may be other DTCs hidden from your view? I imagine something is wrong with the car, you want to fix, but we don't have the full picture yet.