1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prii, Starbucks and NPR

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dareniott, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dareniott

dareniott New Member

Having read various posts and lurking for awhile I have come to realize that Prius owners' seem to all be of a certain breed. I read a topic "Do you park next to other Prii", while I haven't had the pleasure yet I see them often at Starbucks. I have read other posting in the Audio section about owners listening to NPR. It is clear from this forum that Prius owners tend to be highly above average in intelligence and incredibly conscious and wise in their political views. I am wondering if we all chime in here how many are Starbucks enthusiasts and NPR devotees. Any other "stereotypes" that you think might apply to Prii owners.

2. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My radio is almost always tuned to public radio when I'm not listening to my iPod, but I would disagree that Starbucks is part of the Prius culture. Big chain stores that take over local businesses and run them out of business are not progressive or friends of the environment. Starbucks is a blight.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dareniott @ Aug 2 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]489330[/snapback]</div>
    I don't drink coffee at all and have never been to a Starbucks. While I am aware of NPR, and have stopped the radio there while scanning stations if something interesting is being discussed, my radio is most frequently tuned to music, an equal amount of country, current pop, and 60's - 90's pop.

4. Vebev

Vebev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Starbucks? No.

NPR? No.

My radio station? KTHI

5. dareniott

dareniott New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Aug 2 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]489333[/snapback]</div>
    We certainly agree on public radio, perhaps that's where it ends. I think the market decides, sure Starbucks has lower costs and higher profits margins but I firmly believe any of the mom and pops that can compete on a product quality basis will survive. Certainly there are locations where they co-exist. I find the convenience and quality of Starbucks undeniable. I have lived in 5 different cities in 5 different states in recent years and I always KNOW where I can go to get great coffee. I'm sure some will even chime in to say Starbucks coffee is not good, I drink a lot of coffee and a lot of kinds, and I love Starbucks.

Anyway, don't want to turn this thread into an argument on the politics of big business. I was just wondering about a trend I seemed to notice with Prii frequenting Starbucks.

Any other things we all share other than the willingness to to what our government won't and help clean up the environment?

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Intelligent and wise in political view? No. Just take a look at
    all the sword-rattlers over in Fred's.
    _H*

7. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't drink coffee. Don't listen to NPR, although I do listen to a variety of talk radio. If not talk radio then my ipod. :)

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NPR - Yes (when not listening to iPod or CDs)
    Starbucks - Cod no, I prefer good coffee (Peets on the West Coast, Dunkin Donuts on the East Coast)

9. dareniott

dareniott New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 2 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]489371[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know Peets, but Dunkin' Donuts, SERIOUSLY?!?

10. noelty

noelty Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 2 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]489371[/snapback]</div>
    I LOVE Peet's Coffee!

11. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    NPR yes!!

Starbucks yuck!!!

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Aug 2 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]489333[/snapback]</div>
    2 of 3 for me. Peet's 1X/D. I'm glad I don't have to rely on DD since I could never escape without adding girth.

13. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Yes, I am an addict. I will always be an addict. Though I fight, my dependency is too deep seated in my wierd, neurotic behavior patterns.

I must (must, must ,must....) listen to the news while driving. While NPR is my first choice, I branch out relatively often. I actually really enjoy occasionally listening to BBC America or the CBC. How do I know that this news fascination is compulsive? Well, my wife hates listening to "people talking on the radio". When she is in the car, I try to not listen to the news. This usually will last 30-45 minutes, before I notice that my teeth are clenched, my arms and shoulders are tense, and my driving is getting aggravated.

Oh, I also drink good coffee when I can get it - from a local business when I can, and from a "giant evil chain store" when I can't. I will also shop at Wal-Mart, if I need something after midnight when nothing else is open.

I'm so ashamed....

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I sometimes listen to Click and Clack (NPR) while waiting in the Starbucks drive thru lane with my Prius ICE off. :)

Does that somehow make me a bad person? :lol: Don't answer, because I don't care. :D

15. gmlawrence

gmlawrence New Member

NPR yes
    Starbucks yes

In Austin there is definitely mom and pop and Starbucks. They each do well. I try to go to local businesses to but for me the coffee is just not as good. I am not sure why but I like Starbucks coffee.

Oh well at least I do not shop at Walmart. :rolleyes:

16. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Guilty as charged - :rolleyes:

(but actually I think McDonald's has better coffee, if you just want coffee, which I don't - and XM radio is luring me from NPR)

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i listen to some pretty hard rock, and i don't drink coffee. i weaned myself off the caffeine (mostly) after my qualifying exams.

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NPR - yes

Starbucks - Absolutely not. No shade grown organic coffees brewed there. I'm certain that all Prii owners appreciate the rainforest and would never think of supporting coffee growers that destroy rainforests for their morning cup of brew.

19. gmlawrence

gmlawrence New Member

quote name='SSimon' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:33 PM' post='489439']
    NPR - yes

Starbucks - Absolutely not. No shade grown organic coffees brewed there. I'm certain that all Prii owners appreciate the rainforest and would never think of supporting coffee growers that destroy rainforests for their morning cup of brew.
    [/quote]

I thought they did start providing organic? Oops. Well I am not supposed to drink caffeine anymore anyway so I guess I should quit the trips to Starbucks even for Decaf.

Thanks for the information.

20. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dareniott @ Aug 2 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]489330[/snapback]</div>
    Dont you mean older? Old to me since I'm only 22. :p
    Starbucks: only when I havent slept well and I have a busy day. Maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    NPR: you gotta be kidding me....