1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prioritized List of Modifications-Show vs Go

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by StreetGhost, Nov 9, 2014.

1. StreetGhost

StreetGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello! New to the forum and to the wonderful world of the Prius. Just bought a 2013 Persona. I see there are a good amount of modifications that can be made to a Prius in terms of performance. I am blessed with the bug that allows me to never leave anything stock. I am compiling my purchase list and have been using the forum as a resource. On the whole it seems like there is a dividing line in terms of performance mods that go back to the show vs go ideology.

About me and what I am looking to generate in terms of replies. I have owned several Infiniti's as of late. Love them on the whole but didn't like the direction they were heading and had some major customer service issues. Prior to Infiniti, I had a 1st gen xB that I loved. Great vehicle in so many ways but taught me the lessons of show vs go. As I said jumped back to Toyota and the amazing Prius and am looking for help. On my xB I had most performance mods done just short of purchasing the Greddy supercharger or adding a turbo. I would like to think I am more mature (I bought a Prius right) and more refined so I don't just want to buy parts for the sake of buying parts. If I could get some input say a list for each reply of the top 5-10 bolt on performance mods and where the line of show vs go falls that would be perfect. When I mean go I mean more about handling than I do actual HP gains.

To get it going where on the list (1 being most beneficial) would things like these fall:
    Coilovers
    Lowering springs
    Rear Sway
    Front Sway
    Strut tower bracing
    Chasis bracing
    Intake
    Exhaust
    Wheels
    Tires
    etc

I know all of these things wouldn't be considered show so maybe more increased performance vs placebo.

I look forward to your replies!

Accordlayingkit and Burna J like this.
  2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Coilovers would be the best best but around 2k for a quality kit. if you want lower and better handling
    Lowering springs would not be needed if you are getting coilovers
    Rear Sway an upgraded rear sway has always made the most improvement when ever i have installed one.
    Front Sway a slight upgrade but didnt feel as much difference compared to the rear.
    Strut tower bracing this can be done for cheap under 500 for strut and chassis bracing
    Chasis bracing
    Intake its not going to help that much. a drop in filter is cheap but an actual intake will be a few hundred and might not do that much benefit.
    Exhaust same goes as the intake. also opening up any exhaust intake system will always be beneficial
    Wheels get lighter wheels with sport tires? not too sure on this.
    Tires

if you have the money, i would get coilovers and upgrade the sway bars. After, that you should do the bracing, both strut and chassis. i believe that better handling will let you use the stock power more since the car will be able put down the power correctly and more efficiently.

3. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, you're off to a great start....

You got a Prius, you got a list and you found Prius Chat's mod section. (y)

Good Luck with your ride !!!
    And remember, we like pics. :)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Neither intake nor exhaust mods will change anything but the amount of noise your Atkinson cycle engine produces, it is NOT an Otto cycle engine. Turbo and supercharging would, but perhaps not in ways you would expect. (the traction battery will be charged more)

5. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Intake sounds so cool though! Makes me drive in PWR mode more often danget!

Plus IV and Burna J like this.
  6. StreetGhost

StreetGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the replies so far. I should clarify my question/post. My list was just an example of what seem to be the most common performance mods I have read about. Let me pose it this way, which will take coilovers and high end wheels off the list. If you had $1500-$2k to spend on upgrades what would you buy in order of what would make the most performance gains.

It sounds as if that intake/exhaust would just be for sound/looks/placebo. If we focus on suspension it sounds as if rear sway would be a solid starting point. Would that give better handling vs lowering first? What about front sway vs upper strut brace? What about the chassis bracing, where would that fall on the list? What about spending money on lighter weight wheels vs stock persona 17's.

Bottom line what are the top 5 bang for the buck mods?

7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i think you can get front strut brace, front sway bar, rear sway bar, chassis bracing all for under 2k easy. those should help with the feel of the car.

8. StreetGhost

StreetGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree, however are all of those things going to make a noticeable difference? While I could afford all of those I don't want to buy parts just to say I have them. I only want to buy what will make a noticeable difference. Again in comparison to my xB Toyota made a long list TRD parts for it as most/all of the parts they put the TRD name on made a difference. My gut is saying Toyota only made a few Plus/TRD parts for the Prius as those are the things that would make the most difference.

I am sold on rear sway/lowering springs. After that I am on the fence as to if there will be a noticeable difference. Again that is the purpose of my thread.

9. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i would get a rear sway bar first like you said. then front strut bar. those 2 should show noticeable difference.

10. StreetGhost

StreetGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

So front strut brace over a front sway bar? Where does the Rude person's/Cusco/Tanabe chassis bracing fall in the mix?

11. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    mikes500 mid chassis brace is the first one i installed because it was the cheapest, but i didnt feel any difference.

as for the front sway bar, i have no experience with it so i cant really voice my opinion on them. hopefully somebody else will chime in.

12. StreetGhost

StreetGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    TTT! Wow I thought this thread would have generated more interest/replies than this! From what I have read there are a lot of people that have done all sorts of mods out there and I thought more would have had an opinion.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you wanted fuel economy mods (Block heaters, grill blocking, wheel skirts, etc) folks might jump at the chance to show you what they have done. Very few people buy the world's most frugal gas powered car to make it faster. It is going to be a niche hobby until folk start buying Prius 'by mistake'.
    Got Hybrid? - Sport - Car and Driver
    They swapped the Atkinson cycle engine for an Otto cycle engine. In a Gen 3, that would be about 50 added HP max. (it will be an electronic nightmare)

Toyota ZR engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Accordlayingkit likes this.
  14. StreetGhost

StreetGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the reply and info. Again to be clear I am not trying to make it faster as I am well aware that is the furthest thing a Prius was designed for. Again I am more wondering about parts that increase the handling of the Prius. I have to imagine there is some market/interest in at least improving that part of a Prius since Toyota offers parts that improve the handling on the Prius. I don't think companies like Tanabe or Cusco would go out of their way to design and offer parts for a Prius if there wasn't interest/a market.

There seem to be lots of members that have lowered their Prius and bought all of the handling components that are for sale. I am just wondering what parts work and what parts don't seem to make a difference. It has been established that an intake or exhaust of any kind are really only going to change the sound of the Prius but do nothing for performance. So for me those would be at the bottom of the priority list if they even make it.

It seems like lowering it and adding the rear sway improve the handling. Does it end there or do any of the chassis braces, front sway or front strut brace make a noticeable difference or is it so marginal that it isn't worth adding the extra weight?

Also if I have the Persona wheels taking into consideration weight/size would it be worth considering purchasing say the Motegi MR125 in 17's as that would reduce the weight by about 7 lbs per corner. What is that going to do in terms of handling and/or gas mileage. Would that be a worth while investment or is it just going to really just be for show?