1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2012 Battery Life - when parked

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Andy780, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Andy780

Andy780 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius battery died after leaving at the Charlotte airport for 11 days. Is this normal and can anything be done to avoid a dead battery. The Toyota care tech who started my car said this is a common problem. Too bad Toyota did not highlight this issue.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to Gen III forums from the Prius v forums.

3. letsgobobby

letsgobobby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I posted about this problem a while ago. The dealers are told to unplug the battery if stored for more than 30 days. The dealer told me to do this if storing for even 3 days, which I think was a CYA proposition. What we discovered in our case is that our kids probably left the dome lights on, so chalk that one up to user error. That said, we're hesitant now. For example I won't be driving my Prius to a remote trailhead and leaving it parked for a week. In both our cases the weather was cold (for us, in the 30s), which may have played a role even if no user error.

Since then I've gone up to a week leaving the car parked with no difficulties, but it was garaged at 40-60 degrees.

4. Andy780

Andy780 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks
    I have at times got to leave the car parked at the airport for a wk or two. A wk is ok but I have had to get it jumped after a 2 wk duration

Some folks have used a PV Solar battery charger to extent the life of the aux battery

Too bad Toyota wants to dig their head I the sand and not offer a good permanent solution

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If solar charger works, why not use? I use it in my boat.

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A couple of such "dead" situations and the OEM battery is known to then become unrecoverable requiring a replacement. I would

a. put the 12V on a trickle charger at home overnight BEFORE heading to the airport; this will hopefully bring the 12V battery SOC upto its limit.
    b. use the Solar charger while parked at the airport and
    c. supplement that with a low-voltage auto-disconnect switch; checkout the mod in my signature.

7. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, that's not normal. It's not uncommon for me to leave my car untouched for that long, and I've never had any problems. I think my parents left theirs untouched for 7 weeks with no problems.

As the car gets older, or if it was subjected to having the 12V battery run down previously, the length of time it can go without being turned on will drop. It may be that your 12V battery is on the way out - though for a 2012, it must have been abused somehow to be dying already.

It's also possible that something was left off, or something ran it down faster than normal; for example, a smart key nearby (even if it's not yours) might be able to drain the battery. Similarly, some sort of radio device might trigger the smart key system.

I would recommend preparing for this type of event (e.g. a jump starter battery pack or jumper cables), and maybe you can find out if it was a random thing or if your car is particularly susceptible to this problem.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did a week in Hawaii and left the car in front of the house. Started right up no problems.

Years ago I left the dome light on in my Honda Civic at the airport my mistake. Came back 3 days later dead as a door nail. Airport staff gave me a jump and away I went.