1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS 3rd Gen 2012 owners

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dreropohl_prius_2012white, Dec 9, 2012.

?

Prius MPG problems...

Poll closed Dec 9, 2013.
  1. go back to the dealer and discuss this and return/exchange for a car?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. keep it and your miles will improve

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dreropohl_prius_2012white

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok this is my story a LONG story but its my story and hear me out and please give all your comments and suggestions. AND ill get to my POINT soon just here is a little background.

I have been driving 3 years for a company that uses Prius's for taxi service but instead of using Lincoln town cars they use Prius's, and we have 6 2nd gen prius and 1 3rd gen prius and 2 highlander hybrids; 4 2008 2nd generation prius have more then 250,000 miles, 2 2008 2nd gen have 300,000 miles, 1 2010 have 200,000 miles and the 2 highlanders have 160.000 miles.
    So driving for this company for a couple of years, at first i was like WHAT! were driving people in a what? were driving a what? lol so never been in a prius, driven, looken inside a prius, i was concerned for the clients, bags and my self for being very unconformable, but driving a couple of hours seamed to have an open mind about it, smooth driving, gas saving, economical car for transportation, i fell in love with these cars, always wanting a BRUM BRUM car like a camero, mustang, chalanger, but i, not a batchlor, nor in high school anymore, and were going to start a family soon so, and especially driving all over San Diego, and the daily trip to LAX which is on average 2hrs and 10min and 112miles. So this is getting to my point! driving these cars with over 250,000 miles dont get that miles like it used to of course but they still avg. 43,44,45 MPG. when i drive with a work car from San Diego to LAX with a full tank all the bars are full once i get there i might have 1bar less with the 115ish miles from SD to LAX, and not just that trip i dont have to go to LAX but just around town in SD county and drive drive drive and when one bars gose down i take a look at the reset miles TRIP A and it says 97-110miles and the tank gives me about 450, 480miles in a tank(depending on trip, hills, mountains and traffic),BEFORE one bar of GAS goes down, now said that i have a car a ford focus 2007 with a full gas right before the needle goes down is about 42 miles ok its a as car yes that fine its not a hybrid, and we have gone to the vacational trips to LA and when we get there its at half gas, said that my fiancees old car has been giving us problems, so we sold it to the DMV and with the money we got from them we put that as our down payment to buy a brand NEW prius 2012 3rd gen prius 2, pearl white with only 11miles when given us, AND WE LOOOVE IT! amazing, but i thought it would get me the same miles, but its been VERY disappointing only 39, 42 MPG and 45miles BEFORE one bar goes down after driving, its just frustrating and deal breaker, and when i call, or go to TOYOTA they say "do you have a heavy foot? you cant go very fast because the MPG goes down, its brand new just have to wait a couple of miles, you drive heavy, no no no no im sorry to say this on a PRIUS forum but i dont drive 40MPH in a 65MPH zone but i have "training" for 3 years how to drive a prius and not have a heavy foot like other who came from a Porsche, Mercedes, MBW and drive very aggressively, i just want to know what the other prius owner have to say only getting 39MPG and only 300MILES on a tank is weird... and my current Hybrid has 5000miles, and makes me think the older cars have better miles becuase my FORD... YES MY FORD NON hybrid got the about the same miles... HELP!!!! thank YOU!!!

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That last sentence is much too long to be readable. Try breaking it up into several paragraphs.

Don't pay any attention to where that first bar goes down. It isn't very meaningful, especially on the first tank filled up by the dealer, not by you.

Please read the post linked below, and post your answers to this thread. Some things, such as tire pressure, should be checked and answered right now. Others, such as your actual MPGs, won't be meaningful until you have had a couple fill-ups.
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new

3. Spokanepriusgrl

Spokanepriusgrl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whew! I agree, that was one long, run-on sentence! Anyway, I have some thoughts:
    I bought a 2012 2 in Sept. and noticed the same thing. The gas mileage was horrible for about the first 1000 miles, but now that I have more than 3000 miles, the mileage is much better, even in the cold up here. Also, I noticed that on a road trip we just made from Spokane to Seattle in November, mileage was bad with all the freeway driving. I pay attention to the gauge next to the speedometer that goes from 0 to 100 mpg and make sure that when I drive, I try to keep it at or above 50mpg.
    I am from San Diego and know that area very well. I did the LAX - SD drive many times this year when my mom was sick in the hospital. your Prius will do well in all that SD traffic! Enjoy it!

OceanEyes likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to prius chat! congrats on your new car!:)

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldnt go by the bars on the gas gauge either.

Check your tire pressures. Search the site and inflate them to the recommended levels. I have mine inflated to 43 in the front and 40 for the rear tires. Even in the 20 degree weather and snow Im still averaging 45.5mpg. And Im a leadfoot.

OceanEyes likes this.
  6. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm on my second new Prius (2012/5) and still have the 2nd gen one (2008/2) which my daughter now drives. We experienced the "low" mileage in each one when it was new and it got better after the first 1000 or so miles. Tire pressure is paramount - keep a check on it - every time you fill up. One other thing I've experienced with the 2nd gen is every time I put a new set of tires on it, mileage sucks (relatively speaking) for the first 750-1000 miles. The 08 is averaging 47 right now (3500 miles on tires, 39 psi front, 38 psi rear) and the 12 has improved from 45 mpg when new up to 48-49 on last two tanks (same psi, but running 17" on it). Be patient, it should get better.

I also found that the two cars drive so differently that I had a hard time getting the "hang" of better mpg for the first 300 miles or so in the 3rd gen. Forget the gas (guess) gauge - the 2nd gen gets 100-120 miles before it loses a pip, the 3rd gen gets about 50 before the first pip drops.

7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Run on sentence with a stuck throttle!:D

Agreed on the MPGs... my initial MPGs were OK but I peaked with some record MPGs in October and am averaging 47 now... dismal compared to what I was getting but still respectable for the most part.

Still trying to eek as much mileage as I can before losing a pip on the gauge...part of the fun of driving with all these screens and technology.

Give the car some time and enjoy it!

Spokanepriusgrl likes this.
  8. fillupr45

fillupr45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

So I have a prius 3. I have put about 280 miles on it and I am averaging 29.1 mpg. My sister has one so I know how to drive it. The salesman told me I couldn't do that bad if I tried. He is putting call in to Toyota. Last night I parked it with an average of 46.4 since new tank full. I started it this am and let it run to defrost windshield (in Connecticut). It ran for 8 minutes with heat on and when I got in found average dropped to 32.2. Have driven it today and it's up to 34.2. Overall is still only 30.1. Not happy!

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This video may help. Also, the car needs to be broken in which is about 10,000 miles.

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok seriously - you ran it for 8 min and complain your mpg's went down. The ICE is running while going no where, so of course it will affect your mpg. At 50 mpg, the Prius uses a miniscule amount of gas compared to other cars, and any time the ICE is running while you're not moving will lower your mpg's, and it will seem dramatic. I can't imagine what your mpg's would be in a non-Prius in the same conditions!

OceanEyes likes this.
  11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My eyes hurt....

12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My MPG can range from 45 in the Winter (I like to have the heat on) to 55 in the summer. If it drops below that range the tires are underinflated or I drive with the windows open to create drag. Patience

13. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where in CT? I am southeastern CT/RI area - my "baby" enjoys being garaged at night but even on the cold days coming home from work the worst MPGs was 40.1 with the heat on...

Hope Toyota figures out what is going on with your "baby..."

JMD likes this.
  14. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have noticed that the gen III seems to be more "sensitive" to marked changes in mpg with any extended warm-up compared to my older gen II. Not sure if the changes to the coolant system contribute to that. I have had those times when I've been sitting in the car with the "power" on waiting for my wife to "just run in the store to get a few things" and suffered a big drop in mpg, but it usually recovers within a couple of days driving.

Is sister's Prii also a gen III? I've found the gen III "behaves" differently than the gen II in some respects when trying to improve my mileage. Your situation does sound a bit extreme though.

I have to agree with JMD - patience. My gen III just passed 2K and the mileage is already getting better - from 44.5 to 49 average now. Maybe we are just getting used to the car.

JMD likes this.
  15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He said he is on a new tank. If there is only a small number of miles on this new tank then of course the average mpg is going to fluctuate wildly until a larger number of miles is accumulated. This is especially true if you are getting 0mpg for 8minutes!

Even I can get 29mpg if I just refilled the tank and I let the car sit idling in cold weather.

16. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

The dealer undoubtedly ran the car in ready while prepping it for you, so the first tank's mileage is uncertain, go fill up and reset the trip meter and start anew, and wait until the third tank (without resetting again) to actually get a good indication of you average miles per gallon.

JMD likes this.
  17. Toyota4Ever

Toyota4Ever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow.... worst I got with my new prii was 43.2 and best was 67.4, with 100 miles on the odometer I'm still on my first tank of gas.