1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Actual Gas Mileage VS Advertised

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Johndoe, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Johndoe

Johndoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I drive my 2012 Prius 3 127 miles a day back and forth to work on mostly HWY. I use cruise control and never take it out of ECO mode. I only average 45-47mpg according to computer . I have never gotten more than 430 miles to a tank. Can anyone tell me why the car isnt getting advertised MPG? I now have 16000 miles on the car.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what speed do you set it at and what is advertised highway mpg's?

3. Don39

Don39 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming that you're driving a Prius v, I'd say that you are doing quite well given that the advertised EPA is 40 highway, 44 city.

4. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cwerdna likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are getting the advertised mileage.
    You just didn't read the fine print.
    They always say.... Your Mileage May Vary. ;)

Ignore the MDF.
    Ignore the DTE (distance till empty.)

The reason that you're not getting more than 450 miles out of a tank is that the fuel gauges in Priuses don't measure the bottom 20 percent of the tank. How much gas are you putting into the car?
    If you have a G3 (2010-) then IIRC you have an 11.8 or 11.9 gallon tank.
    Your tank range should be at least 500 miles---even the way you drive and whether or not you have the station wagon.
    EPA "highway" driving is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than SoCal highway driving. :)

YMMV!

Johndoe likes this.
  7. Johndoe

Johndoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You guys are really helping. Sorry for posting in wrong forum. I didnt realize I was in the V forum. I have a Prius model III not C or V. 51 mpg city / 48 mpg hwy is the advertised. I keep the cruise on 76 miles per hour on the 40 mile stretch toward the end of my trip each day (one area is 8 miles construction, marked at 45 so i put the cruise on 60mph) I am really interested in it not measuring the bottom 20 percent. I usually put around 9-10 gallons in when it says 15 miles left till you are walking. Are you saying i should run it to 500 miles and see what happens?

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome.

76 mph is well above the "advertised" value. The EPA estimates don't take speeds that fast into account. So, you're results are actually pretty good. Watch what happens on a slower stretch of highway, closer to what the measurement tests use.

Unfortunately, it's far too easy to focus on the big sticker numbers and not notice those in the smaller print. People don't realize it's a range where factors like fuel, speed, and temperature all have a major influence. Things like tire-pressure and oil-level do too.

Search the forum and ask questions. There's a wealth of info available for new owners here.

Johndoe likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, it's the speed. they don't test them at 76mph. there is a graph here somewhere that shows mpg v mph.someone will post it. you're in good shape, no worries.

Johndoe likes this.
  10. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So your car is rated 51/48 and you are getting an average 46 mpg doing 76 mph? Sounds to me like you are doing really good especially at those highway speeds.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When it shows 15-20 miles to empty, there are usually about 2 gallons left in the 1.9 gallon tank. If you are going to stretch your range you will be better off going by how many miles past 0 miles you go. Note that it won't read negative miles so you need to keep track of miles past 0 yourself.

Johndoe likes this.
  12. Johndoe

Johndoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess I am doing pretty well according the experts here. I guess at 635 miles a week M-F I am just trying to squeeze every drop out of it. I would say i usually drive it to about 400 miles a tank, 430 was my best. At that rate it is over a tank and a half a week just to work. I was wondering if the 400 miles was really low for the Prius when i hear the other people talk about getting close to 550. I drove it to 0 on accident the first week i had it and to my surprise it cranked up and drove to the gas station. I guess that isnt a fluke and is really something the car should be able to do. I will try to push it on the next tank to 450 at least. Thanks guys!

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here it is: Updated MPG vs MPH chart

Johndoe likes this.
  14. Johndoe

Johndoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Basically the chart says 45 miles per gallon is where i would be during my 40 mile trip at 76 mph. I can take that into account because the rest of the trip is a mixture of traffic lights and periods of driving about 65mph. I guess if the gauge reads 46 I am probably right on the 45mpg during the M-F period of driving. Thank you for the chart puts it in perspective.

15. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pushing 76 mph is the cause of your reduced mileage. Cruise control may not be helping either at that speed, especially if the car is straining to maintain that speed going up even slight inclines. You would do much better if you slowed down to 65, and let your speed slip a bit going uphill and making it up on the downside. But 46 mpg doing 76 mph...c'mon, you're doing great.

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1, Johndoe if you can tolerate 65 mph try that for a max cruise setting for a few days and see what happens.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll wager that if you set the cruise to 68 mph for the part of the trip you usually go 76 mph, you will average 50 mpg. It will add about 5 minutes of driving each way, and extend your miles/tank about 40 miles.You will have to fuel up less often, save fuel cost, and pollute less.

I often care about safe maximum range for my tank because like you, I have a long one-way trip and I try to fill up at less expensive stations. After 400 miles or so when the tank MPG on the meter is pretty stable, you can use that number * 11 for maximum safe range. Or knock off 20 miles from the result in the beginning to help allay anxiety ;)
    I avoid saying '500 miles on a tank' because a strong headwind or bad roads in the winter may make that statement wrong.

As mentioned, the tank is 11.9 gallons. I fill up using the slow rate on the fuel nozzle so that the pump does not end early from pressure burps.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll also be negatively affected by winter weather and winter blend fuel. Most of us Cali guys lose 5+mpg when temps drop below 60F and winter blend fuel kicks in. Once temps go over 70F, mpg goes up noticeably and over 90F mpg shoots up nicely assuming you keep the AC off. ;)

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please read Car and Driver: The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates | PriusChat if you want to learn about the EPA tests.

You mentioned "I keep the cruise on 76 miles per hour..." That'll hurt mileage for sure. The HIGHEST average speed of ANY of the EPA test cycles is only 48.4 mph. The tests aren't run on a real road either, but rather on a dyno. And, they don't measure actual fuel use but rather derive it from tailpipe emissions.

You can see those numbers at Detailed Test Information under Detailed Comparison... Do look at the graphs too so you can see how much time they spend at above 70 mph (not much).

From The Most Fuel-Efficient Cars | Best Cars for Gas - Consumer Reports and Best Vehicles for City & Highway MPG | City and Highway Mileage - Consumer Reports, one can see the Prius liftback has the highest city, highway and overall FE for non-plugin vehicles.

From the last page of http://web.archive.org/web/20060129105844/http://www.consumersunion.org/Oct_CR_Fuel_Economy.pdf, you can see they run their highway test at 65 mph. The EPA tests described there are the old EPA tests.

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A