1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Aftermarket Stereo

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Wharfe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've got a KTP-445 for my HU too. I just got all my connectors as well, since I don't want to cut any OEM wires. I guess I will try to install it within day or two.

2. MrUPSer

MrUPSer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    What connectors? Did you order something that enables you to install power pack without cutting wires?

3. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I did, cause I don't like to cut the wires (at least on car side) . I found the following connectors on ebay:
    Female Toyota connector
    Male Toyota connector
    Male Alpine connector
    I did't find a female connector for Alpine; however, it is not critical. If everything works I can cut male alpine connector on amp side and crimp it directly to toyota's male connector.
    Need to check if they will fit. I will let you know.

Attached Files:

4. MrUPSer

MrUPSer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Pretty sweet! I tried finding those connectors, but looks like you got the only ones. I'll probably just cut wires. I will be easier for me. Although, I don't know where to locate the remote and power battery cable behind factory HU. Did you find the battery, or are you hooking straight to 12 volt battery and using the fuse?

5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I can give this info to you tomorrow. I have it on my other computer.

6. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As promised, here is a sketch which I did in order to try my installation. I haven't done it yet but I will. The only pin I didn't find on Alpine connector is negative wire for illumination. I guess I will just connect it directly to a car harness.
    Here are some links from ebay, to connectors I've got. I did't install them into my car yet, so I am not 100% sure that they will fit. I will let you know today or tomorrow.
    TOYOTA 4Runner 2008 2009 2010 2011 Radio Wiring Harness | eBay
    METRA 71-1761 RADIO REPLACEMENT WIRING HARNESS FOR TOYOTA/ SCION 1987-07 NEW | eBay
    ALPINE BLACK 16 PIN LEAD WIRING WIRE HARNESS SHIPS FROM USA | eBay

7. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So the good thing is that the connectors fit perfectly. My HU turned on and was working through the amplifier, but I didn't hear any music. I have checked all the wires and they are connected correctly; however, I guess there is one problem. I didn't connect only 3 wires. On my sketch above they are pins ## 2, 9 and 10 (number 11 doesn't have a crimp pin in aftermarket Alpine connector). My aftermarket connector names these wires as follows:
    2 - phone mute - match the sketch above
    9 - antenna power - match the sketch above
    10 - amp turn-on 12V+ kind of match the sketch description
    I need some help. I guess my problem is that pin #1o should be connected to power. However, I am debating whether it should be ignition or battery power? Any thoughts?

8. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wharfe, can you read my post above and see if you can help me with my issue? Do you remember where your pin #10 (blue/white wire) was connected?

9. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've connected power pack's pin #10 amp turn-on 12V+ to ignition power and everything works great now. What a difference. I use my original HU with Alpine power pack and two sets of PolkAudio in front and at the back. The difference is huge and that's exactly what I was looking for. My goal was to make a sound system just a little bit more powerful, but to make the sound crispier and clear was the priority. My goal was achieved. I did all installation on my own, so the hardware cost was less than $300. Not bad to my opinion.

Attached Files:

• conn.JPG
      conn.JPG
      File size:
      199.7 KB
      Views:
  10. MrUPSer

MrUPSer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Nice job Mik1! Mine is all hooked up as well. I hooked powerpack to factory HU as well. All is good and sound is crisp.
    Tycho, th
    anks for all your help. Everything is hooked up and sounds great. I installed the Alpine KTP-445U Head Unit Power Pack 45W x 4 Car Amp
    , 2
    Alpine SPR-60C 6-3/4" 2-way Component Speakers, and 2 rear ​
    Alpine SPR-60 6-3/4" 2-way Car Speakers. I called Crutchfield and Toyota, and they were able to help me in a little more detail. Here are the color coding details for the 2 white radio harnesses to my 2012 Toyota Prius C III. Hope this will help anyone else:​

Attached Files:

11. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    yep, I do like the sound of my power pack too. can't say that it's crazy loud but that's not what I was looking for. I just need a crisp and clear sound of my speakers and I've got it. Very happy.

12. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Mik1, sorry I wasn't getting notifications of your replies, but I'm glad you figured out the problem and are now enjoying the great sound.

I'm surprised you don't think it's "Crazy loud" ... Difference of opinion maybe! I have heard the amplifier over drive (and of course I turn it down right away then) but it's pretty loud at that point. The speakers can definitely handle more, and produce more bass if given more power, but the amp has no problem getting to the pain threshold for me. For the size and easy install it totally rocks! Loudness aside, the quality improvement alone is worth the upgrade. The amp in my JVC head unit sounded terrible compared to the Alpine.

13. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wharfe, don't get me wrong I do love the sound and improvement is huge compared to what I had before. The amplifier is definitely rocks and the sound is really, really great. I love everything about it, especially the price tag;)

14. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Man these cars were not designed with good sound in mind (obvious from the factory stereo)

I dampened my doors a little but I'm getting a nasty rattle from both of the front doors with certain bass. Not happy about it considering the time and money spent to do this install.

A little tricky to identify the source but I'm gonna try and figure out what's causing it and if there's a remedy.. anybody else have this issue?

15. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I do have rattle from time to time when the volume is above 30 (50%) on my original HU. Luckily I've put some rubber door insulation strips (which I've got from Walmart for $1 each) in between the doors and the plastic panels and it seems it worked. I have less rattling even from the road now.

16. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    screw all that, i'll just pay someone to do all this....anyone know of an affordable nav/radio for the C? Like at bestbuy or something?

17. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I want to upgrade my sound in my C. I have the prius c two.. can someone help me out? I have not a clue what I'm doing.

Should I take it to a shop or Do it myself? will bluetooth and the steering wheel controls still work???

18. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It all depends on your end goal and budget. I just ordered a big batch of audio equipment as I'm doing a medium build in my car, but then again I went to school for acoustics-based audio engineering so it's 2nd nature to me.

If you've done designs and installs before, go through the usual steps [budget, SPL needs, SQ needs, weight concerns, etc.], then start selecting components accordingly.

A super-simple idea is to retain the stock head-unit [which SquallHeart will hate], implement an Alpine Power Pack, and replace the speakers with higher quality units [6.5" component set up front, 6.5" coaxial in back]. Make sure they baffle nicely to create decent bass, and throw a sheet of sound damping and foam trim rattle block strips in each door to quench rattles. You can select speakers based on your budget, because there's something offered for everyone. With the stock head-unit you'll give up some sound quality but you'll retain delay-free steering wheel controls, the great bluetooth, and retain stock aesthetics, usability, and reliability.

Cheers,
    Ryan

Jacob Wilson likes this.
  19. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Do you suggest this because it would be plug and play because of the toyota connections? I am on a budget would like to get just a radio with nav that works with the blue tooth for under 500$ if possible. Ill get the speakers later.

20. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    that's more or less what I'm thinking about doing too. Any suggestions for the best (sounding) way to get from my factory head unit to my linear-power amp? Some company make a particularly good sounding line-level converter? I'm assuming that the factory head unit doesn't have pre-amp out terminals :(