1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C vs Yaris Hybrid (67 mpg eur)

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by jerrydelrey, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to all the review articles out thereI've seen, yes, both the Yaris HSD and the Prius C share the same 1.5L engine, HSD transaxle, and the smaller hybrid battery.

Fuel economy between the two should be almost identical.

3. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    they are almost the same. toyota don't bring the Yaris Hybrid in US because they don't want to hurt the sale of the Prius C. I think they will bring it like 2 years later. lol

I love the yaris hybrid headlight.

I want to see the next generation hybrid from toyota. I think the MPG will go up to 65 to 80MPG when the price of the battery drop, the size of the battery decrease and the power of the battery can store increase. they can put a smaller engine and bigger motor in the hybrid.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what I thought, but auto blog calls the Yaris the big brother, so I was thinking it was bigger.

I like the Yaris bumper better. Everything else the Prius c.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Prius c is actually half size bigger than Yaris, it is more like Fit.

In Europe, customers prefer hybrid drive-train in conventional model so thats why they have Yaris Hybrid. We also have Corolla hatchback hybrid in Europe and it sells better than Prius.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you think that's how it's going? In Europe every model will have a hybrid option in the same way there's a diesel or petrol option, whereas in America the hybrids are all under the Prius banner? In a similar way to what BMW are attempting with the Mini (which is as mini as my ar**), Mini Clubman, Countryman etc.

7. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you brought this theme up here. Many do not seem to know that there is a specific thread on the Yaris Hybrid started by PriQ.

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-hybrids/102578-yaris-hybrid-reviews.html

Together with a few other PriusChatters, we've been trying to compile a comprehensive overview.

It appears to be somewhat difficult for the mainstream Chatters here to find that Thread, which is a bit hidden in the Deep side of the Forums.

The excitement around the Prius c launch is also drawing most of the attention. I devore it because it gives me a good impression on what to expect from a Yaris Hybrid that we in Europe, will be able to test only in a couple of months, but can already preorder. I am of the verge to order one.

The thread is still relatively small size, so for the Chatters who whish to compare the Yaris Hybrid with the Prius c, it may be worthwhile. They may also learn more about their own vehicle, from the technical side.

And to end, this URL in which it is claimed the Yaris Hybrid would be launched also in the USA. Is this a reliable source or a hoax? If yes, our US friends would have the opportunity to choose between the cousins!

I'll be there to try and answer your questions!

Jan :welcome:

@spwolf:

By now, I thought you would be convinced of the contrary. I wonder whether you continued reading the Yaris thread, since I provided ample evidence for the fact the Yaris and Prius c are almost twins, except for their looks.

The Verso S is sold as the Ractis in the US. Here a Verso S review and a picture.

[​IMG]

Please compare with the pictures of the Yaris and Prius c...

It's a nice minivan and a competitor of the Fit. T. could easily put the Hybrid drivetrain into it, but may lack the capactiy to do it. Maybe in the future. It is a nice and roomy small van.

@GrumpyCabbie:

The Camry Hybrid is a regular Toyota. Their politics are not so straightworward as you think.

One can read more on this in the Yaris thread.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks to me like a junk site.

Anyway, I don't think there's any chance of it. For hybrids (and soon EVs!) that are conventional models Toyota assembles them where they build the conventional model. Then, they have the "Prius" hybrids that are built in Japan that they export.

The Prius is a strong brand in the USA. The haters are yesterday's news: hybrid consideration is at record levels and young people in particular are enthusiastic about them. The Yaris is a subcompact also-ran here. Importing the Yaris Hybrid would mean both losing the Prius branding and the reputation of Made In Japan.

The USA, the 2nd biggest hybrid market will continue to get the hybrids Japan builds.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it looks like a junk site. Fully agree with your analysis. Leave it up to T. to decide what is best for them.

The folowing is also posted here, because it fits in this topic, and should allow comparing the Yaris Hybrid offer with the Prius c.

I just got an offer for a Yaris Hybrid Mid Grade level (called Life in Germany), with the Comfort Package and Red metallic for 15990 Euro (20950 Us $), all taxes and delivery charge included. This is 18% off the offical dealer price of 19,060Euro (24980 US $ all taxes included) (but 690 Euro delivery not included)!

Without these extras, I would pay 15190 Euro. MSRP dealer price: 17900 Euro (23460 Us $).

It comes standard with:

Unique front bumper with aero grill
    4 disk brakes
    7 airbags (it lacks the front seat anti-dive ones)
    dual zone automatic climate control
    Height adjustable driver seat
    Adjustable leather steering wheel with distant controls
    Projector headlamps with LED Daytime Running Lights
    Follow me home lights (headlight switch-off delay)
    Rear LED lights
    Electric coloured-keyed door mirrors
    The Toyota Touch providing a colour touch screen control for the audio, MP3 / ipod and telephone and even converts to a rear-view camera to help whilst reversing into tight spaces.
    ECO-Drive-Monitor
    Height Adjustable trunk bottom, low and high position
    Softtouch-Elements on the Dash and front doors
    central door locking per key with distant control
    no start button

It has no Alloy wheels (15 in.), but I'll keep these for the winter tires, and I'll buy the Toyota Yaris Alloys for the summer tires.

The confort Package includes:

Keyless Smart-Start System (replaces the key in the standard version)
    Cruise control with speed limit
    Rear electric windows
    Rain sensing wipers
    Dusk sensing headlamps
    Auto-dimming rear view mirrors

All in all, this is a Prius c 3 with quite a bit of extras unavailable on the Prius c range.

Jan

TYHSD and Flying White Dutchman like this.
  10. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you find the c very roomy. As a matter of fact, it's about the same size of a Yaris, and the cab-forward built of the latter makes it even a bit roomier. Both are very roomy for their class. And the c is a Prius...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jan

11. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mpg of the Yaris Hybrid according to the European scale is 67 mpg combined (3.5 l/100 km).

Strange enough, it rates 75.9 mpg outside the city (mixed 4- and 2-way roads (3,1 l/100 km) and 58.8 mpg in the city (4,0 l/100 km). The inverse of the EPA scale. Some of the mpg reports coming in for the Prius c somehow seem in line with this.

Experience and Fuely/SpritMonitor indicate that only about 20% of Hybrid owners get the Euroscale figures.

Remember, many drive a lot faster on our Highways, 80 mph (130 km/h) being considered as slow in Germany!, and 65 mph (100 km/h) being allowed on 2-way roads, which are plenty here.

Check it all out in the Yaris Hybrid Forum

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-hybrids/102578-yaris-hybrid-reviews.html

12. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here, one can see how the Yaris Hybrid differs in look and personality from the conventionnel Yaris. The Hybrid has the so-called "Keen Look", also visible in the 2012 Prius Liftback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. We have the Camry Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, GSh, RXh, LSh as hybrised versions of regular models.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Does that mean you bought that yaris? If so congratulations. Let us know how you like it. That sounds like a very good price.

Thanks for debunking the idea that the prius c is significantly bigger than the yaris hybrid. I think these figures will help understand the size. Passenger volume of prius c is 87.4, the cargo is 17.1 slightly bigger than the regular yaris sold here. What are they in the yaris hybrid.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will first test the 1,33 l 100 HP Yaris with automatic CVT gear called MultiDrive S here, to gain a general impression of the Yaris. I am also considering a used Prius 2010 and a Renault Zoé EV.

[​IMG]

If the yaris is OK for me and my wife, I'll place the order. Delivery not before June 16th, but we are not in a hurry. The new car would replace a 1996 Picnic 2,0 l with automatic gear box. It has about 140,000 Miles and is still fine. My main car is an Avensis running on LPG (half the price of gas).

From available pictures, The cargo is 287 l are (17500 cubic inches and 10.13 cubic feet). It is 28 in. deep.

cargo load lower position:

[​IMG]

cargo load higher position:

[​IMG]

I have no figures for passenger volume. The Yaris' cab-forward configuration is somewhat better for roominess in the front seats, and it also offers more head space in the back. That may have been used for a more upright position. Provided the cargo space of the Prius c were longer, the knee space could be the same.

Jan

1 person likes this.
  16. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how about the price?

17. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek: in us you'll get $$$$ ticket for driving that fast

18. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Answer in post # 7

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    15190.. that sound OK.:)
    thx for the info!

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think they will eventually have hybrid option in every car :).