1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Factory reverse camera

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ed Law, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Ed Law

Ed Law New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys.

Attached is a photo of my non jbl Factory screen head unit.

I wanted to know if anyone here knew whether or not the factory reverse camera would work with an after market head unit?

Please let me know if you need more details :)

And thanks in advance!

Thanks,
    Ed

Attached Files:

2. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ed,
    I don't know about Australia prius, but US prius use a 6V camera which gets its power from the head unit. I don't know if an aftermaket
    HU would do that. I think most aftermarket HU have a yellow RCA plug for the video from the camera and leave getting camera power up to the installer. The aftermarket rear view cameras are pretty cheap (around $20 USD) and running the wire from the back hatch to
    the front is not that hard either. So given all that, if your going to replace the HU, why not replace the camera too.
    Just my opinion for what it is worth.

3. Ed Law

Ed Law New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks mate.

I was thinking that it wouldn't be too hard but i just wanted to save myself the head **** hehe

Do guys just pull power from one of the reverse lights to activate the camera?

I think ill do what your saying.

Ed

4. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ed,
    I've never put in an aftermarket HU, but in other threads, people have said they tapped into the backup lights. You have to look
    at the HU and see what triggers it to display the camera video. Some are triggered when they see a video signal, in which case
    connecting into the reverse lights would work.

Ed Law likes this.