Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

1. TGB4 2014 Prius Convention Hotel Discounts are ending this week. Click for more information. All Access registration with personalized items ends Sept 1. Register now!

Prius HV battery SOC 80% flattened my 12v aux. Battery

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by lopezjm2001, Apr 17, 2011.

Social Buttons

1. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Test guinea pig #9

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I got home and I left my Enginer kit switched on to charge up the Prius HV battery but I forgot about it. Later on I noticed the Engine was running. I returned to my Prius and the SOC was 82%. I switched off the Enginer switch and let the car run the SOC down to 80% and then I switched off the ignition and locked up the central locking.
    About aprox. 6 hours later I could hear the miniBMS buzzer sounding off from my backyard. I went to my Prius and found that it had lost total power. I could not open the doors as they were locked so I used the normal key to open the RHS door. I could not open the rear hatch to get easy access to the 12 volt battery so I had to enter through the back door to climb into the rear hatch area. I found that my 12 volt auxiliary battery was down to 5.51 volts. I quickly disconnected the 12 v aux battery and charged it up with a charger. Has anybody ever heard of a Prius that will use power from the 12 volt aux battery to burn off excess charge of the HV battery. Has this situation ever occurred to anybody else.
    Later on I hooked up the charged up 12 volt aux battery and found that the HV battery SOC was down to 62%.