1. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    is there anything in particular about an itech that you cannot (if you so choose) without great difficulty do with aftermarket or Toyota sourced parts ?

TIA
  2. Offline

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're talking about the 2nd generation, the only thing I can think of is the Intelligent Parking Assist.
  3. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes 2nd Gen
    thanks !
  4. Offline

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hang on a minute.... I was checking my list again...

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html

I didn't realise that the i-Tech had quite a few more tech items than expected. So, hopefully you'll read this thread again.

Scrolling down to Australia (It goes US, Canada, UK then Australia), there are a few things you can't add without great difficulty or aftermarket.

- Vehicle Stability Control
    - Side and side curtain airbags
    - Smart Key System

Leather, nav, rearview monitor, bluetooth and other audio additions are easy additions aftermarket.
  5. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    good things to consider in the mix of things. Might be some advantage in spending cash on aftermarket bits as opposed to having an itech
  6. Offline

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on what you want, I suppose. You will get traction control as standard equipment, just no stability control. The Prius does fair better in side collisions with the airbags (there was a 1 star difference). I don't know the prices between the two in Australia. I would think there's a greater difference for the 3rd generation between the base and i-Tech models compared to the 2nd generation.
  7. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no denying the airbags are a loss
    but I took the opportunity to purchase an ex lease 2008 Prius from a batch of 3 very cheaply. While its fair to assume its a base model they do have a high equipment level for a small car.

thanks for your help
  8. Offline

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Np. Welcome aboard!
  9. Offline

Dolce_Vita Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also got a base 2008 Prius very cheaply! They depreciate heaps in the first few years making them a great slightly used car buy on the Aus market :)

The Aus base model is still alright equipment wise, with the exception of the lack of airbags :(

What colour did you get?
  10. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    its silver, and Im not unhappy about that
    Took all of them out of the warehouse for a spin, quite the strangest driving experience Ive had in a long while, but I confess to being a bit smitten.

PS I think fuel is going to go through the roof very shortly with the changes in exchange rate
  11. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks !
  12. Offline

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see that you've met our other Aussie =). We have a few around here (Pat Sparks is another).
  13. Offline

Dolce_Vita Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea fuel has become much more expensive! Today i filled up at like 1.50 a litre, $65 got my 42 litres or something - that should last me about a month/950kms. A few tanks back i broke 1000km, although my long term average is 4.5l/100km (calculated, MFD says 4.3l/100km)

I started my L's and drove for a whole year on nothing but a Prius, after getting my P's i started driving other cars and learnt how to drive a manual, all of it felt VERY weird when i was used to driving a Prius - but in comparison to other cars the Prius is a very different car to drive.
  14. Offline

Agent J Hypoliterian

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's an i-tech and i'm pretty much satisfied and feel 'safe' with all the bells and whistles. the only one i don't get use is the bluetooth. somehow it doesn't work with my phone.
  15. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ive never gotten bluetooth to work between my cell phone and PC either. I think the reversing camera and nav are replaceable by 3rd party products but might require another 7" screen.

In which case things can be reconfigured a bit so I need to decide what I need and when. There might be some advantage in having user selectable full time reverse camera on the Prius screen and GPS on a new screen
  16. Offline

Dolce_Vita Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally don't need nav, if i don't know how to go somewhere i just look it up on Google Maps first, as for a reverse camera, i got parking sensors installed so it's not essential, although they beep when there's nothing behind me - just rely on instinct when reverse parking.
  17. Offline

sidecar Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ive never had nav. but as i shoot real estate it could be handy on a daily basis, but only if its up to date. And for rear facing camera, I think this is the one area of the Prius were visibility is beyond poor. I visit properties Ive never been to before regularly that have the inevitable lively border collie dogs, and I would be horrified if I drove over one, let alone children while manoeuvring to turn around.

Since I cant hack the nav that has to be third party, but I can acquire a genuine Prius reversing camera on ebay, and that doesnt look to difficult to sort out onto the Prius MFD