1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius MFD not showing the battery charging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Yasir choudhry, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Yasir choudhry

Yasir choudhry New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, I have got Prius 2004. I have got a problem
    With MFD. It's showing the screen where it should show that the battery is charging but it's not showing the charging at all. Car is running fine and starts as normal. I have changed the 12V battery but it's still not showing the charging. Can anyone please help me on this. Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the mfd could be bad, we have an extended warranty here.

3. Yasir choudhry

Yasir choudhry New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi bisco, the rest of the mfd is working fine. It's showing the rest of things like climate control and I can change those settings by touch screen.

4. derekderek

derekderek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pins 60 and 58 need to be resoldered. There are extensive write-ups on this issue. I have same problem. Buying a fleabay unit then imagonna try to fix my old one. Display is fine but that is where all external data comes from and it is a weak point on 04-05 models eith display with part # ending in 0. Better version has same numbers but end in 1.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no extended warranty?

6. derekderek

derekderek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    toyota charges about $4k to replace MFD. i just tried to fix mine last night. didn't work. man those pins are SMALL!! i wiggled the boards and saw display act right for a couple seconds at a time. thought i was gonna get lucky, but...buying an ebay unit. they are sometimes under 200 bucks. apparently all interchange from 04-09 nav or no nav. i will update results as the one i am looking at is 09 nav unit and i have 04 base model...

7. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Soldering circuit boards can be a challenge. Here are some tips I have found to get a good solder job. The first thing I use is a head magnifier so I can see those small parts. Use the high magnification loop to inspect every connection. Sometimes you can't see the bad connection. Since you warped the board to find the bad spot you may have to "shot gun" solder the area that is bad.

Next use a quality soldering iron. Not a cheap plug the cord in type unit. Good soldering irons start at $35.00 and can go over $500.oo a good $40.00 iron or more can be found on Ebay.
    Make sure the tip is iron coated and .030 conical type. Small chisel types can be good too.

Be sure that you use solder .030 diameter. 60/40 Kester is good. Try to get lead free solder. If not lead solder actually works better because it flows quicker.
    Use a good lamp to be able to see the small stuff.
    Get a sponge tip cleaner. Soak it in water to use. Wipe the tip often to keep it clean. If the tip gets bad too quickly the heat is set too high.

Practice on an old board. See how easy it is to cause a solder bridge. Those are bad, don't leave a solder bridge there since the module won't work or it goes up in smoke when powered up. Clean it up with Chemwick.

Don't be afraid to put on the heat. Just don't melt everything around the point you want to solder.
    Solder flows good when hot (400 to 600 deg.,) lead free solder needs more heat but you get a "cold" joint if not hot enough. (Lead solder can have a "cold" joint too.) Cold joints sometimes take time to loosen up. Don't make trouble for yourself.

Buy good solder wick braid. Chemwick is very good. (Used for removing solder.) Spend some money, the cheap stuff just won't work. 5 foot rolls may be all you will need anyway.

I have been repairing electronics for over 35 years and the parts kept getting smaller! Good soldering comes with practice and good equipment.

May your next repair work well.