1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius only Starting after Jump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Baquio, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there guys,

I just took the family prius to college this year because both my brother and I are attending the same university. Unfortunately, the car died recently and I have been doing whatever I can to fix it. Here are the symptoms:

2004 Prius.
    Died in a Barnes and Nobles parking lot.
    Replaced the 12V battery w/ an Optimus Yellowtop battery.
    Will only start with jump.

Any advice?
    Thanks guys!

2. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Its possible that you have some kind of leak that discharges the battery when the car is off. Maybe one of the interior lights is turned "ON" permanently?
    Another possibility would be oxidized/corroded clamps on battery (clamps that connect to battery posts) or they are not tightened .

- Alex

3. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If it will start with a jump the problem is with the new 12 volt battery or the cables it hooks up to. Charge and test the 12 volt battery and check the cables including the ground where it attaches to the body.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some have reported that their new battery arrived in a discharged state, so it always best to check the condition before installing.

5. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not believe the leak would drain a fully charged battery right away after installation. D: I could be wrong however.

Would you like me to take a picture of the cables? What should I be looking for?

I used my tender plus to charge the battery to full capacity before installing it. However it said my old battery was in tip top condition as well. :(

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can't see a bad connection. As stated above, the ground connection to the chassis needs to be clean and tight. Measure the voltage at the jump point under the hood with a voltmeter. You should see the same as when testing at the battery itself, with no loads.

There has been one post saying that the connections from the rear to the front of the car were faulty. I think it was John BritPrius that pointed out they were aluminum wires, and could become corroded and faulty.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a repeat of advice that you've already been given:

Check the mechanical tightness of the positive battery cable as well as the negative battery cable both at the battery and at the body of the car.

Use a digital multimeter to measure battery voltage at the battery terminals, and also at the dedicated positive jumpstart terminal in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter. When the car is IG-OFF and after surface charge has dissipated, the voltage of a fully-charged 12V AGM battery should be ~12.9V. There should be little or no difference in voltage when measured at the two measurement locations.

How much current will your battery tender produce? A wall-wart tender is useful for keeping batteries at a full charge but not so great in bringing a depleted battery up since the current output typically is 1A or thereabouts.

If you can't find a problem given the above, the next step would be to measure quiescent current draw when the car is IG-OFF, the doors and hatch are closed and locked, and the fob (if Smart-equipped) at least 15 feet away from the car. A 2G should show around 0.02A current draw (20 mA or so) after the ECUs settle down.

8. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm using a battery tender plus from Amazon w/ 1.25 Amperes.

The battery cables at the battery are tight. Where are they located on the body?

I will bring in a multimeter tomorrow. Thank you!

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trace the negative cable to the point where it attaches to the body. Use a 10 mm socket to tighten the bolt, as needed.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

You should have had to access this already to install the battery correctly. Usually when removing the prius battery you remove the positive at the battery terminal and the negative at the body connection.

11. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright guys, update.

I tightened the terminal at the body connection like everyone said, fully charged my old battery, plugged it in, and when i connected the negative terminal to the battery, voila the car turns on.

HOWEVER:
    It proceeded to play gospel music for 3 minutes.
    Would not respond to the power button, nor the key.
    When I sat in the front seat with the key, the car turned off and became unresponsive once more.

Does this help any?

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You mentioned before that it will only start if jumped. Is that still the case or has it progressed to not starting at all?

13. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It still only responds to electronic queues such as the power button and the key fob when jumped. Or connected to another car battery for that matter x]

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please use your digital multimeter to measure battery voltage at the battery, and also at the main relay/fuse box near the inverter, at the dedicated jumpstart terminal. Report your measurements at both locations.

When you jumpstart the Prius, exactly where do you apply the jumper cables?

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And then it starts and drives normally?

16. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I jumpstart from the front inputs. It starts and runs normally when I do this. I've driven up to an hour while jumping it. However, as soon as I press the power button to turn it off, it is unresponsive once more.

My battery measures at 13 Volts buy itself.
    While it is hooked up in the back, it measures at 12.9 volts.
    The front panel measures at 1.3 volts.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you measure the voltage at the back are you measuring from both battery terminals or from the positive terminal to a bolt on the bodywork?
    Something for you to try that may point to the fault directly. Connect one jumper lead to the jump point under the hood, join the other end to your other jump lead (making one long jump lead) do not let this joint touch the car , now join the end of the second jump lead to the positive + red battery terminal. Does the car start?

John (Britprius)

uart likes this.
  18. Baquio

Baquio New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was measuring from the positive battery terminal to the bold on the body work. I will try that right now. :)

EDIT: The battery turns on the car when hooked to the front terminal with jumper cables. Is there something I can do to fix the connection between the front terminal and the battery in the back?

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is only two reasonable reasons for this, number one is there is a fuse link in the positive terminal at the battery. Check with your volt meter to see if there is 12 volts at the point where the cable joins the terminal, if there is 12 volts there the cable has corroded through at some point. Many are made of aluminium. You can either trace where it is broken (sometimes not far under the front fusebox) or replace the cable complete with some copper cable from your electrical store. Or more expensive replace with the Toyota part (no advantage in this). Any further help just ask.

John (Britprius)

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to see that you are very close to a solution. There should be a problem somewhere at the 12V positive battery terminal, 120A MAIN fuse, or cable.