1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Smart Key programming

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clem choy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. clem choy

clem choy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2007 Prius. I bought it used and it turned out the car was a zipcar and was modified for a zip card. When I bought it I had only one smart key and the smart key was operating properly. I lost the only key and got a locksmith, who sold me a smart key (presumably he got it from Toyota dealership) He tried to program it manually and that did not work and he finally plugged in a small computer to program it and that did not work. Instead the Brake light and a couple of other lights came on. I took it to a Toyota dealership and the technician was able to reset the light, disconnect the zip card but the smart key does not work properly. Below is what happened:
    1. I can start the car both with the key in or just with the key in my pocket.
    2. If I sit in the car for more than 30 secs, the computer will automatically turn the car on but not starting the car. When that happens, the car would not respond to the start button. If I open the car door and then close it, the car will be shut off (just the console, the engine is not on in the first place). Then I can hit the ignition and the car will start.
    3. If the engine is on and I open the door, the engine will be fine and continue to run. But once I shut the door, it will shut off the engine.
    4. If the car door is open, the console will not turn on even if I have my key in my pocket.
    5. If the car poor is open, I can start the engine. But once I close the door, the engine will be shut off.

Very frustrating, don't know what is going on and technician has no clue .Thanks for any opinion or help

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There might be some legacy equipment from Zipcar still in the car. Take it back to Zipcar and tell them to put the wiring back to the stock configuration.

Have the dealer (or someone who knows techstream) confirm that the Immobiler _and_ SmartKey functions in Techstream have been reset and reprogrammed to match only your new FOBs.

Also, this highlights why you don't want to lose all your FOBs. Once you lose all your FOBs you can be in smartkey/immobilzer hell. If you are a Prius owner and only have one working FOB, get a duplicate ASAP before this kind of stuff can happen.

1 person likes this.
  3. clem choy

clem choy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Dear 3 prong,

I will double check with the mechanics. He was like Toyota Heritage guru in smart key. So I would have to find a way to ask him. I bought the car from a used car dealer and there is no zip car facilities in Vermont. I am wondering is it possible that the smart key the locksmith gave me is defective? He told me he bought it from the dealership but I have no way to know. He did key it to my car. Thanks for the help.

I wonder everyone else has experience like this

Clem