1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Smell Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mike1990, May 23, 2011.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is no such thing as a normal battery smell. The batteries should have no smell whatsoever.

2. ArtsNfartsncrafts

ArtsNfartsncrafts New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an interesting thread, because the first thing my wife said when we test drove ours was, "It kind of smells like a deer, or something."

Weird!

Something that has helped mine significantly: I got a few of those yankee candle vent clips, and those have helped quite a bit. But what REALLY has helped (and no, they're not paying me to say this), was installing a leather center console cover from PriusHoods on Ebay. That's genuine leather they're using, and the strong smell permeates the vehicle very nicely.

Almost has that "new luxury car" smell!

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awww, isn't that just the cutest thing? Our latest spambot learned how to do a search! (Look at its other posts, folks).

4. cozmisu

cozmisu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone it seems that found the cause of this smell:

"I have a 2006 Prius and have been fighting this smell for a couple years.
    Here is what is causing the nasty smell.
    Under your back seat are the batteries.
    Try smelling in your trunk by the spare tire.
    These are enclosed in a steel box and vented to the rear passenger side of the car's wheel well. On top of thes batteries are (2) plastic tube vents that connect each of the battery cells together. Part # 28876-21020 you need (2) at $80.95 ea. You can not see these vents without taking the rear seats out and taking the steel battery housing apart. Real pain.
    Even though the batteries are under warranty Toyota says these are not covered?
    These tubes get sticky and smelly as they degrade. I took them out and 5 days latter the smell is greatly reduced. It takes time because there is some sticky material left on the batteries and this need to evaporate.
    Toyota took 3 days to get the 2 parts in and when I went to install them I found one of the new vents was sticky and smelly. I am waiting for a replacement. They must have a production problem on these parts.
    We need to fight Toyota on this repair. This should be covered under warranty. Who knows what chemical we have been breathing. They are playing dumb. There are postings about this on internet so this is not an unusual thing.
    I think you are better off having the dealer do this work rather than doing it your self.
    Good Luck"

5. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beano works for me

6. Navi05

Navi05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the exact problem, and no plastic part this small should cost $80.95 ea.
    Possible fixes:
    1. Seal it with brush on acryclic/silicone sealant and hope it keeps it from degrading.
    2. Make a replacement part out of silicone instead.
    3. Use stainless steel to replace the part.

7. tumh

tumh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a truck with that kind of problem. Big truck. Lots of seats, carpets, headliner, door panels. Took it to detail shopthat clained to deal with odors. They dealt with mine very nicely. Shampoo and scrub for all upholstered surfaces. Air cleaner through heater/AC ducts. New filters. Then it sat two or three days with their electronic air cleaner running in it. Very good results. Cost less than $200 I believe. Good luck with yours.

8. wzup

wzup New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We read elsewhere that the ducts on the electric battery were the cause of the smell. Prius battery exploration We ordered these parts from Toyota Parts East (I think) they were cheaper than through the dealer. We had them installed by a dealer, and the smell is now gone. Only issue is, I had the dealer save the parts for me so I could confirm the problem. These ducts, about 16" long, two of them, were very sticky and smelly. The exact smell that was in our Prius. I called Toyota US to ask for reimbursement, since this is definitely a Toyota problem. They refused, are denying the problem exists. So, we are out $300+ and had to put up with dead animal-like smell for three years until we read online how to fix it.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for TTT this thread - my 07 has a smell that a lot of people comment on. My bf says it smells like "something has died inside"... I dont smell anything though!

Im going to inspect these battery vent lines now! I bet its my problem.

10. Beverly Gunter

Beverly Gunter New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's often the battery vent tubes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well almost: you might be better off to just procure some vinyl tubes and replicate the original vent tube function. Cheaper, and Toyota's replacement might start smelling again.