1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Storage Time Limitation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by steccc, Apr 28, 2008.

1. steccc

steccc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dear All

I may need your help regarding the issue of Prius battery power if I park my car for an extended time. I am really considering about buying a Prius, but there is something really concerned me. It’s very easy for me to leave town from 2 weeks up to 6 weeks. I am wondering will I be able to start my Prius after such a long time. I went to Toyota service department in Boston. The technician told me if I don't start my car within ten days, the battery will dry out (she didn’t say which battery). I need to tow my car to service department to get the battery charged. I also check the Toyota Q&A, the answer is as shown below. I also check this with a Toyota sales representative, he said I can turn off my smart key system and everything will be fine. However, I think the nature of battery is to lose it electricity when the time passes by, even though you turn of the smart key system. That's why in the Q&A I found out in Toyota official website they suggested to do the things as they instructed.
    Since the Q&A and the answer in Toyota service department is a little bit contradicted, I want to learn the correct answer to help me decide. That's assumed a scenario, if I left my car in the lot without starting it for 6 weeks, but I disconnect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery. When I came back and connected the terminal, will my car be able to start? Will the electric motor battery be drying out at that time? This is the only concern for me to have Prius. Maybe you could give me other good advice on how to deal with the auxiliary battery and hybrid vehicle battery if I parked it for 6 weeks? Thank you for your help.

Chao

Question:
    "Do I have to take special steps to protect the battery of my hybrid vehicle if I plan to store the vehicle for an extended period?"

Answer:
    “ In addition to the storage tips for our conventionally-powered vehicles, our hybrids require additional steps for each battery, as the hybrid vehicle battery and auxiliary battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline.
    To prevent excessive auxiliary battery drainage, charge the battery at least once every two weeks by driving the vehicle for 15 - 20 minutes with all non-essential electrical accessories (such as air conditioning and audio equipment) turned off. As an alternative, you may disconnect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery.
    For the hybrid vehicle battery, charge the battery at least once every two months by starting the hybrid system for about 30 minutes*. Check that the "ready" light is on and all lights and electrical accessories are off. It is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but do not start the hybrid system in an enclosed area unless the tail pipe is connected to an exhaust hose to prevent harmful build up of fumes.â€
    *If the battery was disconnected, it will have to be reconnected before the hybrid system is started.

Thank you very much.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The hybrid battery is automatically disconnected when the vehicle is powered down, so the only drain is self-discharge. NiMh batteries are fairly good in this respect, so I don't see that as a problem for your storage needs. All you would have to do is make sure the hybrid battery was at normal levels before you parked it.

The 12 V battery is another issue. It is small and the Prius puts a pretty good load on it, even when sitting. You would want to turn off the Smart Key System, which is done with a simple button push. You might also consider a small solar panel for charging the 12 V battery. Six weeks is on the long side of what you can expect for that little battery, so a small jumper battery would be a good idea. The Prius is very easy to jump start, and only requires a very small booster battery.

Tom

3. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Our Toyota salesguy recommended taking out a particular fuse if the car was to sit around for long (can't remember which one).

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ichiro,

Your salesrep probably was referring to the DOME fuse. See attached TSB PD090-06.

Hi Chao,

No worries regarding storing your vehicle for six weeks as long as you disconnect the 12V auxiliary battery first. TSB PG007-03 provides advice to the dealers regarding how to maintain stored vehicles and how to prepare them for delivery.

Attached Files:

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are going to regularly leave your Prius for 4 to 6 weeks it could be an idea to have an auto electrician install an isolator switch on the 12 volt battery which you can turn off before you go. Alternatively disconnect the negative battery terminal before you go.
    You will need to reset the clock, radio presets and the drivers side automatic window on your return.

Overall no worse than a lot of smaller cars these days with smaller batteries.

6. dthom71

dthom71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Stecc-

Not to worry - I just returned home after 6 months away. Before leaving, the HV battery was at 5 blue bars. Upon returning, it was still at 5 blue bars, and the car started normally. I have a letter from Toyota stating that the NIMH batteries will not self discharge, and, if they did, the Toyota regional rep would recharge them. If not successful, Toyota would replace them.

I did leave a Battery Tender on the 12V battery, since a lead-acid battery could discharge even if disconnected.

Enjoy the car and don't worry!

7. steccc

steccc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you all for your immediate and helpful response. I will just go for it and no worry. Thanks a lot.

Chao

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you regularly leave the car sitting that long, and leave it parked in your garage, I would invest in a VDC Battery Minder.

12 Volt-1 Amp  Charger and Maintainer

I use an older model on the equipment at my hobby farm, the FJ, and the Prius, and all the batteries are fine after +4 years

If you have to park at the airport, at the very least you must disable the SKS

9. steccc

steccc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey guys, here's the reply from Toyota official.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding the Prius.
    Similarly to any other Toyota vehicle, the auxiliary battery in the Prius will discharge and require a jump-start if not driven for an extended amount of time (2 weeks or more).
    If the vehicle will not be driven for a period of time, be sure the auxiliary battery is fully charged (the vehicle should have been driven for a while at a moderate speed).
    A trickle charger can be used with the auxiliary battery in the Prius.
    Jump-starting instructions for the auxiliary battery are listed in the Prius Owner's Manual.
    The auxiliary battery does not necessarily need to be checked by a Prius Certified Mechanic and can be inspected by any qualified technician.
    If you plan on parking the vehicle for an extended period of time, you may want to have the auxiliary battery disconnected by a qualified technician.
    If you do not use the vehicle for a long time (2 weeks or more), the hybrid vehicle battery and auxiliary battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline. Therefore, in order to make up for discharging, charge them once in every 2 weeks for about 30 minutes by starting the hybrid system with all electrical components turned off.
    The two-week recharge interval assumes the auxiliary battery remains connected.
    Click on the hyperlink below for long term storage information. It contains a two-month interval in which the hybrid system should be operated, rather than two weeks. The reason for the two-month interval is that it assumes the auxiliary battery is disconnected.
    Hybrid Vehicle Storage Tips.
    If your Prius is not attended to for six months, it will need to be towed to a Toyota dealership for recharging at your expense, once the dealership has made arrangements to ensure that they will have properly trained personnel and the required equipment on hand.
    For further assistance in addressing your inquiries, please feel free to contact the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership.
    Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200804291579. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
    For more Toyota information, please check out Toyota Express Lube, our Frequently Asked Questions, Toyota’s 50th Anniversary in America, our Glossary and printable Do-It-Yourself Instructions. Register for the new Searchable Online Owner's Manuals! Click here to update your Ownership Information.
    Sincerely,
    James Fewel
    Toyota Customer Experience

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Chao,

The above excerpt is incorrect. It is only necessary to make the Prius READY "for a while" and left in Park; it is not necessary to actually drive the car at a moderate speed. This is because the DC bus voltage is maintained at ~13.8V when the Prius is READY. This voltage does not change as the car increases speed.

The time duration of "for a while" is not particularly precise. If the auxiliary battery is deeply discharged, it may require charging for a few hours.

In any event, there's no problem storing the car for 6 weeks if you ensure that the auxiliary battery is fully charged ahead of time and disconnect it prior to storage. One indication of "fully charged" is that the battery voltage reads at least 12.6V after the car has been left IG-OFF for an hour or more.