1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (in 10 weeks) Outsells Chevy Volt for 2011

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by car compulsive, Jan 18, 2012.

1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was an article in Automotive News today that Toyota sold 8,399 Prius v wagons in the 10 weeks of 2011 after its late October launch versus 7,671 Volts in all of 2011 (7,997 in the Volt's first 13 months on the market).

Congrats v owners!

1 person likes this.
  2. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It pains me to see any Prius mentioned in the same sentence as the Chevy fart. As for v sales -- I hope to read 50k/month sales in the US when it becomes widely known. It is an excellent choice for a family vehicle.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm expecting Prius c to sell even faster.

5. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Re: It pains me to see any Prius mentioned in the same sentence as the Chevy fart.

Why do you need to degrade another auto that is making us more energy independent? I hope the Chevy Volt, Prius v and any other fuel efficient cars continue to gain market share.

Brand loyal is one thing, but slamming others serves no useful purpose.

4 people like this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Problem is, the Volt isn't very efficient when running in charge sustain mode. GM over-promised all over the place (price, mileage, etc.) and under-delivered besides the company needing a bailout (mainly due to mismanagement) while still leaving the government holding the bag.

Besides, their CEO slammed the Prius: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...ius-geek-mobile-i-wouldnt-caught-dead-in.html. And Lutz made statements like http://priuschat.com/forums/environ...-lutz-says-global-warming-total-crock-sh.html. There was also GM: Hybrid compacts don't make economic, environmental sense - Jan. 6, 2004 in 04, when the 1st Priuses (the JDM NHW10) began shipping in late 97 in Japan.

1 person likes this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. xlr8me

xlr8me New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i bet after 5 years a prius is worth more than a volt (volt battery is approx. $6k replacement cost) and you can bet it will blow just after warranty is up

10. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Volt just needs a hack into its 16kwh battery, so it can have increased EV range. Also, a 5k reduction would also help...LOL.

11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Auto Execs Take a Swipe at Each Other at the Detroit Motor Show!

Auto Execs Take a Swipe at Each Other at the Detroit Motor Show - Carscoop

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Aqua (Prius c) will put out Volt fire. ;) How about that for public perception?

Prius v can save about the same amount of gas as the Volt (vs. comparable gas-only), without a plug and energy substitution. The fact that it outsold 6:1 shows hybrids lead in the total gasoline saving and we have not counted the Prius liftback yet.

Volt substitute gasoline with electricity. Prius (no-plug) saves gas by being more efficient and no additional energy required.

13. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While it great that the Prius V had good sales, how much it or a prius C saves is a function fo the owners driving patterns. Given the government traffic studies, a Volt will save more gas for more people than a Prius V or even a Prius C. The Prius C, with its lower price, will probably have a lower TCO.

The larger sales are a function of history and market. But traditional hybrids are not a major success, they only account for 2.2% of the sales, down from 2.4% last year. Maybe the Volt attract regular buyers when its price comes down or maybe will not be a big success, maybe the Prius C will be a real winner getting the hybrid prices below 20K.

The sales over the fleet are meaningless as a person only drive 1 (or maybe 2). If you want to use that logic, then consider that are way more trucks than Hybrids by about 17:1

[​IMG]

In the past 10 years the increase in truck MPG has saved more fuel than saving of full history of Prius. Note however that does not really make them more efficient.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Trucks are not sustainable but Priuses are. Any gas saving beyond the sustainability diminishes in return.

Hybrids have gone mainstream and it is expanding quick (with Prius v and c, CT200h, Camry, Fusion, C-max and everyone else jumping in). The next step is to blend in some electricity only when it makes sense.

Prius v does not require electricity to save gas but the Volt does, as a substitute. The room, utility and affordability of Prius v is superior than the Volt.

One more step beyond is hybrid expansion into trucks. Both Toyota and Ford are collaborating on it. GM 2-mode does little to penetrate due to the cost and complexity. Power split full hybrid trucks should become a reality in a few year with proven realiability, simplicity and affordability.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...a lot of that posturing and commentary just strikes me as juvenile.

IMO? Let your products and sales speak for themselves. If you are "talking about" getting your mojo back? You never had it to start with..

1 person likes this.
  16. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The point of the trucks example was to try to show you how illogical it is to talk about the "fleet" saving more gas. Yes the 1M prii have save more gas than the 10K volts out there. But for most people the Volt will save more.

Yep the Prius V has more space.. which is good. Now if it only has AWD I might get my wife to consider it over an EREV as her next car.

If the regular hybrid is so good/sustainable why did it loose market share from 2.4% down to 2.2%. Many people want a car with better styling and better power and more fun.

The Prius is NOT sustainable as gas is NOT sustainable. Only renewable energy, like solar wind or hydro, is sustainable. Long term even an EREV is not really sustainable as it still needs gas, but until BEVs have the type of range needed, EREV is more sustainable.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think a truck hybrid system would be quite as simple.

We've already seen the limitations of the single-geared HSD. I'd expect to see additional gearing in combination with any power split. It'll make it more expensive, but it'll increase the fuel savings.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt will substitute with another fuel, hardly any energy saving.

I don't think "fleet" saving is illogical. Sure, it can work both ways (save or waste gas) and that is the point. There is strength in numbers.

Volt may save a few hundred gallons of gas (3,648 vs 3,246) more than Prius v over the lifetime (150k miles). However, Volt will use 36,857 kWh of electricity. In term of energy saving, Prius v is superior.

I think Japan earth quake and US tax incentive drought are the major cause. The sales are still impressive considering those two factors.

Imagine how the sales would be if Prius v gets $7,500 tax credit? Imagine Volt without the $7,500? Even if Prius v get partial ($3,000) tax credit, a lot more gas can be saved. CMU study showed how the current plugin incentive is not providing the best bang for the buck. HEV and short range PHEV brings the most benefit yet there is little or zero tax incentive for them.

Sustainability depends on the rate of consumption. Gas is not sustainable now due to those trucks. Are you saying a Prius is not sustainable because 17 trucks (per your sales graph) are guzzling a lot more gas?

If you use too much of solar or wind, that won't be sustainable as well. The wind will stop and the trees without sun light cannot produce oxygen. Scary thought.

19. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

All I can say is WOW.. you need some help. No wonder my logical arguments and facts seem to fall on deaf ears.. you are in your own wonderland.

The prius did get tax credits when it started, back when the government wanted to get investments in hybrids. That's done.

The goal of the credits is not to buy down gas usage but rather to spur innovation and R&D. The Prius V is a nice car but had minimal risk or R&D needed.

The CMU study, by a faculty sponsored by Totoyta, was not asking the right question -- its about investing for the future not best bang for the buck right now. Then again you think oil is sustainable and wind/solar is not, so we cannot expect you to understand that logic.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps you misunderstood. Solar and wind are sustainable now. If we consume solar and wind energy at the same rate as we are consuming oil today, they won't be sustainable.

The link I gave you said it was funded by the National Science Foundation. What's your source that said it was sponsored by Toyota?

Tax credit was to increase the sale of hybrids to drive down the gasoline consumption and lower emission. US government did not invest in the Prius battery or the hybrid technology and manufacturing.

We have the government grants for EV/PHEV battery R&D and loans to build the battery factories for the plugins.

When someone wants to buy a hybrid or plugin, why don't we have the same tax credit for the hybrids? We now have $7,500 for the plugins but $0 for the hybrids. What's outrageous is, hybrids are saving more energy (WTW) per car.

1 person likes this.