1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs Hummer? Take that, Hummer!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by abq sfr, Jul 30, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I couldn't resist... from a funny winner/loser article in Car and Driver from Jan 2007. Full text at
    http://www.caranddriver.com/bestcars/12091...sers-page3.html

Loser: In the second quarter of 2006, GM lost $3.2 billion worldwide, in part because fuel prices savaged sales of full-size SUVs. Never fear. The General leapt into action, giving away 42 million toy SUVs in McDonald’s Happy Meals and Mighty Kids Meals. In the first five days of the promotion, GM moved 10 million Hummers alone— and none even had warranties or rollover warnings.

Then GM launched a Hummer ad campaign called “Restore Your Manhood,†which so offended viewers that it was canceled after two weeks. Then British Car magazine’s readers voted the Hummer H2 “the third worst car ever,†with one reader stating that the H2’s mileage was “identical to the IQ of its driver.â€

Which seems a little harsh. Guys who own Humvees sometimes get to sleep with Maria Shriver.

2. stef

stef New Member

......and, adding insult to injury:

"It wasn't a fair fight at all, but for funsies, a vintage-car hill-climb allowed Forbes Magazine to enter a late model HUMMER H2.

You know, just to see how the 316-hp, 4WD SUV would do against, say, a 100-hp 1921 Model T driven by a 70-year-old man. Like we said, it wasn't fair at all.

The HUMMER climbed the 475-foot-tall hill in 10.74 seconds and didn't even break a sweat. Among those not surprised at the HUMMER's prowess was Gary Le Fever, the Model T driver who was waiting at the top of the hill for the H2. Le Fever and his 86-year-old Ford had finished the climb in 9.96 seconds!"

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/model-t...-in-hill-climb/

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Jul 30 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]487815[/snapback]</div>
    Don't confuse an H2 with a Humvee. A Humvee or real Hummer is an excellent vehicle with as much technical sophistication as a Prius. An H2 is just a pickup with a big boxy body and large wheels. The Humvee does what it was designed for, and does it well, which is to be an serious military vehicle, not an SUV for mom to drive to the store.

Tom

4. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 31 2007, 07:09 AM) [snapback]487943[/snapback]</div>
    They are referring to the California Governator, who was driving everywhere in some variety of Hummer, probably the Humvee you are referring to. I think Arnold was making a political statement... after he watched "Who Killed the Electric Car". :angry:

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw a Hummer ad on TV the other night advertising 20 mpg highway! I thought it was laughable to even mention it. If their 20 is like Toyota's claim of 60 for the Prius, the Hummer comes out really pitiful.

Actual bumper sticker seen on a Hummer looking for a parking place at Whole Foods: "Yes, I know...I don't care." Enuf said.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Jul 31 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]488247[/snapback]</div>
    That's what it gets when they ship it by truck from the factory to dealership

7. Topgas

Topgas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Jul 31 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]488247[/snapback]</div>
    No way 20mpg, our Yukon got at best 17mpg with way less power, smaller wheels and super aerodynamic design. One of my customers has a Bummer and he told me he's never seen better than 14 mpg. Maybe we should get stickers say: Ya, well we do care.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Topgas @ Jul 31 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]488375[/snapback]</div>
    The 20 MPG/Hwy is for the H3, not the H2. That's the old EPA anyways. The new EPA numbers are probably 18 or 17 maybe.

9. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jul 31 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]488382[/snapback]</div>
    The old numbers for the H3 are 15/20 and the new numbers are 14/18

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    BTW, when do automakers have to advertise the new estimates? I have seen a lot of car commercials that seem to be the old MPG (ironically seems to be a lot of Chevy commercials).

11. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Jul 31 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]487973[/snapback]</div>
    Schwarzenegger drove an H1. It was the civilian version of the military HMMWV. The H1 was outrageously expensive, got even more outrageously bad fuel mileage, and was discontinued after they only sold 374 H1s in MY2006. Because of all the bad publicity surrounding the negative environmental impact of the vehicle, Schwarzenegger stopped driving his not long after he became governor of California. I don't know if he still owns it or not.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Aug 1 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]488708[/snapback]</div>
    As of less than a year ago, he owned four of them:

13. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    "do as I say, not as I do" right arnold?

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Prius vs Hummer? Take that, Hummer!!

Oh that tired old article from whats his name years ago ... long ago debunked. Next.

Guess what? Something like 75% of the total energy usage to make and use a vehicle is in the burning of the fuel.

But I suppose a Hummer is ok for driving a little here and there.

Check this photo out ... that 57 MPG is how it calculates at the pump too. So when H2 driver pumps in 30+ gallons after 400 miles, Prius driver pumps in 8

050705 198.jpg

.... and Hummer is out of business. Guess they weren't that great after all hahahaha

15. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Cycledrum don't feed the trolls

16. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EDIT: So if you are reading this thread past Nov. 10, 2011, note that a few of us are responding to a banned and deleted, and obnoxious troll who pranced around here and in other threads for a few hours before he was shown the door.

A very old and obsolete (not to mention incorrect) argument.

Why are you here, anyway? Ooops, my bad, I am not supposed to feed the trolls.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

LOL! Congrats to GM and Hummer! Where are the press releases from them claiming this? Haha regarding this "facts" being "calculated by Toyota".

Go run some numbers yourself re: the supposed total costs for the two vehicles and ask yourself, do they make sense given mileage? Who pays for those amounts? The tooth fairy?
    Sigh... all of your statements are signs of ignorance and being misled by the thoroughly debunked CNW junk science that refuses to die and taking statements on Top Gear as fact. I went thru CNW's garbage before. It's a joke, see MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Friedman's foolish attacks on GM.

Please read thru the links at Environmental - Prius Wiki and then go away until you've digested all of it.

It's funny how CNW claims the Prius' lifespan is 109K miles when the HV battery is warranted for 10 years/150K miles in CA and other CARB states. It's funny how the ones cited at Lifespan/Operating costs - Prius Wiki were still running at ~621K miles, 160K miles, 200K miles and the 426K miles (actually now past 431K miles).

To quote from my own post at http://my350z.com/forum/5884289-post16.html

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Perhaps read the stickies on the same website you have come to harass. As stated, your source of info is completely incorrect and was debunked many years ago.

So do you enjoy giving lots of fuel money to countries who have an active interest in destroying you?

19. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In keeping with the very spirit of the title of this thread, and to add some additional amusements, I will relate this story.

Three weeks ago, I and a Hummer driver arrived at the gas station at the same time. He parked on the other side of the pumps opposite me. Both of us were paying cash, so we both walked in, one after the other, to pre-pay. He got to the counter first and mentioned to the cashier that he will need somewhere between $120 to $140 for the fill up but he wasn't real sure. Somehow, there was a $100 pre-pay limit (reason for that I am unsure). Anyway, he went a little nuts telling her he didn't want to pre-pay twice. He was on his way out when I mentioned I was on pump #2 and I'd need four dollars worth. He stopped dead and stared right at me knowing I was the Prius driver. He didn't look at all happy. No, sir. Not. Happy.

What he couldn't have known at the time was the reason for my visit was to partially fill a small jug for the lawn mower.

The even funnier part was that I wasn't going to need gas for my car for another three weeks, and that my last fill up was in back in August. I filled up several days ago, and needed only 9.6 gallons before the handle clicked off. August 30th to Nov. 6th.

20. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

deleted