1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't run.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fwbrc51, Aug 3, 2014.

1. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't go into R or D, only N and P. It's sitting on the battery tender. I know the battery tender works. The battery tender indicates it's charged. With the battery tender disconnected, It's over 12v with no load, 11.7 with car on.

I did change the oil today. The car started for me to back it off the lift ramps. Hours after the oil was added and the car ran, then shut off, the oil level on the dip stick is a wee over the max fill indicator; I mean a wee, wee over the indicator. The dome lights were off, but the doors were left open for a while when I was vacuuming out the car. It probably killed the 12v batt, but the battery tender ought to have brought the level back up, enough to take on the 'car on' load and then run to charge up the HV.

2008 with a YT optima, installed 1st quarter 2011.

Any thoughts? I need to drive this soon for a 2500 mile trip.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid vehicle warning icon has appeared in the upper left corner of the MFD. You can try disconnecting the 12V battery negative cable at the body for a few minutes to clear the logged DTC. While waiting, make sure both the positive and negative cables are tight at the battery. Then reconnect the negative cable at the body and see if you can make the Prius READY.

If the car cannot be made READY and the HV warning icon remains, you'll have to have the car towed to your local Toyota dealer for service.

It sounds like your 12V battery is in marginal condition but the car should still start. I suggest you consider replacing the battery soon.

3. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roger!

Lately, there's been a small feeling that I should change out the battery soon. I haven't been getting my usual "over 50mpg" with non-ethanol like i have the rest of this year.

4. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12v batt neg cable disconnected for 15 minutes. reconnected and no go. shopping for a batt now. i'll post the results of new 12v installation.

5. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    installed a new D51. I noticed that the vent tube on this new batt is larger than the other D51 I had. I used electrical tape to fill in the gap. The batt was resting at 8v so it's on the charger now. It will charge at less than 2A/hr so it may take a while to bring it up to full charge. I'm crossing my fingers the old batt is the issue.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the new battery at 8V? If yes, I suggest you return it and find an alternate battery source. A new battery should measure 12.9V.

7. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was at 8v. it's still on the charger as of now. i'll let it charge overnight and monitor the charging status, looking for the 'charged' indicator on the battery tender. The green light blinks when it's within 80% of full charge. I can't return it now (store closed) and can't take any other route with it until i get home from work tomorrow, so on the charger it will sit. The manufactured sticker on the new batt was 06/14, so it does seem fishy to me that it was at 8v no more than 2 months after being made. I will wait till the charger indicates full charge or defective battery (won't satisfy charger attempting to fully charge), whichever comes first.

8. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i still can't find info on the codes that were displayed on my screen though:

CODE.......... SUB CODE
    01-DB..... 190-F3-F
    01-D5..... 190-3E-C
    01-DB..... 110-76-5

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ignore those codes on the MFD, they have nothing to do with the Prius power train.

Your experience regarding the new battery is, sadly, another example of poor Optima battery quality.

10. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. I thought that the Optimas were regarded as top notch. Who makes better batteries? I try it out next round in a few years.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The GS Yuasa battery sold by your local Toyota dealer
    2. Exide FP-AGM51JIS

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately there have been numerous posts here on PC, and elsewhere about Optima batteries being supplied with low voltage, to many to be a coincidence. Although charging may recover the battery the fact that it has stood with this voltage for some time does not help the longevity of the battery. At a level of only 8 volts the battery will sulfate rapidly, and should not be accepted.

John (Britprius)

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There should be a production date code on the battery, you can call optima and ask when it was manufactured. I would suspect that battery is over 1 year old already

14. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to my battery tender, it charged up outside of the car. In the car, the MFD states that it's sitting at 12.4v. That ought to be enough for it to run. It still won't turn on. I still have the codes logged in the MFD and still am back at the same problem. I cleared the codes and rechecked the codes in the MFD and it cleared. I turned the car back on and the codes reappeared. I have an ELM327 OBD device and using the "Torque" android app, no codes exist in it.

15. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do those LAN Monitor EMV codes mean? ^

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are your fuses okay?

17. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash. all check out good. no opens.

18. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have the Prius x gauges loaded into the Torque App?

19. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no. what's that?

20. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm using a free version. does the 'x gauges' come with the paid version?