1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Won't Start - Is clicking?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by keribear, Jun 30, 2014.

1. keribear

keribear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I have screaming 8-month-old twins here so I don't have time to search. ;)

Speaking of them, I had them all loaded into the car for a grocery run this morning and then the car wouldn't start! It is a 2011 Prius level 2... never had a problem before now.

The brake pedal won't fully depress, and when I push the start button, I get a big fat nothing and a check engine light. When I got out of the car, I also heard a quiet "clicking" sound coming from the hood. I am unable to lock the car - when I push lock, I get the long beep as if my key is inside, but I am holding it in my hand.

I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me this is some common problem of which I'm unaware or give me some tricks to try before I call the dealership. Being stuck inside alone with my twins all day is not ideal especially when we have nothing for dinner... thanks in advance all.

2. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the 12vdc battery is low, or dead, but I am no expert. WoW, twins! I Will say a prayer for you!

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What he said.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Low 12v for some reason. Maybe it's no longer capable of putting out 12.7 v after sitting awhile? H

#4 HaroldW, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  5. keribear

keribear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Um, thanks all. Upon putting the kids down for a nap (which is perhaps the greatest brain booster ever) I thought about it and realized that that must be what it is. I feel pretty dumb. DH gets home in a few hours and we will try to jump. I blame the brain fart on TMS, Twin Mom Syndrome. Getting out of the house by myself is a pretty Herculean task and having it foiled just when I thought I was in the clear for 20 blissful minutes of adult-only time... well. Brain went byebye.

I am surprised to have to deal with this only 3 years in. But even buying a new battery is preferable to a tow to the dealership.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suspect you might have left a light on in the car, it's not common for a 2011 to have a failure so early......although it's definitely possible.

xpcman likes this.