1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't start...unsure of next steps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brendaisbored, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Brendaisbored

Brendaisbored New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've spent some time looking on here for information but am still not sure what is going on with my car and how to fix it.

I have a 2004 with about 195k miles. I bought it used in 2006 with 17k miles on it. I've never had to replace the batteries or had any major repairs.

Over the last few weeks, it's been very cold where I live. I noticed in the mornings when I would drive that sometimes the interior light and door open light/buzzer would briefly come on. It would stop once it got warm. This same thing would happen if the passenger door was leaned on. Yesterday it started happening all the time, with me having to shut the door three or four times to get the light off. Then, as I drove home last night no amount of door closing or fiddling with the door switch would help. I eventually turned the dome light off. I got home and eventually got the door open light off before heading inside.

This morning, my car won't start. I first tried to start it like normal but just the check engine light came on. I turned the car off, put the fob in the dash and this time the check engine light, ABS light and airbag light came on along with the fuel indicator and the p/r/n/b/d lights all flashing.

I've seen here that it's might be the 12v gone dead/bad? Is that the best option or could it be something else? I've also seen that recharging the battery can be dangerous for the car. Is there a good tutorial or video I should follow? If jump starting the battery works, will that be enough or will this happen again next time I try to start my car?

Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks! :)

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can jump start to it under the hood at the fuse box.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT REVERSE POLARITY!

It is most likely your 12v battery. You can test it with this procedure

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you haven't replaced the 12v battery, then you've gotten well over the average life from it. A jump might get you started, but its not going to fix a dead/dying battery.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! yes, it's the 12 volt. and make sure there's nothing draining the new one after you install it, like an interior light. all the best!(y)

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The door light switch in the door jam is bad/intermittent allowing the door light to come on when car un-attended. That and freezing temps (I assume since you didn't post where you live) killed the very old and original 12 volt battery.

I would not bother jump starting that battery as it is surely very dead. That means it will pull alot of current when jump started. Thats very bad in a Prius.

Buy a new 12 volt battery at the dealer and install it. There are other alternatives but may be easier to just get the battery at the dealer. Its around $200.