1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat "Certified Dealer" Program - looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Danny, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi guys -

I mentioned in the http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...prius-phv-plug-in-updates-23.html#post1370455 thread that I am working on putting together a list of "PriusChat Certified" dealers for the Prius Plug-In (and eventually for all Prius models). The criteria is fairly simple:

• Dealers must have a good rep with established PriusChat members
    • Dealers can't charge for "required" costly add-ons
    • Dealers must offer a special discount off of the Prius Plug-In MSRP (minimum discount required, but dealers can offer more off)
    If anyone else has any other criteria suggestions, please let me know.

What I need from you all now is some input on what dealerships I should target for this program. They will of course have to be in one of the 15 launch states, and I am going to give dealerships protected geographic territories so I will only be choosing one per population area.

So, do you all have any suggestions on what dealerships I should start talking to?

If you are a dealer and would like to participate, please contact me privately using the Contact link.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Priority Toyota on I-95 in Virginia!

How about asking each dealer to have one designated salesperson for the plug-in customers.

1 person likes this.
  3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good idea. i think in the very beginning there was one salesperson that was a "Prius Salesperson"

4. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer must have a factory certified (and prove it) mechanic to work on the Prius PHV

"Dealers can't charge for "required" costly add-ons".......can you explain this more.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every dealer should have a Dianne Whitmire.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think PriusChat certified dealer should participate in PriusChat. Dianne is a great example.

I would recommend Competition Toyota. I chose them for the Gen3 launch priority program. I pass up the opportunity to upgrade but they have great people working there and the service is great.

7. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *edit* Nevermind, the dealer I suggested can't discount apparently. So... nevermind. /end edit

I'm going to use Dianne @ Carson, so... uh, I recommend her. :lol:

8. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Koons Toyota in Tysons is perhaps the best dealer in the area. They're the largest Toyota dealer in the area and sell the largest number of Prius's well. I was told by another dealer that the allocation for the plug-in Prius is linked with how many Prius's were sold in the past two years and how many people sales people and techs have been trained to handle the plug-in Prius.

9. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be in Northern Virginia!

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  11. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would recommend Pauly Toyota out of Crystal Lake, IL. I dont know if IL is on the 15 state list. But, Jeff Balcer from Pauly Toyota is on Prius Chat, and treated me very well when I got my 2010

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would recommend Roseville Toyota, ( Northern CA ) They have explicitly followed my desires and one time even gave me a free hubcap, without even mentioning it. Parts and service people always work well together to answer any questions. The free coffee and donuts are always welcome.

13. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Team Toyota in Lithia Springs, GA has sold to several Prius Chat members here and have given all of them a great discount. Jason Young is the Saleman, and he would be a great POC for this program. Mark Capozza is the GM, he's a great guy as well.

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "The Prius Plug-in will be available starting spring 2012 in 15 launch states:
    Arizona,
    California,
    Connecticut,
    Hawaii,*
    Maine,
    Maryland,
    Massachusetts,
    New Hampshire,
    New Jersey,
    New York,
    Oregon,
    Rhode Island,
    Vermont,
    Virginia
    Washington.

Availability will open up to all other states in 2013."

15. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Figures! Maybe we shouldn't limit this to just Plug-ins and open it to the entire Prius line... Seems like a win-win for the site and the better Toyota Dealerships!

16. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree their service department is excellent, but the the sales sucks.

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree completely with you because in less than one year after launch, it is going to be available nationwide. I thought every dealer should have someone like Dianne Whitmire in California, she posts regularly here in PriusChat.

18. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Perhaps, though I would imagine that would take much more work than just doing this for the plug-in Prius .

19. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I am interested in the best, most southern VA dealership. If we do this we will be driving 300mi and I would really like to have the deal set before making the trip. I would want a dealership that would do what was needed to do everything but sign the papers and make the swap remotely. (Will be trading in 2010 Prius III if we do this).

20. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Taking a step back and looking at the basic premise of a PriusChat certified program I think that you are going to have a bit of a chicken and egg issue. I would imagine that you are looking at this as a way to "monetize" the website and I think that you are going to have to look at the value proposition to the 3 stake holders in this - the dealer, the customer and you (only you know the issues to you and the site).

For a dealer they would look at this as a way to drive sales and unless they can be sure that it will help I do not know if they would bite even if the program were free. They deal with programs like USAA and AAA because they have hundreds of thousands of customers and are open to all car makes and models. I would recommend doing a pilot at a few dealerships where you have a relationship already and use that to get real world data.

The customer needs to at the very least get the same pricing as with AAA or USAA and also some other benefits. What other ways will this program help the consumer?

I'd also look at the name certified. I think that you might be better off with the name recommended. With a certified pre-owned car you get a tangible list of benefits - low mileage, longer warranty inspection, etc- I think that the term certified would lead customers to expect a high level of involvement from PriusChat - ie dealership visits and inspections to make sure that they are up to snuff, help with disputes, assistance after the sale etc. A lot of what you have a the qualifications are going to be covered by Toyota in dealer training before the car launches and also relies on members opinions and recommendations.