1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with keyless entry (2008 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sendconroymail, Nov 25, 2014.

1. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been having a problem with my Prius which I can't figure out. I've searched around for someone else with the same problem with no luck. So here it goes.

About a year ago the back doors to my Prius stopped working. First one side and then about a month later the other. Basically when I would lock and unlock the doors the back doors did not respond. So I would have to manually lock and unlock them. Not a huge deal since I don't use them too much. Now however when I touch the drivers door to open it (with the key in my pocket) the lights flash on and off, I hear a clicking sound coming from someplace under the dash, and the door will not unlock itself. So I have to use the physical key to unlock the door. The ignition button still works fine once I get in.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I did try lubricating the rear door assemblies but that did not work. I also tried replacing the batteries in both remotes which had no effect.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you checked your 12V battery lately? That would be an easy first check.

Do the door locks work with the door switches? If not you may have some failing door lock solenoids. It is unusual to see that many fail that quickly though.

3. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced the 12v battery in 2012 at around 122k. The car has 152k on it now. If I press the button to unlock and lock the doors the drivers door locks but then stays in the lock position and will not unlock again (unless you manually move it with either your hand or the physical key). The back doors will neither lock or unlock when I press the button, you can control those manually however. The front passenger door still works like a charm.

4. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius