1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems engine start 2008

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by t139, Nov 5, 2014.

1. t139

t139 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first post...and I hope that someone can give me some advise on what problems my car may be having - I love my car so much and don't like the new ones so would like to keep this for another few years.
    I'm having problems with my toyota prius 2008...my key no longer works to remotely open it. However when I hold the door handle the car opens. The auto locks are not as chirpy as they used to be..they sound weak..once opened the car starts to beep - low beep beep beep. Then it turns the horn on (as though someone tried to open a car with an alarm),the hazard lights came on. Then I quickly started the car. It worked. BUt the car does not start all the time. These days, on first start, all the lights on the panel turn on - no engine start. I cant turn it off, so hold down thestart button and it goes off. After 15-20 tries doing the same, if I am lucky it will finally start. I carry a jumper battery with me at all times, so that I dont have to wait for AAA..they cam a few times to help me. The lights in the car are also dim while all this happens. Once it starts then everything is back to normal. Anyone having similar problems and any possible recommendations? Thanks a lot...

2. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds to me the 12v battery is going and the keyfob battery might need to be replaced as well. Considering the age of the car

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh yes! It is as though the car is possessed when th 12v starts failing. You can have it replaced now, or wait until the car will not start. Which is what I did. Then I called AAA to jump it, and drove straight to my dealer (phoned that I was on the way). On hour and $271 later, I was back on the road and the car was no longer possessed. I did have to reprogram all my radio presets, as everything gets disconnected when this battery is changed. Had to reset my clock, too. Other than that, no problem. There is a DIY on this forum, as well. My 12v lasted 4.5 years, so you have done well with yours! Have them replace the battery in the fob at the same time. Again there is a DIY on here, if you are interested, but it is not as easy as a watch battery change.

5. t139

t139 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you!

6. t139

t139 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you for the detailed response..possessed is exactly how I feel about the car! I thought I would end up spending 5k for whatever reason and wasn't looking forward to that..makes me feel a lot better now and the price is reasonable..

7. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12v needs replacing. Enjoy getting your car back when done

8. t139

t139 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got new BOSCH 12V battery at Pep Boys. At the first appointment the technician said he couldn't replace it as he had not done it before. The next day the manager apologized for that and got me scheduled right away and had their lead tech to replace it in 15 mins! She said there was no charge and thanked me for my patience :) I was so impressed and my car is no longer possessed!! Couldn't ask for more..thanks to all of you for the diagnosis..

Tony D likes this.
  9. ktyler2

ktyler2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How has your car done since you replaced the battery? I am looking at getting this same battery at a Pep Boys near me. With a 35% of code I found online, I would only pay about $130 for the Bosch battery and installation. There aren't many reviews on this battery, so I am hoping to hear about your experience.