1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with changing the light bulb

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by risto, Nov 13, 2014.

1. risto

risto New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!
    I have burnt driver side H4 light but am not able to change it. After turning the rubber dust cover it comes loose but is stuck somewhere (in the middle) and won't come out. The power connector is disconnected.

I don't want to force it out so is there a trick for this? The metal pin is still holding the bulb in.

Is it a big operation to take the whole sealed beam (is that right word for it? The whole front light box I mean) off so I could take a better look. There is not too much space behind the fuse box.

Thanks!

Risto

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So you removed electrical connection and turned rubber sealing part so that it unlocked from outside? Just turn it back and forth while pulling it away from bulb. Or you can even just pull it out but turning it back and forth is gentler option. You can get bit more room by removing fuse box cover.

Removing light assembly requires (at least) partial removal of front bumper. So you don’t want to do it if you don’t have to.

PS: Tämän olisi varmaan voinut laittaa suomeksikkin...

#2 valde3, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. risto

risto New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll just have to give it another try wiggling back and forth. Feels like the rubber is stuck on the middle. If not succesfull then I'll just have to drive to a Toyota service; don't even want to know what they would charge.

Ps. Et sattumoisin asu Turun lähellä niin saat itse yrittää :D Kumi on reunoilta auki mutta keskeltä jäkittää kiinni. Tekisi mieli repiä, mutta sitten varmaan tulee enempi tuhoa.

iPhone ?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just spin it enough to get it unstuck from bulb.

Harmillisesti tulisi aikapitkä matka, melkein tankillinen bensiiniä reissuun…

5. Lumpy05

Lumpy05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of mine was very stuck. Had to pull it hard enough I thought it would rip before it came loose. I'd rather buy new parts before paying the dealer.

6. risto

risto New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for not letting me quit and drive to the dealer! I was finally able to change the bulb. The rubber around the bulb was just stuck tight. I managed to open the pin then got rubber with the bulb out.

I used to drive old Volvo V70 with H7 so you basiclly could dive under the hood and had pleanty room to change the bulb. But now I know how that system is built.

Can't wait till the other side burns out :|

Thanks again!

iPhone ?