1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Production 2012 Prius Plug-In Set for Frankfurt Debut - 77% increase in MPG

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Aug 12, 2011.

1. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it just me or is the "plug in hybrid" badge on the side a horrible, horrible photoshop? ;)

(look at the zoomed picture that usbseawolf2000 posted)

1 person likes this.
  2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With only 13 miles from battery and the rest of the vehicle being a regular Prius, I would expect the tires to be the exact same tires as the regular Prius. Toyota has even advertised that it is a "regular Prius" after the battery is depleted. If they used wide tires, it would get WORSE mpg than a "regular Prius."
    I'm guessing the tires in this photo are just for the photo.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I too hope so! The weight difference isn't much so there is no need to be that wide to stop just as fast.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

or lazy photoshop work :)

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    What many of you are forgetting is each countries Prius is equipped -differently-. So what you see will change for the UK because it's a "show car", and it will change again for the US.

Please stop speculating on stuff that isn't even final! Have a beer and relax. It'll come soon and you'll know!

6. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear what you're saying but speculating is half the fun. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Disappointing (ugly) alloy wheels. At least they are 16".

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, so let's take a look at the picture...

It's a European car so of course there will be changes between it and ours in the USA but usually they are things like no yellow reflectors in the front headlights etc. Here are a few things I see right away:

1) The door handles are silver like the demo car which has been running around in the US but the side mirror is not, it is body colored. The demo car had both side mirror and door handles silver. (edit: just added a 2nd picture showing the demo plug in prius and how it had silver door handles and silver side mirrors)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) I posted a thread here ( http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...96664-want-know-about-2012-prius-changes.html ) in which car and driver said there would be a front fascia change. I can see it evident with the brushed stainless strip across the front bumper where the license plate goes. Also, the fog lamps are now in the center area of the front, where they were on the Gen II. Now, that asks a question. If the turn signals are in the same spot as on the current Gen III what is in the lens where the fog lamps used to be? It doesn't look like it's a fake grey knockout in the picture:

[​IMG]

3) The headlights almost look 'thinner'. They must be LED because of the two projector beams, but I don't see the area that on the current LED headlights serves as the LED flood light. Could it be there but more hidden, or relocated? (I'm adding a second picture which is the 2010/11 LED Headlights for comparison). Definitely you can see the difference in that the space above the 2 projector beams is missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4) The chrome accents around the headlight projectors and on the side of the rear tail-lights seems to have been replaced with a 'softer' more satin silver color. I actually like this alot as I was never a chrome kind of guy...

[​IMG]
    Can't wait to see it from even more angles!

5 people like this.
  9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I tried to find a picture real quick of a 2010/11 lined up at nearly the same angle but quickly this is all I could find for a comparison:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those tires on the PHV look like super Mr Donut tires. Sure hope they offer a low profile 17" version.

Mike

11. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm loving the styling changes! hopefully the interior plastics feel more premium in the facelifted model though...

12. matrix_uam

matrix_uam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    " ...what is in the lents where fog lamps used to be??..."

For me it is clear... Based on european Auris HSD are daylight leds lamps. My friend who works for Toyota Spain has one and there is where it has daylight leds lamps. I am not sure but I belived it will be standar for all new car sell in Europe soon.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The tricky part is how to test EV efficiency without the ICE turning on.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Run it with the fuel pump fuse removed. The ICE won't start then :p

Mike

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A feature we all hope the production model offers is the display of kWh consumed. Ideally, that would include charging overhead and prewarming, not just the electric used while driving. Then we'll be able to report true overall efficiency, as the MPGe value attempts to convey.

As for MPG, I'm expecting to see an average around 80 for my particular driving (20,000 miles annually). The effects of winter will be very interesting. And many times throughout the year I go for long drives.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The tester will hopefully not be too distracted by any warning signs flashing on the MFD then.:D

1 person likes this.
  17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there only one trim available for the PHV model? What if the LED headlights are only available on the high-end PHV trim (same as the Five)?

Also, looks like the one pictured has Advanced Tech package (or at least Intelligent Parking Assist) as evidenced by the sensor on the side of the bumper below. I have trouble believing the tires are P240/50ZR16 and the lame looking alloys look 15" to me. Is the PHV model heavier requiring it to be equipped with the 15" wheels just like the Canadian models with Adv. Tech. package?

[​IMG]

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am unsure if the 'homologous' test cycle mentioned in the OP is the same thing as the NEDC, but the latter cycle is 15 km long. That seems short enough for all EV except for high speeds and severe acceleration, even with the expected battery size of the Plug-in Prius,

More details needed !

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to the email my dealer sent (slipped early) me, there will be two trims for NY. I too think the base trim would not have the LED lamp.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a very odd size. Did you notice that the text on the tyre faces outward rather than inward like it does on our tyres? Also, it says "SPECIAL" after the P240/50ZR16 (the smaller one, not the large text).

Z-rated tyres are also not necessary for a Prius. Methinks this is a showcar that they took a photo of.

Because they measure in imperial mpg. 70mpg Imp = 60mpg US.

Ours has 15" because our Tech Pack has the Solar Roof package.

It would be nice of LEDs are on all models but you'd think Toyota would want one of the two models that usbseawolf mentioned to be a base model, otherwise, why have two models? We've already heard rumours of a Camry Hybrid LE and a Hybrid XLE for 2012....