1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming a New Remote - 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by babubhai, Jun 4, 2013.

1. babubhai

babubhai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2005 Prius, It has the smart key. Only came with one FOB. The nearest Toyota Dealership quoted me $321 + Tax for a new FOB and programming. I saw some on eBay for about $100.00, and I saw some programming instructions on this forum, can I use them to program it? What's the difference between Non SKS vs SKS? Please help!!

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ovni likes this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The difference between the SKS and the non SKS type is the chips inside and the color of the logo on the backside.

A non SKS keyfob will have a "black" Toyota logo on it, whereas a SKS keyfob will have a "silver" Toyota logo on it. Also, if you have a Prius that is equipped with SKS, a non SKS keyfob will not work properly.

black.jpg silver.jpg

5. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dorunron.. The chip inside the keys is the same. You can program non sks fob onto an sks car. The key will only start the car when placed in the slot.
    You won't be able to program the remote portion of the non sks key to work with the doors of the sks cars. The keys work on different frequencies.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I can accept that. I was under the impression that the chips were different. However, it sounds as though there is a difference in the tuning of the transmitter on the key fob and the receiver on the Prius.

Is there any way to program the lock/unlock buttons on a black key fob whereas they will unlock/lock the doors on a SKS equipped Prius? Or can it only be opened with the hard cut key or a existing SKS type (silver logo) keyfob?

7. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dorunron...I have tried different methods of making the black logo key lock/unlock work on an sks car and it just doesn't happen. My equipment shows the remote portion(pressing of the buttons) is the same frequency on both keys. Its just a different modulation.
    I'm working with a company to convert all older Toyota remotes onto remote keys. We are currently working on FCC ID GQ43VT14T.

[​IMG]

dorunron and usnavystgc like this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for that. I was under the impression that the black key fob's will NOT work with the SKS equipped Prius as far as opening the doors. You have verified that for me.

Hopefully sometime in the future you will be able to come up with something that will "replace" the expensive keyfob that Toyota offers that will have all of the features of the SKS type key fob. It is well known just how expensive these key fobs are and the added expense of programming thereof.

Ron